Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Kuala Lumper, excited but nervous?!

Moving to Kuala Lumper, excited but nervous?!

Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:31 am
Just Joined

NickBish89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Kuala Lumper, excited but nervous?!

Hello

I have just accepted an amazing opportunity if being a Spa Manager in a big hotel in Kuala Lumper. This is an offer that i cannot refuse, however i am 26 years old form the UK and will be moving to Kuala Lumper by myself, therefore i am slightly nervous and have a few questions?

Firstly the company i am working will be providing accommodation which i believe is in Bukit Bintang, what is this area like? is there lots to do? and will i be safe? haha.

I presume i will need to set up a new bank account in Malaysia, is there a specific one is should go with? Also i ask the same question regarding my phone, i will need to set up a new contract and who with?

I know KL is a massive city with a big British population, is there a certain area where Brits live or socialize?

Lastly this may sound like a stupid question but would I be able to bring and use my Playstation in Malaysia and do they have Netflix? haha.

This is a massive move for me and one i am really looking forward too, but my only concern is i may get bored and miss home, so any advice and information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. [/B]
Old Sep 5th 2017, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Kuala Lumper, excited but nervous?!

Congratulations.

Firstly the company i am working will be providing accommodation which i believe is in Bukit Bintang, what is this area like?
BB is the heart of the city, the real center of KL. A lot of KLs shopping, eating and drinking goes on here. But if your home faces Changkat Bukit Bintang (this is the party street) be prepared for a lot of noise until 4 am.

I presume i will need to set up a new bank account in Malaysia, is there a specific one is should go with?
CIMB

Also i ask the same question regarding my phone, i will need to set up a new contract and who with?
Tunetalk

I know KL is a massive city with a big British population, is there a certain area where Brits live or socialize?
Dont know. I guess not too much will leave their area as there are many expat areas. BB is of cause the center of activities.

Lastly this may sound like a stupid question but would I be able to bring and use my Playstation in Malaysia and do they have Netflix? haha.
Yes, yes. And also have iflix.

This is a massive move for me and one i am really looking forward too, but my only concern is i may get bored and miss home
Will not happen.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that the hotel which hires you will take care of your visa?
Are you referring to a mobile phone contract? If so, it depends a bit on how you use it: how much voice calls and how much data download do you need? The larger companies are Telecom Malaysia, Maxis, Digi and U Mobile. They all have various packages to choose from. There are some websites which give you an overview and comparison.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:41 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Errr.. its Lumpur, not Lumper Lumpers unload cargo from fishing boats. Check out the requirements for paying the Tourism Tax. The change from UK may be a shock to the system - climate, culture, food, etc. So long as you are prepared for that and willing to tread carefully, obey the laws and adapt you should be OK
Old Sep 8th 2017, 8:12 am
Just Joined

marcusjweedon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi NickBish, sorry to jump on your thread but I'm a 42yo single working Brit expat who has just moved here, living on the very outskirts of KL so as to be near work. It seems most Western expats live in certain upscale suburbs so I'm slightly isolated. Would also be interested in knowing how to bump into people from 'home'.

Reading through the forums it seems there are regular meetups in Penang but not so much for new people in KL.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:13 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcusjweedon
Hi NickBish, sorry to jump on your thread but I'm a 42yo single working Brit expat who has just moved here, living on the very outskirts of KL so as to be near work. It seems most Western expats live in certain upscale suburbs so I'm slightly isolated. Would also be interested in knowing how to bump into people from 'home'.

Reading through the forums it seems there are regular meetups in Penang but not so much for new people in KL.
Try Internations