Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 12:47 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

Shardy. Let us know if you get the 5 years.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Shardy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Shardy. Let us know if you get the 5 years.
Well I did get 5 years but there was a bit of a cock up on my 'employment status' so in total I spent more than 5 hours at the Immigration Office... good that I don't have to do this again for a while.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:12 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, congrats on the 5 years
Old Jun 15th 2014, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

baloney999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a few comments from our own experience on this subject. I married my Malay wife in the UK in a civil ceremony and then, week later in a mosque. We tried to get our marriage registered at the Malaysian high commission in London but they said they could not do it and directed us to the Malaysian Students office or commission or something, at another location in London. They gave us a letter which confirmed we had had a Muslim marriage. When we moved to Malaysia I was still travelling regularly back to the UK so if my stay in Malaysia was more than the three months that my tourist visa allowed we went to the immigration office in Kuantan, where we live and they gave me a One or two month extension at RM50 per month, until I left Malaysia - and returned again for another three months.

When my trips became less frequent, we went to apply for a long term social visit pass and the immigration officials told us that our letter from the UK was insufficient so we had to go to the religious department to register our marriage and get a Malaysian Islamic marriage certificate. This involved a couple of visits, and interview (each of us separately), notarised photos etc. we then went back to immigration paid the deposit mentioned in a previous posting and I got a 12 month visa. After this we went back and got a visa for 3 1/2 years because my current passport expires before the 4 years I should have got.

It all became pretty straightforward in the end because of the hours we had already spent at the immigration office with extension after extension. You just have to resign yourself to the bureaucracy of notarised documents, photographs, etc and make sure you have plenty of games on your smart phone or iPad to while away the waiting time at immigration! Having said that, we always had each visa in the passport issued on the same day even if it was a few hours on some occasions due to the number of customers on a particular day.

Just because I like waiting in Malaysian Government offices I am going to try and get a Malaysian driving licence next!
Old Jun 15th 2014, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Just a few comments from our own experience on this subject. I married my Malay wife in the UK in a civil ceremony and then, week later in a mosque. We tried to get our marriage registered at the Malaysian high commission in London but they said they could not do it and directed us to the Malaysian Students office or commission or something, at another location in London. They gave us a letter which confirmed we had had a Muslim marriage. When we moved to Malaysia I was still travelling regularly back to the UK so if my stay in Malaysia was more than the three months that my tourist visa allowed we went to the immigration office in Kuantan, where we live and they gave me a One or two month extension at RM50 per month, until I left Malaysia - and returned again for another three months.

When my trips became less frequent, we went to apply for a long term social visit pass and the immigration officials told us that our letter from the UK was insufficient so we had to go to the religious department to register our marriage and get a Malaysian Islamic marriage certificate. This involved a couple of visits, and interview (each of us separately), notarised photos etc. we then went back to immigration paid the deposit mentioned in a previous posting and I got a 12 month visa. After this we went back and got a visa for 3 1/2 years because my current passport expires before the 4 years I should have got.

It all became pretty straightforward in the end because of the hours we had already spent at the immigration office with extension after extension. You just have to resign yourself to the bureaucracy of notarised documents, photographs, etc and make sure you have plenty of games on your smart phone or iPad to while away the waiting time at immigration! Having said that, we always had each visa in the passport issued on the same day even if it was a few hours on some occasions due to the number of customers on a particular day.

Just because I like waiting in Malaysian Government offices I am going to try and get a Malaysian driving licence next!
Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:46 am
Account Closed

kimbo259 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question- can I apply for the LTSVP in the UK? or does it have to be in Malaysia? I'm married to a Malaysian and we were married in Malaysia 4 years ago, live in the UK now but are planning to move next month.
Also on average how long does the processing time take? I saw that yours took 15 days Bluenose 1 but is there a fast service?
Thanks!
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

It would only take a phone call to the Malaysian High Commission in London to find out but I very much doubt it. You would be asking for it in advance of actually being in Malaysia and I don't think they would be able to cope with that! You will also need photographs and documents verified by a Commissioner of Oaths registered in Malaysia.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 7:10 am
Account Closed

kimbo259 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought so! It makes sense that they don't grant it until you get there. Thanks for replying!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 4:51 am
Just Joined

tea42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies for the delay in posting back here as promised.

Immigration in Alor Setar were really kind and helpful (perhaps helped by the fact that the lady handling our application really likes children and seemed to take a shine to our 3-year old son who was being unusually charming).

Just one hiccup as we had to hop between different places for the document from the court. The delays meant we missed the closing time at had to go back another day but everything went smoothly and I got a 1-year dependent/spouse visa. To apply for a work permit however they pointed out that I would have to do this again in Alor Setar and could not do it in Johor where we were moving to because all my documents were held in Alor Setar.

To be honest, from dealing with car licensing and registration for car and motorbike in Johor, it seems much better to do things in Alor Setar where there are fewer people and the staff are less busy and not stressed ;-) This was true often in Japan, too - location and timing definitely seem to make a difference!
Old Aug 9th 2015, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

koochin is an unknown quantity at this point

I am thinking of applying for a LTSVP/LTVP as my wife is a Chinese Malaysian citizen.I see tea42 mentions licensing for car and motorbike .I would like to bring a '50 Cadallac and a motorbike with me plus a mid 70's pick up truck too if allowed.Has anyone got any information on how or who to approach about this .
Old Aug 9th 2015, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

Importing a car/bike to Malaysia is very costly and troublesome. You will need to apply for an import license (AP) from the Ministry of Foreign Trade. For more details you might want to do a search on the internet. Please note this applies for LTSVP who don’t have the MM2H privilege to bring in a duty free car.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:09 am
Just Joined

koochin is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes ,kebi ,I am aware of APs and believe they cost 10,000MYR each permit.
WWhat i really wanted to know was if as a migrant to Malaysia are you allowed to bring in any personal vehicle/sA recent arrival to Malaysia as a migrant might be able to explain the situation better.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:54 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

There is another member "owned" on this forum who I think has looked into this. I believe he concluded it would be eaier to sell his bikes and cars in China rather than bring them into Malaysia. It's not just a question of import taxes but more of having satisfactory documentation to allow them to be imported in the first place.

You could try sending him a PM but you need to have made 3 posts before that function will work for you.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, importing from China was a no go, as you had to prove that the vehicle was registered in the country you are exporting from and also be able to show sales invoices for the vehicles.

The invoice bit would be easy to fabricate, but seeing as no bikes over 125cc can be registered in all but the very center of Beijing and Xinjiang province (which requires a visa for foreigners to visit) there was no chance of anyone believing I registered a 1400cc and 1000cc bike in China.

My only other way out was to drive them though Burma, Thailand and across the boarder into Malaysia. If you do this the vehicle can only stay in Malaysia from as long as your visa has been issued for. In the end I just sold my 7 bikes and will buy something in Malaysia.

It would not be so bad if the vehicles you are trying to import were coming from Europe or the USA, but you still have to prove registration and have a sales invoice. You other problems are you may get faced with up to 300% of the vehicles worth for import tax and a bit of expense to get all the fluids drained from the vehicles as shipping companies wont ship a vehicle until all fluids are drained and have supporting documents to verify this has been done.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 5:26 am
Just Joined

hollyewithers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Im British and my husband is Malaysian, we got married in the UK, but have recently returned to Malaysia. I'm looking to stay and work here and it seems like the LTSVP or spouse visa is the best option? I have read many conflicting info online and wanted some advice on how to start the application. How do we obtain the correct forms to fill in etc?

Thanks in advance.

Holly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.