Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Major Infrastructure Projects in Penang.

Major Infrastructure Projects in Penang.

Old Dec 7th 2015, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Major Infrastructure Projects in Penang.

There's also construction at the big open car park at the other end of SQ, The previous children playground and another open space near the 1st guard house nearest to Island Plaza. Eventually the plot where the sales office and show units are will be used up too! Either the show office area or the plot near the 1st guard house was supposed to be the "future club house" for buyers of the terraces and semi-Ds when they launched those properties, but nothing came about as the developer kept using up the spaces.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 7:46 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

The LRT will begin construction in 2018....that's gone back a bit. At least that is the latest prediction.

You can read more in the Apartment Penang link below. There's also a nice little picture of where the LRT will go.

Penang LRT construction work to start in 2018 | Apartment-Penang.com
Old Dec 19th 2015, 8:17 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

And now..... a 4th link which will be a LRT going across the sea. Hmm.

I guess I'm not keeping up with all this. I thought it was going to be some kind of cable car shooting across the sea and hitting Komtar? I guess that one got shelved, or maybe it doesn't count as a "link".

You can read more about the Sea LRT on this link to Apartment Penang
LRT across the sea to mainland in the works - Apartment Penang
Old Dec 19th 2015, 1:52 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

They are also talking about a cable car going up Penang Hill, I guess the snow will be Phase 2.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:06 pm

Default Re: Major Infrastructure Projects in Penang - GURNEY WHARF

There's been a flurry of articles around the internet about Gurney Wharf....as it is now to be named apparently.

I noted, or was it just the way I was reading the articles, that in the Malaysian press, it was like a "maybe" and consultations etc etc, whereas a Singapore article on Yahoo Singapore seemed to think it was All Systems Go in very Singaporesque style with reclaimation starting NEXT MONTH!! And the first phase will be complete by mid 2018.

You can read the Yahoo article here:
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/gurney-wha...052600073.html

This write up from Penang Property Talk also gives a lot of detail and a nice little plan of where everything is to be located.
Gurney Wharf – The New Seafront Public Park | Penang Property Talk

Looks very much like Singapore's East Coast park to me. Not a bad idea. Just needs a few Singapore pubs along there eh.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

That looks a good idea bb.
Hope it comes off.

Mind you is there anywhere along Gurney with all that grass spacr just behind?
Oh I see the grass has grown on top of the backfilled area?

The East food center in Singapore has been 'decimated' with ay least two of the seafood restaurants leaving.
Dunno if they've been replaced because we haven't eaten there for a few years.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Major Infrastructure Projects in Penang - GURNEY WHARF

Originally Posted by bakedbean
This write up from Penang Property Talk also gives a lot of detail and a nice little plan of where everything is to be located.
Gurney Wharf – The New Seafront Public Park | Penang Property Talk
The "artist impressions" look nice to me, nice to have a park. What I also notice is the change in roads around this area. I can't see it clearly, but I get the impression that the roundabout at Sunrise is going to disappear, and that the crossing into Jl. Tj. Tokong will be different? The drawing also seem to imply that we will have a tunnel from here to the mainland.
The land for this park is visible every day at low tide, so increasing the level is probably not so much of a hurdle to overcome.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder what the people who bought saview condos in Paragon think about this....
Old Feb 25th 2016, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

I think they will still have sea view minus the stinky mud flats which will be a nice green park.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/02/25/rm1bil-reclamation-cost-gurney-drive-foreshore-to-include-24ha-park-on-the-sea-project/

Tomorrow is the last day to give your feed back to State.
Exhibition area level 2 Komtar.

Last edited by columbine; Feb 25th 2016 at 4:58 am.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

TousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond repute

In addition the residents of Gurney Paragon will have an additional 4 lane expressway, an expressway & bridge to the new islands, the new hawker centre with underground parking, storm drains & an area of government land for future development including underground parking to overview. The expressway is the big downer, the rest could be ok.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 9:00 am

Depends how they do the expressway I suppose. They seem to be consulting with Singapore a lot, don't they. Something like the ECP with nice foliage down the middle would be nice. Would sure beat the boring 6 to 8 lanes of Jalan Tanjung Tokong.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

TousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond repute

With work already starting there are some questions about safety. He has made an effort but there is room for improvement.
https://goo.gl/photos/mzLt61xiWbRuAiRg8
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute

Yes this fence has been going up the last few times I've driven along Gurney drive, its going up rather quickly, not bad finish, & really nobody ever went over there as it was at the best dried out mud.
The MPPP newsletter / newspaper that comes round quarterly I think, had a big article with plans & maps showing all the indented work the other day when it came.
Anyone living high along Gurney will do doubt be able to make more sense of all the various craft out there doing I assume various soil samples etc, there seems to be quite a lot of activity, which its not possible to make out at road level, there seems to be some very long pale yellow pontoon or what ever out there.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by man from emas
which its not possible to make out at road level, there seems to be some very long pale yellow pontoon or what ever out there.
Yep there's loads of booms or something out there. Some kind of demarcation points. I'll dig out my superduper-zoom-in-camera this afternoon and see if I can get some good shots to show you.

Soil samples probably done before. There were some strange pontoon type structures that appeared (then disappeared) maybe a year ago.

Last edited by bakedbean; Mar 28th 2016 at 11:27 pm. Reason: more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.