Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Passport for child of a UK Expat born in Malaysia

Passport for child of a UK Expat born in Malaysia

Old Feb 7th 2016, 8:38 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport for child of a UK Expat born in Malaysia

Originally Posted by quiltman
...This can no longer be done at the Embassy and is done via the Foreign & Colonial Office...
...who won't help you because Foreign and Colonial is an Investment Trust! A very fine one, of course. But I think you mean the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

JC3
Old Feb 7th 2016, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm old fashioned! We had Colonies when I was growing up!
Of course , you are correct. Whoops!
Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

ruri is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have spoken to an Immigration Officer who is a friend of mine for a couple of years now and who happened to interview me and my husband when I applied for his LTVP on 2013 and she said any Malaysian citizen is indeed not allowed to have a dual nationality. But when I told her that my daughter now has 2 passports and I have told the same to another 3 different immigration officers, they all told me to just keep it anyway.

I asked them what would happen if my daughter was found to be holding 2 passports and they said she would only be simply asked to choose one, no big trouble. They also mentioned that in fact, this case is common in Malaysia especially to those of mixed nationalities and those who have been a residence for a long time in another country. Sometimes a person of age over 21 is found to be holding 2 nationalities.

Have a look at the Article 23 under constitution of Malaysia and pay attention to the first one.
http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/researc...nstitution.pdf

Though it is clear that a Malaysian citizen cannot have a dual citizenship but reading that make everything so confusing again.

To me, it's as if it's saying that it's OK for my daughter to hold 2 passports until she is 21 then. I could be wrong but it is just the way I understand it.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 11:24 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ruri
To me, it's as if it's saying that it's OK for my daughter to hold 2 passports until she is 21 then. I could be wrong but it is just the way I understand it.
Yes , it reads like that to me too.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

passportboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
...The important difference is that the latter can be held by someone who has a Malaysian passport but the former cannot be.
Sarawakians are not eligible to apply for BOC status.
Only ethnic Chinese connected with Penang and Malacca prior to 31 August 1957 are eligible.

Since British nationality can be obtained by "Descent", as long as the applicants can prove to the Home Office that their fathers or grandfathers etc were born in Penang or Malacca before 31 August 1957.

But, Home Office had decided that they would no longer consider citizenship applications involving BOC holders from Malaysia. So prior to that, BOC = British Citizenship. Now, BOC is just "Malaysian with a British travelling document". Not sure if you call this "dual" nationality though?
Old Feb 7th 2016, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysia does NOT allow dual nationality ...by its own law. End of story.
What happens and is accepted is another story.... much like how the Prime Minister finds an unusual amount of money in his personal bank account.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

ruri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Davita
Malaysia does NOT allow dual nationality ...by its own law. End of story.
What happens and is accepted is another story.... much like how the Prime Minister finds an unusual amount of money in his personal bank account.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 7:42 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by passportboy
Only ethnic Chinese connected with Penang and Malacca prior to 31 August 1957 are eligible.

Now, BOC is just "Malaysian with a British travelling document". Not sure if you call this "dual" nationality though?
As well as the ethnic Chinese others including for example Eurasians are eligible to apply for BOC status.

As you say BOC is now little more than a travelling document - for example a British Overseas Citizen does not have an automatic right to live in the United Kingdom.

The former settlements (colonies) of Penang and Malacca were combined in 1948 with the nine Malay states (which were protected states not colonies) to form the Federation of Malaya.

On independence in August 1957, British Protected Persons (BPP) from the Malay states lost their BPP status. However, after representations made by the Straits Chinese, the UK and Malaya Governments agreed that the inhabitants of Penang and Malacca could keep their status as Citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies (CUKC) as well as being citizens of Malaya.

In September 1963, the colonies of North Borneo, Sarawak and Singapore were joined with Malaya to form Malaysia (Singapore left Malaysia in 1965). CUKC was withdrawn from those acquiring Malaysian citizenship in 1963, but this did not affect existing citizens of the Federation.

As a result people connected with Penang and Malacca prior to August 1957, together with those born before 1983 in legitimate descent to fathers so connected, form the largest group of British Overseas citizens (over 1 million). Most are also Malaysian citizens.

JC3
Old Feb 8th 2016, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

passportboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JC3
British Overseas Citizen does not have an automatic right to live in the United Kingdom
Exactly! You know what I still keep my Malaysian passport even though I've been living in Britain for more than 15 years! The funniest thing is Commonwealth Citizens living in Britain have the right to vote in all elections, including this coming "Brexit" referendum.

But Brits living in Malaysia do not have the right to vote.
How can we solve:-
Originally Posted by Davita
the Prime Minister finds an unusual amount of money in his personal bank account.
? He he...

It's so unfair right? Just like Scottish students do not have to pay any university tuition fees! Talk about equality, eh? My Chinese Singaporean friends always like to mock at us Chinese Malaysians being treated like 2nd Class citizens in our own country. At least, English/ Welsh/ Irish students who wish to study in Scotland can understand how we feel! Ha ha
Old Feb 9th 2016, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

We've just been blessed with a baby boy 4 days ago!

We were given forms to register the birth here and were also told he'll get Malaysian PR status! Does anyone know what the procedure is in informing British consulate or similar?
Old Feb 9th 2016, 12:34 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow Abdul !!

CONGRATULATIONS
Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Oh wow Abdul !!

CONGRATULATIONS
Thank you so much!