Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Moving from the UK to Kuala Lumpur

Moving from the UK to Kuala Lumpur

Old Jul 26th 2016, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the UK to Kuala Lumpur

Sorry the above may not be too clear -

No you should NOT be worried, or paranoid
Old Jul 26th 2016, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Jayjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by man from emas
No you should be worried, or paranoid about safety but you must be aware, & have your priorities right, I know of one estate that has security barrier on the road, with guard, but nothing on the pavements or any form of fencing, all they are trying to do is stop it being used as a parking lot, hence this is very poor security & something you might not realize. You have to understand generally the Malaysians are friendly people thats why many people like myself retire here, but to drive the enormous building projects, plantations jobs, & other low non skilled jobs that nobody else whats so there are millions of illegal workers here.

KL like rest of Malaysia is prone to very heavy almost violent heavy rain, some parts of KL & its suburbs are very prone to flooding, some areas often seem to have water shortages (tap water),these issues need to high on your alert list not dentist.

When you arrive you are bound to spend awhile in taxis no doubt before you start to drive, & you will observe the differences in the driving habits of both 4 wheels & 2 wheels
Many many thanks I really appreciate it,I have confirmation today that I move on December 15th the company will cover health car and accommodation
Next job is my wife lol she is a training administrator in the Uk she is worries about having no job as she has always worked so big culture shock need to get involved with the locals and the expats we both cant wait
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:43 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That's exciting. December not too far away really.

I don't think your wife should worry too much. There are a lot of expat wives in KL. You can google around for expat groups, and also on Facebook. I think Meetup.com will probably also have some groups.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Or try internations.org
Old Jul 29th 2016, 9:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Or try internations.org
Is it any good, Sushi? I joined it a little while back but, have to confess, haven't actually been to any of the shindigs.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 4:06 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Their KL forum is pretty good and the Penang forum could be quite helpful
Old Jul 30th 2016, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Is it any good, Sushi? I joined it a little while back but, have to confess, haven't actually been to any of the shindigs.
I have the impression that we have two categories of expats in Penang. On the one hand the group of people who live their retired life here on an MM2H visa and on the other hand a group of people who work here as an expat, sent by their company "on a temporary mission" (usually 3 years or so). There are a few exceptions of people who have built up their own business and work here for a really long time.
I don't want to stigmatize but you tend to see that MM2H-ers are higher in age, and the expat workers are young(er) professionals, often in an early stage of their careers and building up their resumes. The interests of these two groups differ.
It is my impression that internations mainly targets this young(er) professionals group, although a number of MM2H-ers have signed up as well. Most of their activities are thus in evening hours, after work. Think of mingle parties with a buffet and drinks. What is interesting is the wide variety of nationalities who participate in these parties. What I find less interesting are their stories about their workplace, the cultural barriers they come across, and the difficulties their spouses have to lead an interesting life as they don't have a busy/challenging job.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 6:03 am

Yep...there are expats, and there are expats.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man from emas
As mentioned above to help people give you better answers you need to be more specific in your reasons for being in KL, if its a company transfer then most of these will be self explanatory, like medical etc, you've not mentioned if you are working or retiring, both these could have a huge impact on where you would end up living, & the cost.
We are moving to KL (Bangsar) to support elderly MIL. FIL terminally ill and expect will not live to see easter.

Have not arranged visa yet as uncertain to which area to go. No need to have work visa as run own business from home (where ever that is).

Am I correct in the basic requirements for under 50 would be a deposit of 350,000 ringit (about 110,000 NZD)?

$1.5 million ringit is the lower limit on house purchase? - How does that affect rebuild cost (example is the projected cost of rebuild is $3 million ringit, no mortgage owing on land)

Mid 40's so the retirement does not look suitable. Main concern is spending money on rebuilding family house and how the ownership can be transferred.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

What Malaysian visa are you looking at? The requirements differ per category.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
What Malaysian visa are you looking at? The requirements differ per category.
Not sure yet what Visa to go for

- Don't need retirement but it appears to have some benefits

- Don't need work visa as run my own business from where ever

Any advice?

Purpose of relocation is to look after MIL with the coming passing of FIL
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

There is no real lower age boundary for the MM2H retirement visa. But it does have a rule that you are not allowed to work unless the Government gives approval to the company which would like to hire you (apparently difficult to obtain). I don't know which visa categories there are for people who want to work in Malaysia, or who want to be an investor or entrepreneur in Malaysia.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

kiat137 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
We are moving to KL (Bangsar) to support elderly MIL. FIL terminally ill and expect will not live to see easter.

Have not arranged visa yet as uncertain to which area to go. No need to have work visa as run own business from home (where ever that is).

Am I correct in the basic requirements for under 50 would be a deposit of 350,000 ringit (about 110,000 NZD)?

$1.5 million ringit is the lower limit on house purchase? - How does that affect rebuild cost (example is the projected cost of rebuild is $3 million ringit, no mortgage owing on land)

Mid 40's so the retirement does not look suitable. Main concern is spending money on rebuilding family house and how the ownership can be transferred.

Below 50 years old only need to place RM 300,000.
If you bought property or car, you can apply to withdraw RM 150,000 from there.

Property minimum purchase price generally is RM 1 million.