Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Project Manager Opportunities in Malaysia?

Project Manager Opportunities in Malaysia?

Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:51 am
Just Joined

JLam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Project Manager Opportunities in Malaysia?

I am currently looking for Project Manager opportunities in Malaysia, but haven't had much luck.

I've been a Project Manager in a globally leading IT company, in the UK, delivering various Data Science projects for just over a year. Prior to that, I was a Consultant for the same company, and before that, a Aerospace Quality Engineer.

I have a bachelors degree in Aerospace Engineering - graduated just over 2 years ago, so I don't have vast amounts of experience under my belt, but I have climbed up to my current position fairly quickly.

Keen to move to Malaysia because my partner is from Malaysia. I've asked my company to transfer me over, but there aren't any new projects, and they would always choose to use someone local that is significantly cheaper...

Any help or advice to secure a job in Malaysia (KL preferably) would really be appreciated, as the only advice I've had so far is, "give up project management etc. and retrain as a teacher..."
Old Mar 30th 2017, 1:55 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Project Manager Opportunities in Malaysia?

Originally Posted by JLam
I am currently looking for Project Manager opportunities in Malaysia, but haven't had much luck.

I've been a Project Manager in a globally leading IT company, in the UK, delivering various Data Science projects for just over a year. Prior to that, I was a Consultant for the same company, and before that, a Aerospace Quality Engineer.

I have a bachelors degree in Aerospace Engineering - graduated just over 2 years ago, so I don't have vast amounts of experience under my belt, but I have climbed up to my current position fairly quickly.

Keen to move to Malaysia because my partner is from Malaysia. I've asked my company to transfer me over, but there aren't any new projects, and they would always choose to use someone local that is significantly cheaper...

Any help or advice to secure a job in Malaysia (KL preferably) would really be appreciated, as the only advice I've had so far is, "give up project management etc. and retrain as a teacher..."
Marry your partner, get a local visa, and get paid as a local. Currently you don't have enough years of experience to prove there are no locals that are able to do the job you would do. Plenty of grads out there. Without a niche skill set and years of experience you won't find a company able to sponsor you for a visa. Can you speak and write in at least English, Behasa and Mandarin? Tamil also useful. Local grads can.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Marry your partner, get a local visa, and get paid as a local. Currently you don't have enough years of experience to prove there are no locals that are able to do the job you would do. Plenty of grads out there. Without a niche skill set and years of experience you won't find a company able to sponsor you for a visa. Can you speak and write in at least English, Behasa and Mandarin? Tamil also useful. Local grads can.
This post says it all.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 7:28 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think identifying the companies in KL you would like to work for and making a direct approach is your best bet.
But it could be worth talking to some of the (UK) International Recruitment Agencies such as: https://www.robertwalters.com.my/about-us.html

Good luck!

JC3

JC3
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could get some advice through https://www.internations.org/ . They are active in Malaysia.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:45 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have vast amounts of experience under my belt
there aren't any new projects, and they would always choose to use someone local that is significantly cheaper...
Internations cannot help, and will only be interested in you once you move. It's an impressive self belief you have, that you are worth more than a qualified, experienced multi lingual local.
Old May 19th 2017, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

abidx is an unknown quantity at this point

Its tough for sure - the lack of experience will be a major obstacle, suggest using LinkedIn to 'network' and connect with expats already in this line of field in Malaysia/Singapore. As suggested by earlier folks it will be easier to start working on local salary and then work your way upwards.....all the best!