Moving to Penang

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

merlinman is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to Penang

My wife & I, semi-retired business/professional couple currently living in Sydney but originally from UK, will be in Penang from 18 July - 9 August "sussing" the place out with a view to moving permanently in the New Year.

It would be really great to hear from any expats (now hopefully considering themselves locals) to meet up for general advice/lowdown.

Hope to hear from anyone soon
Old Jul 4th 2017, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Moving to Penang

Hi again,

All the posts I've read on this seem to be 2-3 years old. Anything more up to date. How about regular contributors - bakedbean?
Old Jul 4th 2017, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not much has changed since the last 2 - 3 years.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

But the suggested dates are 2-3 years old. Are you saying these meetups just don't happen anymore? Shame
Old Jul 5th 2017, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice

It might be difficult finding a rental/property agent willing to show you around if you don't plan on pulling the trigger until early next year. Stretching the truth a bit might help.
Since you will be in Penang for 3 weeks... Make a real effort getting to know the different neighborhoods around the areas you might be interested in. What is available for shopping, restaurants, food, etc... Also visit the area during different times of the day to test out what Traffic or noise will be like. Look at the "proposed" gov't transportation plan which will also give you an idea for the future.
Seaview vs Garden: Everyone loves the high-floor, and great Sea-view, but... I think you might be missing out on better options (size, location, etc) if you don't also look into a few properties with a Garden-view or a couple blocks off the "Beach".
New vs Older: Significant price difference between the two. Also some older condos/properties seem larger (units/complex). Search online for angry tentant comments.
$$$$: I would automatically take 10% - 20% off the rental price. Asks the owner to fix, paint, replace items you're not 100% happy with. Be prepared to move on if their is no deal (you can always come back).
Just my 2 cents...
Old Jul 5th 2017, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

All good advice (& v. cheap for 2 cents!) & a lot of common sense too.
New v. Older is interesting & quite a dilemma. With the former one obviously gets "new" - all the latest facilities, appliances, décor, etc - but I think there is a serious oversupply problem looming (if it's not already here), which means developer discount on residual stock, all the problems associated with a building/complex being half-empty & minimal/zero capital gain in the medium term.
Conversely the older buildings I've seen (admittedly only on Google Earth), even only 10-15 years old, look jaded & in need of some TLC & this is only on the outside - one wonders what condition the internal/unseen elements (services etc) are in. These buildings need to be pro-actively managed, with owners who are willing/able to contribute extra funds for these works when necessary. Another reason I'm told for the price difference is that locals/Malays prefer to buy new, which is a market/value-limiting factor in itself.
What about a meetup, including with recent (or not so recent) expats. See my post under "Penang regular meetups"
Old Jul 5th 2017, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WiredTight
Asks the owner to fix, paint, replace items you're not 100% happy with.
Crazy idea as ALL owners in MY are absolutely convinced that fresh white paint has exactly the same price as gold leaf

Good thing on the other hand, when you move out the owner checks the a/c remote controls as they are made of gold either, but completely ignores what you have done to the walls
Old Jul 5th 2017, 10:05 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlinman
Hi again,

All the posts I've read on this seem to be 2-3 years old. Anything more up to date. How about regular contributors - bakedbean?
I am here. What is the question for me ?
Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi bakedbean, I see you are an "old hand" at this, read a lot of your posts & thought sure you will have something valuable to contribute re my first post above. Cheers
Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:45 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlinman
Hi bakedbean, I see you are an "old hand" at this, read a lot of your posts & thought sure you will have something valuable to contribute re my first post above. Cheers
Your first post says General Advice Lowdown.

Just come here and look around and see if you like it. Only you will know if it's the right place for you. Certainly compared with Sydney you will find it very cheap. But downside is food quality is way way better in Australia. So you take your pick and make your choice.

Any specific questions, just fire away on this topic.

I am not in Penang very much these days so difficult to catch me here.
Others that spend more time here can probably give you better advice than me.

If you don't get to meet people on here (though I am sure you will), there is quite lively scene at Straits Quay these days and quite a few expats congregate around Healy Macs at SQ. Think they still do a quiz night on Mondays. Just go along and get chatting to people. You will soon make some new acquaintances. Quite a few Brits and Aussies and other nationalities of course.

There's also a facebook group MM2H Penang. They meet up for coffees regularly so check that out also.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Certainly compared with Sydney you will find it very cheap. But downside is food quality is way way better in Australia.
Both these facts are so really true.
But the food quality one is even more truer.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Certainly compared with Sydney you will find it very cheap. But downside is food quality is way way better in Australia.
Originally Posted by ex reg
Both these facts are so really true.
But the food quality one is even more truer.
Must be true...lots and lots of fat people in Sydney.
Penang...not so much....
Old Jul 7th 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Davita
Must be true...lots and lots of fat people in Sydney.
Penang...not so much....
I would've said the other way around....not that I have seen every single person in Sydney. A lot of Penang food is carb based.... all those noodles !

Some very nice seafood in Australia.... but wandering a bit off topic.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Davita,
Maybe that's more an indication of Malaysian food quality being superior.
I mean, in general people get fat from too much junk food...
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta confess I haven't been to Sydney in a long time but I see enough Sydneysiders in Bali 'hanging out'...and I mean that literally.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.