Penang Food

Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Penang Food

I know I'm going to be shot down into a million pieces, as it seems to be a universal feeling that Penang has the best food. Don't get me wrong I love Penang and the food generally is OK. But NOT the best. There is as good or better to be found in most parts of the country and usually at a much cheaper price. A superb won ton with home made soi gow and home made char siew in Selayang has gone up to $3.80 for a plate and soup that is a complete meal. I have yet to find nearly as good in Penang and prices for what I would call a half plate around $5.00. One exception is behind the markets in Jln Kuala Kangsar where a reasonable small plate can be had for $2.50.

Penang is "famous" for Char Kuah Teow, but with one exception at Kampung Kuala Sungai Pinang, they are ordinary and again hall plate for around $4-5. Places like Kampung Koh have vastly superior Char Kuah Teow "full" plate for $2.80. And so it goes.

Lets say Penang has a variety of "nice" food at higher than average prices and if you want a good corner roti canai and teh tarik, leave Penang as its just too hard to find...probably as they can't charge exorbinate prices for it without outcry.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband & Astro HD in Penang

I totally agree with Strider.
As I've said on here before the local food in Penang is OK only.

Except that the 'international' restaurants can be very good.

The other thing why does everyone want high speed Broadband.
Here in Singapore I have a 1 Mbps connection and it does everything I want even watching live TV over the internet.

Last edited by ex reg; Mar 5th 2011 at 11:12 am.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Viva foodcourt in Penang does an excellent "large" (adequate) char kway grow for ringgits 3.50. Err that is 70 pence, exorbitant right?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hey Backedbean, when you get back from the land of red and yellow shirts, you better split this into a new topic...like I tried to and stuffed up.

I will try the Viva Char Kuah Teow when I get back up to Penang after 15th. See if its as good as the one at Kampung Kuala Sungai Pinang. Viva flied lice is OK I know although portion small, but their dim sum is a no no.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food

Crikey Strider, I managed to split the post, heh heh

Back from the land of many coloured shirts and sooooo nice to be back in Penang. Though the curries were very nice but all that coconut not good for the waistline

But isn't it the fact that everywhere you're gonna get good food and bad food. Cannot say that ALL Penang food places are good, right?

At Viva, didn't think much of the rice stall. The Assam Laksa stall is another good one. You can get a "large" one for RM 3.50. I would call it medium size but quite filling - you don't need much else to go with it.

Mr bakedbean is stuck on the Hokkien Mee stall at Viva and seems to eat nothing else down there. It does look very nice but i don't have much to compare with. Used to eat Hokkien Mee in Singapore and that was pretty bland. Unfortunately they seem to cut corners in Singapore these days, or at least they did last time I visited. Or maybe we were eating at the wrong establishments? Ex-Reg may have something different to say.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bakedbean
But isn't it the fact that everywhere you're gonna get good food and bad food. Cannot say that ALL Penang food places are good, right?
Glad to see your back and thanks for the split..haven't checked it out yet.

I'm looking forward to trying the Viva Kuah teow as it one of my favorites. Actually I'm into Cantonese fried (actually soupy) kauh teow type mee these days. But you go through phases hey. But you are right, there is good and bad everywhere.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

wot am I talking about...this is the split...dah!!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

The char koay teow, soupy koay teow, Hokkien mee and Pg laksa at the food court behind Prima Tanjung are quite good. Went there twice last wk.
Was at Papa Rich at Straits Quay, tried the Hokkien Mee, was good, bigger helping compared to the hawker's and under rm10 The redbean drink was excellent!

Welcome back to the 'land of the living' Bakedbean
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks columbine. We have been promising ourselves to try the food there at Tanjung Prima. Also we want to check out breakfast at the Tanjong Bungah market as usually food at markets is pretty good.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:27 am

Is that the Old City Foodcourt (was Mangrove Foodcourt) at Prima Tanjung? I only ate there once before and had Hokkien Char which was quite nice, a bit on the small side, but foodcourt food can be like that sometimes, can't it.

Papa Rich? Is that a new one at Straits Quay? Only been away a week and new eateries sprouting up all over the place

Keep meaning to take a look at a new place I saw being fitted out called Nyonya Delights Restoran up at Casa Permai (or is it Permai park?) in Tg Bungah hillside.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
Thanks columbine. We have been promising ourselves to try the food there at Tanjung Prima. Also we want to check out breakfast at the Tanjong Bungah market as usually food at markets is pretty good.
Is that the one with the German restaurant in the road behind?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:11 am

Ex-Reg, think you probably mean Mutiara foodcourt, which is opposite The Reef condo, and behind it is Tg Bungah village with Ingolf's Kneipe pub/restaurant? Don't know about that foodcourt. One friend who lives here said that Mutiara is terrible. Got another friend who visits Penang occasionally and he reckons the food is good, so I dunno. I know that little area is really packed out most evenings and sometimes difficult to park up. There's quite a few restaurants around about that area.

Old City foodcourt (used to be called Mangrove) in Prima Tanjung is on the crossroads of Jalan Fettes and Jalan Tanjung Tokong, opposite Island Plaza mall.

There's also another foodcourt. I think Columbine mentioned called Tanjung Tokong Foodcourt - that's also opposite Island Plaza and diagonally opposite Prima Tanjung. Are you with me so far? Tg Tokong foodcourt has got free parking so always doing a roaring trade there.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

haha Bakedbean, you got it right Old City Foodcourt now. It's just so confusing it seems they change names every two years!
Just go in by the side road/lane next to Hong Leong Bank in the corner

Tanjung Tokong Foodcourt is next to Petronas gas station on TG. Tokong Road - just before the traffic lights and Island Plaza if coming from Tg Bungah.

Yes Bakedbean, Papa Rich is about a week old at Straits Quay
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:19 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by columbine
The char koay teow, soupy koay teow, Hokkien mee and Pg laksa at the food court behind Prima Tanjung are quite good. Went there twice last wk.
Was at Papa Rich at Straits Quay, tried the Hokkien Mee, was good, bigger helping compared to the hawker's and under rm10 The redbean drink was excellent!

Welcome back to the 'land of the living' Bakedbean
rather than the 'land of the scams', ooooooooops I meant ' smiles ' !!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
rather than the 'land of the scams', ooooooooops I meant ' smiles ' !!
Choices...land of scams and smiles or land of coloured shirts and grimaces (due to too many chilli padi)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.