Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

"Mingles", Meet-ups and other disasters?

"Mingles", Meet-ups and other disasters?

Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

julian1968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Mingles", Meet-ups and other disasters?

Originally Posted by Atilla
Commercial does not necessarily mean by default bad any more than non-commercial means by default good or better.

But if you have a bad experience its better to be non-commercial.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Not sure I fathom the logic of that one , but each to their own. I had a bad experience with a car I bought once, should I not buy another car? Personally I've not had any more bad experiences that I would attribute to 'commercial' than I have bad experiences that I'd attribute to a venture being non-commercial.

Last edited by Atilla; Apr 11th 2013 at 6:49 am.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

If you bought a car (commercial) and had a bad experience = :-( AND IT COST YOU

If you were given a car (non-commercial) and had a bad experience = :-( BUT SPENT NO MONEY
Old Apr 11th 2013, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

And the likelihood of being given car these days?

While I can appreciate what you are saying, it only holds true IF you are talking about an experience where you have paid no money. The (academic) discussion as to the extent to which that happens these days is somewhat irrelevant here I think but, in terms of the topic of this thread.....

In respect of a social meet, you can either pay your money to the middle man (the organiser) or the provider (in this instance, food court etc.) direct. Whether or not I have enjoyed it, in my experience, has never depended on whether it's organised by a commercial venture or not, far from it. It's always depended on a variety of other factors which can make or break either. Either way though, I will have paid my RM 40 or whatever for food and drinks and will feel no better, in consequence of a bad experience, that it was non-commercially organised. Either way, RM 40 down. As we all know, there's no such thing as a 'free lunch'

Upshot, being non-commercial doesn't mean free so the argument isn't really valid IMO.

Last edited by Atilla; Apr 11th 2013 at 7:28 am.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

TheGreyGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all info, unfortunately I'll probably not be able to join in May. Going back to old Europe in a couple of days.
Right now I'm sitting in my Langkawi hotel room, waiting for a pause in the heaviest rainfall I've ever seen. Not likely to stop I guess, so I'll have to go hungry to bed. Oh well, good for the waistline I guess.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:12 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julian1968
Ha ha, I want to know about Davies the 'entrepreneur' spill the beans 'bakedbean' :-)
Haha no beans to spill. I think the guy can be described as an entrepreneur. You can google and find him I'm sure, or Attilla has kindly provided some links for you.

Mr Davison also does the Expat mag. Interesting discussion on that here
http://www.my2home.info/index.php/to....html#msg26045

Last edited by bakedbean; Apr 11th 2013 at 1:43 pm. Reason: Fixing
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Your link doesnt work Beans :-)
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:44 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about that Jules. IPad and fat finger incompatibility. Think it's OK now.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bean, seems a treat :-)
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:16 am

I mentioned another organization, Spiral Synergy, in a post last year. I've been to one of their events and they seem pretty good and good value. Friends have been to many of their events. Michelle Grimsley, who runs Spiral Synergy, seems very switched on, and very hands on with her organization...and... down to earth, unlike some others here in Malaysia. Website is here:
www.spiralsynergy.com/
Website seems to be down for maintenance this morning unfortunately, but maybe try later.

You can read about the next MM2H Makan Meetup, May 21st 2013 here These take place every 2 months or so... sometimes more often. They've been taking place for the last 2 years and well established in the Penang calendar.

There are also coffee meetups arranged by the Penang Support Group for MM2Hers (PSG). I am a member of this group... currently about 24 of us, and growing. It started off about a year ago as an informal self-help group, but has now somewhat morphed into a little social group.... and why not. Link to the coffee meetups page below.
http://mm2hpenang.weebly.com/coffee-meetups.html
Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:41 am
Just Joined

pearlinpenang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
For anyone that's interested, there's another MM2H Makan Meetup planned for Tuesday May 21st 2013 at 7pm at Viva Foodcourt, Tanjung Tokong in Penang. These "events" have been going for 2 years now, with increasing numbers of folks - MM2Hers, other expats, locals - all are welcome. Arranged by the very informative MM2H Malaysia My Second Home site. All very informal. No attendance fee. Just turn up and you pay for whatever food and drink you order. See you there
Hi Bakedbean,

You mentioned earlier that MM2H has an Event on at Rasa Sayang Hotel on May 14 @ 2 PM.

Is that in the Coffee shop at Rasa Saying or in the main Restaurant?

Also is there a direct link to MM2H for these events ?

Thank you
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:51 pm

That meetup was a year ago.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:36 am
Just Joined

pearlinpenang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
That meetup was a year ago.
OK thank you
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:17 am

Just in case anyone is interested, JC3 has spotted this social expat group in Penang on meetup.com Unfortunately it's a 'closed group' so I'm not too sure what it's all about or what they do, but understand that it may be expats of all nationalities, age groups etc so check it out if you like. Here's a link:
http://www.meetup.com/SEG-Penang/

If anyone knows more about it, you can add to this topic.

Or....if you know of any other Meet-Ups, Makans, Mingles, or whatever, just post here.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:39 pm

Bit short notice I know, but there's a Makan night tomorrow night Tuesday 29th at usual venue , Viva Foodcourt in Tg Tokong at 7pm. Mostly MM2Hers so just look out for a group of old fogies...usually not too far from the beer stall

As per normal, I am told there is also a Mingle going on same date.....funny that no details on that, but if anyone wishes to post here, please go ahead. My friend told me it's at a wine bar in Georgetown I think.