Penang Food

Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:17 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food

What d'ya think about Thai food in Penang? I've not actually tasted any yet but it doesn't look very Thai to me somehow. I saw someone with a food blog waxing deliriously about a genuine Thai coffeeshop in Tanjung Bungah called Fred's Thai Food. Great Thai name huh? The pics looked real interesting and would like to try out some of the dishes but it looked kind of Fusion food. Dishes with sambals? Thais don't do sambals, do they? All the same, I'll probably give it a try.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:04 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
What d'ya think about Thai food in Penang? I've not actually tasted any yet but it doesn't look very Thai to me somehow. I saw someone with a food blog waxing deliriously about a genuine Thai coffeeshop in Tanjung Bungah called Fred's Thai Food. Great Thai name huh? The pics looked real interesting and would like to try out some of the dishes but it looked kind of Fusion food. Dishes with sambals? Thais don't do sambals, do they? All the same, I'll probably give it a try.
It might be that it's more Southern Thai or Malay food, seeing how the muslim provinces bordering Malaysia have got their own culture and language ( Yawi ) they might have food you wouldn't normally see anywhere else. Just a guess. I really like Masaman ( which my wife does very well ) but my wife's family wouldn't touch it because it's just not the sort of Thai food they are used to from where they are from.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:05 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
Choices...land of scams and smiles or land of coloured shirts and grimaces (due to too many chilli padi)
I was grimacing this morning !

time to think though.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you're probably right about the very southern Thai food. Someone described a Thai stall here as Pattani Thai and we muttered a few of our very limited Thai phrases to the Muslim Thai girl there and she just kinda stared blankly at us ah well.

I like the Mussaman curry too. Well I've only tried the Phuket version so that may be very different of course.

Mmmm curries.... might go for a curry tonight
Old Mar 17th 2011, 1:54 am

Yes you're probably right about the very southern Thai food. Someone described a Thai stall here as Pattani Thai and we muttered a few of our very limited Thai phrases to the Muslim Thai girl there and she just kinda stared blankly at us ah well.

I like the Mussaman curry too. Well I've only tried the Phuket version so that may be very different of course.

Mmmm curries.... might go for a curry tonight
that sounds about right,

What other food do you like, how about the Isaan food ?
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:32 am

I don't think I've tried Isaan food but, hang on a minute, we're mixing our forums here Should be discussing this on the Thailand forum.

I eat just about anything or at least I'll try anything once.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:12 am

Try a laab or namtog next time you're in Thailand. Got to be done.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Another place to explore:
There's a Tuesday Night Market at Tg Bungah behind the bus terminal where the day wet market is....starting 6pm till quite late. Vendors selling veggies, all sorts of cooked food, tropical fish, etc. Usually it's so busy and parking is full if you go late. Best to go just before 6pm to get a parking space
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:24 am

Okay... that's interesting to note. What's the foodcourt next to the wet market like... or is that the one you're talking about?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Try a laab or namtog next time you're in Thailand. Got to be done.
I've heard of larb but not namtog. Naam is water, right? Tog water, heh heh.

I just googled larb and it says that it's the Laotian national dish and that Isaan food is kind of Laotian? Sounds good. Must give that a try.

By the way.... at No Eyed Deer eatery in Prima Tanjung (Tanjung Tokong) their signature dish is Laotian Laksa and it is fab... verrrrrry spicy though but full of flavour, and very filling.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Okay... that's interesting to note. What's the foodcourt next to the wet market like... or is that the one you're talking about?
No food court at the Tuesday night market, but lots of individual carts all around the lane that goes around the complex. Not exactly inside the 'day wet market'
Old Mar 26th 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

That market behind the bus station has a good and very cheap range of food from breakfast to early lunch. The market is also unusually clean and not smelly ( even the loo's). Western style breakfast RM2.80, most drinks RM1, big range of Malay, Chinese and even my favourite Roti Canai.

Another great place for Lunch is the food court under the Ferringhi Mutiara Apartments in Jln Sungai Emas, Batu Ferringhi. Won Ton with char siew, shredded chicken, crisp leaf veg etc RM3. excellent economy rice (chup fun), low cost drinks, succulent chicken rice.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Might get to try that soon!!!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:37 am

What d'ya think of these banana leaf places? Some chums took us to a little Indian cafe type place last week in Tanjung Bungah. Me n Mr Bakedbean just pointed at a few dishes that looked interesting no idea what we were ordering.

Our chums both ordered Set Banana Leaf meals. Two big banana leaves plonked on the table and they come round plopping dollops of different foodstuffs. Not sure what to make of that. Our friend sitting opposite me was doing the traditional "hands on" routine. Maybe I should say Hands In. Awww yechhh.... what a mess. They did have forks and spoons available too.

Anyway... food was quite tasty and cheap beer available too, quite surprising as a lot of Indian places don't do beer. And..... ..... very surprised to see someone ordering a bottle of wine. We were told it was "duty free wine" heh heh. Fell off back of a boat I think
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Some can be scrumptious. Went to an Indian place Opposite Crown Jewel Hotel for a super Roti Canai breakfast, but noted they had tandouri and all sorts af very nice looking Indian food...and yes you can eat with your right hand there. I'm told the evening meal there has gone up in price, but good quality.

If you don't like your roti dripping with oil. you can ask for "European Special" without oil and lovely and crispy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.