Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Need advice about replacing the slow modem provided by Streamyx

Need advice about replacing the slow modem provided by Streamyx

Old Mar 16th 2015, 3:57 am
Just Joined

8888riviera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice about replacing the slow modem provided by Streamyx

The modem provided by TM is always cutting out when you are using the Internet and Internet radio through the modem from my HiFi is always dropping out. I did read from one of the posting that it will be ideal to replace the modem with a TP Link modem but there are a few on the market. Which is th best one to replace the one provided by TM.
Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:30 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice about replacing the slow modem provided by Streamyx

You may need to post in The Lab as well to get the answer to this and it would help to say if you're losing the internet connection or just the wifi connection? Is it really a modem or is it a router? And does the Streamyx box have a manufacturer's plate on it?
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:33 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Also this may be of relevance to you :-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/europ...hanges-854429/
Old Mar 16th 2015, 6:09 am
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

My TM modem blew up in January and I had to get a replacement.

It was impossible to get an exact one (TM branded) from any of the second hand goods outlets and there are so many variants of modems for particular instalation types (ADSL / ADSL2, Streamix, VDSL2, etc.) that it was pretty much impossible to buy an off-the-shelf modem that was guaranteed to work.

Very frustrating

Ended up waiting for nearly a week for a TM engineer to turn up and replace the existing (dead) box with a new one.

I now keep both the TM supplied modem box and wireless box on a laptop cooling pad as I was told that overheating is a common problem with these boxes - basically TM buys and ships the cheapest boxes they can buy.

Where are you located 8888riviera? As I may have a spare TM Streamyx box that you can have.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingoflostfools

Where are you located 8888riviera?
My area, I believe
Old Mar 16th 2015, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding Modem/Routers
TM use very unreliable cheap ones usually.......
I am using this one with no drop out at all.
I also run a DNS link through it and even then only needs to be reconfigured about once in 6 weeks.
For normal day to day Internet this should be very good
Cost is around 120-130RM
I do NOT have UNIFI but run 8Mbs from TM.
<<<snip>>>

Your local Computer Shop may have other advice for your area

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 17th 2015 at 12:20 pm. Reason: Link removed...as you're a new member it looks a little like spam
Old Mar 21st 2015, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoolieAbroad
Regarding Modem/Routers
TM use very unreliable cheap ones usually.......
I am using this one with no drop out at all.
I also run a DNS link through it and even then only needs to be reconfigured about once in 6 weeks.
For normal day to day Internet this should be very good
Cost is around 120-130RM
I do NOT have UNIFI but run 8Mbs from TM.
<<<snip>>>

Your local Computer Shop may have other advice for your area
I believe the reason why you need to reconfig once every 6 weeks is because you are using a dynamic IP.

If your modem is a Dlink modem, you can register for a free DDNS at www.dlinkddns.com

If you are not using the Dlink modem there are free DDNS like Free Dynamic DNS - Managed DNS - Managed Email - Domain Registration - No-IP for that purpose

Key in the DDNS setting on your router under the DDNS settings column. Reboot the router and you are good to go.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the reply and advice roystevenung
Unfortunately my original message was edited and removed the link to the modem I was using.....its a well known brand very good and reliable.
Hence my original message did not come over correctly or make too much sense.
I have no worries at all in making a few mouse clicks when TM in their infinite wisdom change my IP about once in 6 weeks . My VPN likes me to set the IP to work properly and as its dynamic TM will change it now and again.
The point I was making is that the TM DLink modems are pretty rubbish and unreliable constantly giving a new IP.
I was the person that recommended a brand and I was actually giving the exact model to the person who started the thread.
But the link was unfortunately deleted
I wont add links or name names but a computer shop will help those in need of better equipment than provided by TM.

Last edited by PoolieAbroad; Mar 21st 2015 at 8:14 am.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:47 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by PoolieAbroad
I was the person that recommended a brand and I was actually giving the exact model to the person who started the thread.
But the link was unfortunately deleted
I wont add links or name names but a computer shop will help those in need of better equipment than provided by TM.
If your post was deleted Poolie then it would show up as a deleted post. I don't think there's a rule against what you were trying to post.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

I hoped I had not broken the law of posting but I did see this message

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 17th 2015 at 8:20 pm. Reason: Link removed...as you're a new member it looks a little like spam
Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:08 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ah looks like an unfortunate removal Poolie. You could maybe mention the name but not put in a link? New posters who start putting in links quite often tend to get seen as spammers
Old Mar 21st 2015, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

OOo I see
Thanks Kindly BB I shall remember that in future.
Well If anyone needs the names and the set up I use to get my UK streaming working nicely I will happily reply again later. It is not the only solution for sure but one I have used successfully for some years now.
Now its back to the Footy and Rugby....................and the
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Poolie,
I would be interested in the name or the link.
Unfortunate that your message was not understood before it was censored....
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Sorry Gunnar Let me list a few things I do.
The Modem/Router is a TP Link Model No. TD-W8968 which I link the wireless through an Apple Airport base station which I have had for a few years and I use Apple Airport Express units to beam the wifi into my garage etc.
This all links to various music playing machines around the place. My printer is also wireless. I can set play lists on Itunes to play outside or wherever I want.

I like to stream 'stuff' from the UK including iplayer and have paid a company called My Private Network to, initially, have a VPN. Its about 60 pounds a year.
In Malaysia this runs very slowly ( less than 1.5 Mbps) and their help desk in KL gave me the DNS settings to piggyback through their pipeline ( if I got that tekkie stuff right) . Now I can stream from Blighty at 7 to 8Mbps.
Sorry if this is a bit hazy and I am not an IT person but try my best to get what I need picking friends brains, Help desks and the internet.

Of course there is no need to buy the Apple stuff but I had it already from another country where modems supplied were of a better quality than TM!

Cheaper modems and routers seem to keep dropping the feed from TM and I was getting a new IP up to 4 or 5 times a day. Now it rarely drops and everything is much more stable. I put this down to the TP link..
I am happy to go back and forth here or privately if there are more questions or I am not explaining the stuff well.
Again sorry for being a bit confusing it is not my real area of expertise.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Poolie,
Thanks for the feedback!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.