Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Penang - Why This Asian Paradise May Be The Best Place In The World To Retire

Penang - Why This Asian Paradise May Be The Best Place In The World To Retire

Old Nov 22nd 2014, 7:45 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Penang - Why This Asian Paradise May Be The Best Place In The World To Retire

Interesting article in the Huffington Post:

See:
Why This Asian Paradise May Be The Best Place In The World To Retire | Kathleen Peddicord

JC3
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 12:05 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang - Why This Asian Paradise May Be The Best Place In The World To Retire

It makes some good points. No doubt that the medical facilities on Penang Island are a big plus for anyone thinking of long term retirement. And there's such a diverse range of things to do here.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang - Why This Asian Paradise May Be The Best Place In The World To Retire

Originally Posted by bakedbean
And there's such a diverse range of things to do here.
Do you think you could please give some examples? I am not challenging your view, but I am genuinely concerned that if I were to retire to Penang, I would find very little to do.

I appreciate everyone is different, and has different hobbies and interests, but surely the climate has a big affect on outdoor pursuits for example.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 1:49 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I've read lots of Kathleen Peddicord's articles over the years targeted mainly at the the American retirement market - she is always extremely enthusiastic about new retirement discoveries. I don't disagree with what she says but I do hope it doesn't mean a sudden influx of New Worlders.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 1:57 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Things to do? Off the top of my head (and I am partly thinking of my friends hobbies as well as my own)

Discover all,the heritage sites
Learn a language
Learn to paint
Walking
Join a club..... IWA, German society, French Society (can't remember the name exactly)
Golf, swimming, sailing
Learn dragon boat racing (some friends doing that)
Start a Penang blog
Do,some volunteering
Start up an expat group

I like the fact that there are a lot of groups in Penang doing different things. There's a lot of scope.

Does the climate have an effect on outdoor pursuits? Yes I suppose so but depends what your hobbies are. I go for walks. The Penang Botanic Garden is just magic, but I don't spend all day there.

What climate are you comparing with? I don't know which country you are from but it's pretty 'taters in the UK at the moment. What outdoor pursuits would you be doing there? It's all relative.

Would you be bored? It depends on the person I think. I saw a great saying once.....
Life is not boring. People are boring.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 2:01 pm

Tennis
Gardening
Reading (there are tons of book sales on....always)
Hash Harriers
Fishing
Find religion (there are plenty here)
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Discover all,the heritage sites
Learn a language
Learn to paint
Walking
Join a club..... IWA, German society, French Society (can't remember the name exactly)
Golf, swimming, sailing
Learn dragon boat racing (some friends doing that)
Start a Penang blog
Do,some volunteering
Start up an expat group
Tennis
Gardening
Reading (there are tons of book sales on....always)
Hash Harriers
Fishing
Find religion

bb, those are retirement pursuits you could partake of anywhere in the world, nothing particular to Penang.

That's not to say I don't think Penang is a good place to retire.

I would say that the temp and humidity will make most of the sports you suggest except sailing and swimming to be at least uncomfortable.

I find when people in UK ask me what I do in retirement, that after 'stuff on the computer' and 'the gym' I have to dig deep to remember things.
But I'm busy all day and wouldn't be able to start anything else.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 4:38 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg

I find when people in UK ask me what I do in retirement, that after 'stuff on the computer' and 'the gym' I have to dig deep to remember things.
And there's TV. I must say I'm far too busy to do any gym - the commercial breaks just aren't long enough
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 4:42 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I was interested to see the bit about the greeting,"Have you eaten yet?" A common Thai greeting is,"Have you eaten rice yet?" So it made me wonder whether this was a common Asian thing and are there many other countries where people greet each other in the same way.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

steveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Do you think you could please give some examples? I am not challenging your view, but I am genuinely concerned that if I were to retire to Penang, I would find very little to do.

I appreciate everyone is different, and has different hobbies and interests, but surely the climate has a big affect on outdoor pursuits for example.
avoid the lunchtime for outdoor activities and enjoy the rest of the day!
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by ex reg

bb, those are retirement pursuits you could partake of anywhere in the world, nothing particular to Penang.

That's not to say I don't think Penang is a good place to retire.

Yes....exactly You think I should be doing something "exotic" and particular to Penang? Like what?

Asian cookery classes I suppose.... though why would you when you can eat out so cheaply?

Would you be swimming, walking, Hash Harriering, Dragon boating, at this time of the year (November) in the UK?

And you can do "stuff on the computer" and "the gym" anywhere too.

I think one of the plus points though, for Penang, is that a lot of the "stuff" is way cheaper than some other places (Singapore, UK, etc). In retirement one has to watch the ringgits.

And the medical facilities are good and plenty of them. That is so so important for retirement planning.

And everyone speaks English more or less.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 3:47 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by bakedbean

And everyone speaks English more or less.
Yes, we noticed
Old Nov 24th 2014, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Being able to swim in an outdoor pool all year round is a big plus here, and even better when it's a salt water pool. Only times I couldn't is when there is a thunderstorm.
Go walking in the early morning when it's quiet, cool and air is fresh without having to put on a jacket is another plus. Enjoying the sound of the waves on one side, and the view of the green hills when I turn my head is very relaxing.
Travelling from Penang to Selangor to enjoy the contrast of of the 2 states is a mere 4-5 hours at my driving speed.
Not having to winterize my plants is another plus ;-)

Last edited by columbine; Nov 24th 2014 at 1:11 am.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 8:14 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by teejaydee

Personally, I do not think there is so much to do in Penang that I could live here all year round. It's just too hot for many outdoor activities. But it is very well located for travelling to other countries if that is what floats your boat.

Having said that it is a very easy place to live and each time I stay I find that I don't travel as much as I planned to.

To BB's list I would add snooker - in fact the top floor of Prangin Mall has plenty to do while your other half shops.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Personally, I do not think there is so much to do in Penang that I could live here all year round. It's just too hot for many outdoor activities. But it is very well located for travelling to other countries if that is what floats your boat.

Having said that it is a very easy place to live and each time I stay I find that I don't travel as much as I planned to.

To BB's list I would add snooker - in fact the top floor of Prangin Mall has plenty to do while your other half shops.
with interest - as a westerner, I would like to know only the negatives of retiring to Penang (or Malaysia) & not to compare it to any place else in the world?

- since its an Asian country & I'm guessing (maybe I'm wrong on this), likely few if any English speaking peoples - are they few & far between, if so, which area of the country is to be avoided

- cultural issues within the country related to westerners living there?

- which are the top 5 cities, towns or areas that a retiree should live?

- cost of living - own, rent & general other items which are too expensive?

- healthcare: quality, wait time, cost if any & prescription cost (budget/person) or the cost of fully loaded medical insurance?

- safety for the elderly, is it safe to walk outside alone at any time?

- crime & corruption of any kind diectly effecting the general public?

- fear of theft & break ins?

- climate - is it too hot, humid, too cold, wet ... seasonal issues?

Last edited by not2old; Nov 24th 2014 at 6:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.