Reload this Page >

Moving to KL - School commute?

Moving to KL - School commute?

Old Feb 9th 2016, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

LindaC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to KL - School commute?

Hi,

My family and I are moving up to KL very soon, and are very excited by our next adventure. We just did a visit, and have found a place we like very much in Seputeh. We have also visited schools, and are now in the dilemma of which to pick for our youngsters. We targeted Alice Smith (primary), and the British School of KL. Both seemed excellent, but I personally preferred the British School when it came to little details. The problem is the distance. We did a trial run between Seputeh and Bandar Utama with the car, and it seemed ok, but not at a peak traffic period. In reality, how is this likely to play out? I'm afraid my kid will be stuck on the bus or car for horrendous amount of time if I send her to the British School. Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated?

Thanks in Advance! L
Old Feb 9th 2016, 10:27 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to KL - School commute?

Hello Linda and welcome to the forum

We have a number of working folks living in and around KL on this forum so hopefully they will give you some insight. I would also suggest you look through this forum at existing topics. Use the search box.... it's on the second blue bar above. Type in some pertinent word.... School (for example). That will lead you to relevant threads which you can then add on to (if they are still open threads).

I don't live in KL but have visited too many times. The traffic is horrendous. You should try doing that school run at the time you would be going, and make sure it is a school day too. That's one way to find out. Really, you can be sitting in traffic outside KL for eons.

I know of folks who have sent their kids to Alice Smith and they speak highly of it. Do a Search in the Search Box and have a read up.

All the best with your plans
Old Feb 10th 2016, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Hello! And thank you!

Thanks for the tips. I did do lots of searching on schools, houses, life in kl, etc. etc. until I basically did my own head in . Couldn't find any info in very great depth on the schools though, and no much that recent. Maybe I searched with the wrong keywords, I dunno.

Doing the school run on a school day would have been the thing to do, but by the time we thought to do it, it was CNY, so that was that out the window. I've heard about the traffic, and I how bad it could be. Alice Smith is a lovely school from what I could see, and I've heard good things second hand, so in the end, I have no issue with my kids going to it. Just looking into those details that could tip in favour of one school rather than the other. First world problems and all that .
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Hwright is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!!

I am moving to KL too! We are planning to move in the next month or so and going through exactly the same issues as you are.

We are looking at Alice Snith for our 5 year old but there's a waiting list. Garden School has a ok a straight away but us further away. I've heard great things about both of these schools through teacher friends of mine. Tbh I've heard negative things about the British school so I would avoid that one if I were you!
It's exciting isn't it?! I'm coming from Singapore so not UK but we're all British. It would be good to stay in touch😄.

Helen

QUOTE=LindaC;11862226]Hi,

My family and I are moving up to KL very soon, and are very excited by our next adventure. We just did a visit, and have found a place we like very much in Seputeh. We have also visited schools, and are now in the dilemma of which to pick for our youngsters. We targeted Alice Smith (primary), and the British School of KL. Both seemed excellent, but I personally preferred the British School when it came to little details. The problem is the distance. We did a trial run between Seputeh and Bandar Utama with the car, and it seemed ok, but not at a peak traffic period. In reality, how is this likely to play out? I'm afraid my kid will be stuck on the bus or car for horrendous amount of time if I send her to the British School. Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated?

Thanks in Advance! L[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:17 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Linda and Helen,

If you want to get in touch with each other you can by using this site's Private Message (PM) tool. But you need to make 3 posts each first.
Just saying 'OK Thanks' to this post would count as one!

Good luck in KL

JC3
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks .
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:26 am
Just Joined

We're coming from SG as well. Maybe I know you, lol. I'm curious to know what you heard about the British School. I had read mixed reviews, but after visiting, I thought it was alright actually. But it was "only" a visit, and not my kids living it day to day.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Hwright is an unknown quantity at this point

I will ask my teacher friebds why they didn't rate it and get back to yiu!

I'm living in upper Bukit Timah and my son goes to Dover. Hubby works at jp Morgan and I work at the german school 😄

What about you?

I have just found this hiking link for trails around KL. I'm so happy! I really miss hiking after living in Hk so this should be great!

http://thesmartlocal.com/read/hiking-trails-kl
QUOTE=LindaC;11864147]We're coming from SG as well. Maybe I know you, lol. I'm curious to know what you heard about the British School. I had read mixed reviews, but after visiting, I thought it was alright actually. But it was "only" a visit, and not my kids living it day to day.[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 14th 2016, 4:17 am
Just Joined

apjh622 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm contemplating a move to KL too (Sri KDU international school), any idea what a decent salary for a teacher is?