Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Need advice - Moving to Malaysia, KL from UK. Need advice for medical insurance.

Need advice - Moving to Malaysia, KL from UK. Need advice for medical insurance.

Old Apr 10th 2018, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Daydreamer101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice - Moving to Malaysia, KL from UK. Need advice for medical insurance.

Hello everyone.

My name is Sidd and I am 23 years old. I recently got a job offer from Codemasters Studio in KL, Malaysia and I have accepted the job offer. My role is 3D artist. My salary is 4800 ringits per month. I will be moving in 2 weeks. I am from Wales, UK. I will be living in Malaysia for 1 year.

My concern is medical insurance. What is the procedure to obtain one? What is the price of a good medical insurance and any recommendations and advice regarding the medical insurance.

Also, do you recommend travel insurance or medical insurance?

If I am getting medical insurance, is it best to get one from UK like the AXA international medical insurance which is around £91 per month or to get local medical insurance from Malaysia? which is the best?

Also, any other tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for all the help.
Sidd.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

doggmeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need advice - Moving to Malaysia, KL from UK. Need advice for medical insurance.

wow, that is a very low salary to leave uk for...but your choice perhaps it may lead to better things in future.

regarding medical insurance this should be covered by your employer, but judging by the low salary this is likely a local hire position that they extended to expats so you may need to cover insurance yourself, travel insurance will not be valid if you are living in a country (its typically capped to 2-4 weeks of cover per country you visit) and is unlikely to valid when you come to claim if they see you have not been 'travelling' at the time of the injury.

try axa or any compare the market website for malaysian insurance to get something cheap and basic until you find your next job, good luck out there!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need advice - Moving to Malaysia, KL from UK. Need advice for medical insurance.

Good on you Sidd, great move, experience working in a new country and culture and get international employment on your CV.

Due to the relatively low cost of medical treatment in MY you have to consider if it is actually worth getting a policy particularly at your vibrant age.

Have you actually visited Malaysia?

This may assist in giving you further advice but for sure the way to live, is live like a local, eat local food which is cheap and the local staff you'll be working with will I'm sure be most happy to guide you.

Best of luck and I am sure you will enjoy the move.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by doggmeister
wow, that is a very low salary to leave uk for...but your choice perhaps it may lead to better things in future.

regarding medical insurance this should be covered by your employer, but judging by the low salary this is likely a local hire position that they extended to expats so you may need to cover insurance yourself, travel insurance will not be valid if you are living in a country (its typically capped to 2-4 weeks of cover per country you visit) and is unlikely to valid when you come to claim if they see you have not been 'travelling' at the time of the injury.

try axa or any compare the market website for malaysian insurance to get something cheap and basic until you find your next job, good luck out there!
Thank you for the reply and advice. I appreciate it. Yes, the salary is quite low but I am going only for experience and improving my skills. Even in UK, my salary would be as low as £1000 after taxes so 4800 rinnigts is almost the same and this is due to my low experience since I am a graduate. All the high paying jobs require atleast 2 years of xp which I do not have

I have tried axa but their cheapest is £91 per month which is a bit expensive for me. Which is why i was also considering getting local medical insurance once I go to Malaysia. £91 is 500 ringgits so I just wanted to know which is the most effective option to go for.

Thank you for wishing me luck, I will need it.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Macsta
Good on you Sidd, great move, experience working in a new country and culture and get international employment on your CV.

Due to the relatively low cost of medical treatment in MY you have to consider if it is actually worth getting a policy particularly at your vibrant age.

Have you actually visited Malaysia?

This may assist in giving you further advice but for sure the way to live, is live like a local, eat local food which is cheap and the local staff you'll be working with will I'm sure be most happy to guide you.

Best of luck and I am sure you will enjoy the move.
Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I may not even need medical insurance and just pay for issues when and if I face them. i was just wondering if anyone had similar experience who may be able to help. Since having a medical insurance does give me peace of mind. But, getting them from UK is expensive so I may get some local medical insurance or, as you said, not have any and pay if I need it.

My biggest concern was, what if I had an accident. Would I not need an insurance to cover me and offer me goo treatment? Apart from that, I have not health concern since I am a healthy guy and I am also taking all the vaccines and shots to protect me from any potential disease and mosquitoes.

Thanks for the advice. I am excited for moving to Malaysia, the weather will be a plus for me I just wanted to make sure that I have everything prepared before I go.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

As an example am I showing you here the brochure from AIA, which is an insurance company which offers medical insurance: https://www.aia.com.my/content/dam/m...e_01032018.pdf
For a 23yo male they charge 728RM in annual premium (see the appendix of the brochure).
Of course are other local insurance companies available; this one is only shown as an example.

As a side note: I assume that your employer is going to ensure that you will get the proper visa, before you arrive at KL airport.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Kurnia should be cheaper and you get a medical card. Note that you will get a fine discount if you walk in a branch and don´t use an agent. think it is 10%.

https://www.kurnia.com/sites/asia-ku...20Brochure.pdf

And yes, as it is so cheap anyway, don´t think twice and take one.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SushiFan
As an example am I showing you here the brochure from AIA, which is an insurance company which offers medical insurance:
For a 23yo male they charge 728RM in annual premium (see the appendix of the brochure).
Of course are other local insurance companies available; this one is only shown as an example.

As a side note: I assume that your employer is going to ensure that you will get the proper visa, before you arrive at KL airport.
Hi. Thank you for the link. That's an affordable price.

Yes, my employer will give me a work visa for the 1 year I will be working there.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eCdD
Kurnia should be cheaper and you get a medical card. Note that you will get a fine discount if you walk in a branch and don´t use an agent. think it is 10%.

And yes, as it is so cheap anyway, don´t think twice and take one.
Hello. Thank you for the brochure link.

Ya, I could just get the medical insurance once I am in Malaysia but I was thinking that I could get it done before I go there for peace of mind but that 10% discount is tempting

Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

No "normal" company will allow you to make a contract from outside the country. You will have to do a very simple health check at a clinic before anyway.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:02 am
Just Joined

baldrick2dogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eCdD
No "normal" company will allow you to make a contract from outside the country. You will have to do a very simple health check at a clinic before anyway.
My MM2H health check was the doctor asking if I'm well
I was recommended Tokyo Marine. Can't remember the cost but it took all of 5 minutes to get cover.
As others have said, medical care is cheap enough that I no longer have my own policy.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by baldrick2dogs
I was recommended Tokyo Marine. Can't remember the cost but it took all of 5 minutes to get cover.
As others have said, medical care is cheap enough that I no longer have my own policy.
Hi. Thank you for the guidance. I appreciate it.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Hello everyone.

Thank you all for helping me and providing me with helpful tips and links. I really appreciate it.

I have decided to get a local medical cover once I go to Malaysia. It seems that this is the best option.

Again, thanks everyone for all the help.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baldrick2dogs
I remember mine was mainly talking about the Hepatitis vaccination. I unfortunately did not bring my vaccination certificate book from Europe so I had to convince the doctor that my wife and I definitely have it.

Hidden info for Daydreamer101: Bring the vaccination book