Moving to KL

Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

knoxy is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to KL

HI,
My Husband is possibly getting a transfer with work to KL so have a few questions;
How long does it take to get a visa (if we need one)
Will husband need some sort of work permit, how long will that take
Will we need Medicals/Xrays (not working in health or child care)
Will children need medicals and what injections will we need
Generally is it a good place to live as an expat with 3 children age range 2,9 and 10
Thanks for any advice
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:33 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to KL

Originally Posted by knoxy
HI,
My Husband is possibly getting a transfer with work to KL so have a few questions;
How long does it take to get a visa (if we need one)
Will husband need some sort of work permit, how long will that take
Will we need Medicals/Xrays (not working in health or child care)
Will children need medicals and what injections will we need
Generally is it a good place to live as an expat with 3 children age range 2,9 and 10
Thanks for any advice
generally if you're going with a job offer or intercompany move your visas will be done by the company, medical is usually involved, as are police checks.

KL's a big busy place..
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, just wondered if anyone had any experience so I know what to expect, we are only going for 2 years will that make any difference???

Should I be packing my bags now or be aiming for Xmas!!!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:49 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by knoxy
Thanks, just wondered if anyone had any experience so I know what to expect, we are only going for 2 years will that make any difference???

Should I be packing my bags now or be aiming for Xmas!!!
well work visas get sorted out ASAP so it could be very soon and the family tends to go on a visitor visa and then the residency or whatever is done once you're in the country.

as with any overseas job most people move out within 2 months of accepting the job, with families if they have them, so dont even worry about visas that will all be taken care of. Just make sure you get a family contract in terms of flights, medical etc
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks..........
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

What are you waiting for, you lucky lucky thing. I lived in KL for almost 4 and a half years and loved every single bit of it. Can you say who your husband is working for and are you from the UK. The company should sort out all your residency papers so dont worry about that. There is nothing to untoward with injections i would suggest make sure your tetanus and the childrens usual vaccinations are up todate. Some people go out taking malaria tablets but unless you are going to be living in the jungle then i would suggest against it as although malaria is very unpleasant the side effects from the tablets can be worse.

There are lots of lovely areas to live in, my husband and I lived in Bangsar which is very very popular with the expats but it depends where hubby's office is as the traffic can be very draining. The local people are very nice and very friendly. If you would like to pm me when you have done the 5 posts then i can answer hopefully most of the questions you may have.

PS can I come with you if you have room
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Amazing Grace,

Have heard a lot of negatives, so nice to get a different view.......

Will pm you with more questions soon...............

knoxy
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:48 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I lived in KL about fifteen years ago when it wasn't quite as well developed as it is today. However, I too love the place. The city is quite sprawled and traffic can be a trial, but otherwise I can't think of too many negatives. The weather is hot and humid, but it is the tropics after all. However, for a fairly quick trip to cool down you could get up to Genting Highlands for a breath of cooler air. But even down in the Klang valley the thunderstorms are an awesome experience. Bright warm mornings followed by increasingly hotter temperatures until it gets quite dark around 2:30 with huge downpours at 3:00 in the afternoon and by 4:30 bright hot sun and the pavements are dry.

The food is fabulous. Chinese, Malay, Indian, Thai, you name it, it's being cooked up. High tea is an interesting exercise in gluttony. Don't be afraid to eat at the Pasar Malam (night markets) as you can often find some of the best food in KL at some of the most ridiculously low prices. Do be aware that alcohol ain't cheap. Cigarettes are cheap though so I guess you can save your liver but destroy your lungs.

Some areas outside of KL are quite fun to explore. Taman Negara National Park is awesome. OK, Taman Negara isn't a day trip from KL, but if you are in Malaysia, don't miss it.

Lucky you, I wish it was me being sent on an expat package to KL.