Moving to KL

Old Nov 17th 2014, 6:27 am
Account Closed

Geordie Nomad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to KL

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Geordie, have a look on the numbeo.com website for living costs and comparisons - very useful and regularly updated.

PS. Just seen that not2old has also posted this website.

Thanks Vino, I can see that, that site is going to be invaluable in time...
Old Nov 18th 2014, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming its a company move they should have their own agent listings who you are required to deal with, this is common with most large companies as it stops unscrupulous clauses being added by agents or landlords, its a different world here.

As mentioned above find out the location of the employment then find somewhere hopefully within walking distance. If you are renting things like internet cable TV etc could be a part of a package, there are many blocks of service apartments in KL just look up on Google start renting there for a month or two then talk & find your way around, DO NOT JUMP INTO SOME RENTAL CONTRACT BECAUSE PEOPLE TELL YOU THERE ARE OTHERS QUEUEING.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

sendomike is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Numbeo.com is a great site, and a lot of the information seems to be accurate.
it's a great site to get a rough idea on the living costs in KL.

Do note that with GST coming to Malaysia in April 2015, prices will be hiking up a bit.

I know this is a public forum, so I will share and answer all the questions here if I can. No need for PMs

If you guys need a hand in apartment hunting, then feel free to contact me personally.

Cheers.
Mike
Old Dec 31st 2014, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by man from emas
Assuming its a company move they should have their own agent listings who you are required to deal with, this is common with most large companies as it stops unscrupulous clauses being added by agents or landlords, its a different world here.

As mentioned above find out the location of the employment then find somewhere hopefully within walking distance. If you are renting things like internet cable TV etc could be a part of a package, there are many blocks of service apartments in KL just look up on Google start renting there for a month or two then talk & find your way around, DO NOT JUMP INTO SOME RENTAL CONTRACT BECAUSE PEOPLE TELL YOU THERE ARE OTHERS QUEUEING.
in terms of cable TV and Internet, there are generally 2 options that we can choose from, namely TM Unifi and Astro TIME

Personally, I would prefer TM Unifi because I feel that it is more consistent. I have never used TIME before but I heard that there are slowdowns in Internet speed occasionally. Do note that some apartments don't have the backend infrastructure to support UNIFI, then TIME would be your only option.

Both TIME and UNIFI offers cable TV with Internet in a package, so the best option is to choose one that suits you best. Prices among both providers are similar, and roughly around RM200 (or more if you opt for more channels + higher broadband speed). RM200 will give you a 10mb Internet + basic home package.

Lastly, there is a one-off installation charge of around RM300 to install the modem, routers and cable TV system. However, this can be waived if you agree to a 2-year contract. so if you plan on staying for a short term, paying the one-off installation cost would be cheaper than the penalty charges (if you don't finish the 2-yr contract).

hope this helps.

Mike
Old Jan 1st 2015, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Twixy is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks like Astro time has faster stated speeds and cheaper prices. So if price is any indicator, I'm guessing their reputation for slowness is behind the cheaper prices.

https://www.tm.com.my/Home/broadband...kages-VIP.aspx

TIME fibre broadband and ASTRO B.yond IPTV | IPTV - The One and Only One Line
Old Jan 1st 2015, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twixy
It looks like Astro time has faster stated speeds and cheaper prices. So if price is any indicator, I'm guessing their reputation for slowness is behind the cheaper prices.

https://www.tm.com.my/Home/broadband...kages-VIP.aspx

TIME fibre broadband and ASTRO B.yond IPTV | IPTV - The One and Only One Line
ASTRO is like RM50 cheaper than Unifi, if not mistaken.
but Unifi is much more consistent in terms of speed. ASTRO TIME tends to fluctuate more often.
even though it's cheaper, its not a reason for the inconsistency...

my honest opinion. i am not affiliated with either party..