Reload this Page >

Pro's and Con's - Life in KL

Pro's and Con's - Life in KL

Old Dec 9th 2010, 1:23 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

Yve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pro's and Con's - Life in KL

My husband and I are thinking of moving to KL. How developed is it? What is life like for Europeans? Is it a prob only speaking English? Is KL multicultural? How expensive? Foreigners welcomed? We have small children, how is crime and safety compared to London? Is it clean? What do you hate? What are our visa options? Any replies appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice
Default Re: Pro's and Con's - Life in KL

Originally Posted by Yve
My husband and I are thinking of moving to KL. How developed is it? What is life like for Europeans? Is it a prob only speaking English? Is KL multicultural? How expensive? Foreigners welcomed? We have small children, how is crime and safety compared to London? Is it clean? What do you hate? What are our visa options? Any replies appreciated. Thank you.
Hi why dont you go and visit for a week or so I love KL but would not live there due to it been to busy i would live further upnorth and it would be cheaper too.
firefox
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

I have just moved to Kl with my husband and daughter. We love it! Ok we have only been here a week. We came out for a couple of weeks in the summer to for a look around, i'd highly recommend that you do the same as i'm sure it's not everyone's thing.
How developed is it....very...when you are in the bid shopping centres it's much like being in the UK M&S, Mango, Mothercare etc.
We only speak English and we've had no problems so far!
Malaysia is very multicultural and very accepting of different cultures....and by the way, Christmas time is turning out to be great out here in a Muslim country. Last night we watched a Christmas show in a mall surrounded by Santa hats and Christmas trees.
What do i hate...nothing yet, but i'm sure i'll find something given time.
Visa options you need to find work before you come out, and then they will sort that out for you.
Good luck in making your decision
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:39 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

Thanks!
Old Dec 15th 2010, 9:31 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Pro's: Cheaper cost of living (mostly)
Being able to have help in the home (if this is of interest to you)
Accessibility to SE Asia, lots of travel opportunities.
The weather
Great food
Friendly people
Easy to meet other expats

Cons: Cost of buying a car
Cost of buying alcohol
Local drivers
Crime (bag snatching, robberies etc - not to mention the stories you hear about child kidnapping but I havent worked out whether thats true yet or not).
The weather (the heat gets too much sometimes and it can be difficult to head out with children)
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:38 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

ajw do you have children, if so what ages? Child kidnapping, is that rumours or from the local news, tv, local or foreign children...thats worrying.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:39 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

Has anyone you known been a victim of crime?
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:23 pm
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 4 year old and a 10 month old baby.

Dont know anyone who has been a victim of the child kidnapping crime which is why I'm not sure how true the rumours are. However, walking past the banks in Bangsar there are always posters up the window, pictures of children who have been taken. I've also heard that one child a week disappears from 1 Utama (a shopping centre here). Who knows? They certainly dont publicise it. You've just got to be careful, like anywhere I suppose.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:24 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

Are these Local children or foreign too?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:11 pm
ajw

Originally Posted by Yve
Are these Local children or foreign too?
Local kids.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

I've lived in Malaysia off and on a total of 18 years. In that time I had one break-in and that back in the 80's. Asians (see Chinese in particular) are fantastic rumour mongers and story tellers....so while there can be a grain of truth in the rumours, its mostly just rumours.

The fact that in a country of 28mil there is newspaper space for these minor crimes, tells me there is desperation for a bad news story. I know in Australia, these stories wouldn't even make the back page....and I still can't speak any local language...bar the few important words like "one more beer please" in Malay, Hokkien, Mandarin and Cantonese. In Tamil just empty the glass and it will be refilled.

Malaysia is the place to have a very acceptable lifestyle at an affordable price.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

MrMark is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Pro's and Con's - Life in KL

Originally Posted by joamelie
I have just moved to Kl with my husband and daughter. We love it! Ok we have only been here a week. We came out for a couple of weeks in the summer to for a look around, i'd highly recommend that you do the same as i'm sure it's not everyone's thing.
How developed is it....very...when you are in the bid shopping centres it's much like being in the UK M&S, Mango, Mothercare etc.
We only speak English and we've had no problems so far!
Malaysia is very multicultural and very accepting of different cultures....and by the way, Christmas time is turning out to be great out here in a Muslim country. Last night we watched a Christmas show in a mall surrounded by Santa hats and Christmas trees.
What do i hate...nothing yet, but i'm sure i'll find something given time.
Visa options you need to find work before you come out, and then they will sort that out for you.
Good luck in making your decision
Nice post, I love it. How can you find work before coming over? I visited Malaysia before and I loved it. I want to find away to get a contract for year and try it out to see if I want to stay in KL.

Can you tell me where did you look to find work?

Thanks,
Mark
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MrMark
Nice post, I love it. How can you find work before coming over? I visited Malaysia before and I loved it. I want to find away to get a contract for year and try it out to see if I want to stay in KL.

Can you tell me where did you look to find work?

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark,

I found my job through an advert on the internet and following a phone interview was on a plane out here. 3 years later and I've not looked back.

I live in Johor Bahru, just across the water from Singapore and all I heard before I moved here (and since from expats in Singapore) was how dangerous Malaysia (especially JB) is. Well, I can honestly say that apart from my car window being smashed once (outside a bike shop, nothing was stolen I guess they just wanted me to know not to park there again!), I've never had any issues with crime.

If you are keen to move here then try looking on places like jobstreet.com.my or mystarjob.com though there are rarely 'expat' jobs advertised. A lot of people come here with MNCs or through people they know.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:51 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

We could do with a JB thread on here. I've never been there.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

MrMark is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Pro's and Con's - Life in KL

Originally Posted by mnicol
Hi Mark,

I found my job through an advert on the internet and following a phone interview was on a plane out here. 3 years later and I've not looked back.

I live in Johor Bahru, just across the water from Singapore and all I heard before I moved here (and since from expats in Singapore) was how dangerous Malaysia (especially JB) is. Well, I can honestly say that apart from my car window being smashed once (outside a bike shop, nothing was stolen I guess they just wanted me to know not to park there again!), I've never had any issues with crime.

If you are keen to move here then try looking on places like jobstreet.com.my or mystarjob.com though there are rarely 'expat' jobs advertised. A lot of people come here with MNCs or through people they know.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Hi mnicol,

Thanks for the reply and info. I really appreciated it.

I visited JB in 1999 I actually liked it, especially Desaru and Tioman Island. Downtown was small then, I am sure it has changed a lot now. I will take your advice and look in the sites you mentioned. Thanks again

Mark
From Vancouver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.