British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/long-term-social-visit-pass-ltsvp-ltvp-811701/)

Bluenose1 Oct 9th 2013 3:48 pm

Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

Admin please note: Your initial thought may be that this should be a Blog, but I was requested by Baked Bean to open a new READ ME: Thread regarding the LTSVP. I hope I have done it justice!

The requirements for the LTSVP are a little confusing to say the least! According to the Immigration Department of Malaysia Official Portal:

A LTSVP may be issued to foreigners:

(a) "for a temporary stay in Malaysia for not less than 6 months; or
(b) Foreign husbands/wives to Malaysians can be given the Social Visit Pass for a period of 5 years on condition they comply with all of the requirements.
They are also allowed to engage in any form of paid employment or in any business or professional occupation without converting the Social Visit Pass to the Employment Pass or Visitor’s Pass (Temporary employment)."

The portal indicates that it was last updated on Tuesday, 31 January 2012. I have to be honest here and say that it seems to be rather difficult to get any more up-to-date information from the internet! Here is the portal link: http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/m...ial-visit-pass (not that there is much info there!).

The reason I stated it is a little confusing is because:
(a) My initial application as a (male) spouse of a Malaysian female was for 5 years, but I was granted only 6 months; and
(b) When I applied for renewal (requesting a renewal again for 5 years) in October 2013 I was given a further 1 year visa.

In both instances, my visa states quite clearly Any form of employment is strictly prohibited. Having said that, I understand (but have yet to test this out) that a spouse can apply to have an addenda allowing him/her to take up some form of employment!

As for other visas, there are certain criteria which you must meet:

Unfortunately, I can only give the criteria for an application by a spouse as I do not know the criteria for any other type of application (see above re the difficulty in finding this out!):

1. You must be married to a Malaysian citizen (and I believe must still be living together);
2. You must fill in the appropriate application form (annoyingly, this is only in Bahasa Melayu!). Part of the application form requires that you attach recent passport-size photos (the rules for these changed in April 2013 - see below) and take this form to a Notary Public, sign the form in front of him/her and have the document stamped by the Notary Public in the correct place(s). The fee for this as of October 2013 is 10RM;
3. You must provide details of the address you last stayed at in your home country;
3. Your spouse must accompany you at the initial application;

We had to comply with steps 1-3 for both the initial application in April 2013 and my subsequent renewal application in October 2013

4. You must have a sponsor (other than your spouse) who has to confirm that you and your spouse have the means to support yourselves; NOTE: This can be another member of the spouse's family. The sponsor will have to prove that they have an acceptable level of income. In my case, my sister-in-law, who owns her own business, was my sponsor;
5. The sponsor should also accompany you at the initial application. My sister-in-law was not required for my renewal application;
6. You must submit your marriage certificate at initial application. If the marriage certificate is from another country, then I believe it may have to be translated into Bahasa Melayu;
7. You must provide several photographs from your wedding.

When you submit your initial application you have to pay:
(a) A (refundable) deposit. Currently this is RM1,500. As far as I understand, the refund is only made after you have applied for, and been granted, Permanent Residency (PR). Again, the rules for this have changed in the recent past. It used to be that you could apply for PR after you had lived in Malaysia for a period of 5 years. This has now changed to 6 years. As far as I know, the current rules regarding the refund of the deposit indicate that you can only do so 2 years after being granted PR. The good news is that the refund will include interest (but I do not know at what rate!) from the date of initial payment. I believe you do also have to provide the original receipt (!).
(b) a (non-refundable) fee (currently RM90) for the initial visa and each subsequent renewal.

TIMESCALES:
Bear in mind that I applied at the Melaka Immigration Office near Ayer Keroh, so I cannot speak for any other office.

We had to go to a reception desk where we were provided with a ticket (the ticketing system seems to be in widespread use throughout Malaysia!). The ticket has a number on it. When that number is called (and also indicated on a monitor) you are advised which counter to go to. You (or, as in my case, my wife) state why your are there and hand over your application form together with all supporting documents. You take a seat and, at some later point, are requested to go to the cashier's desk to hand over the required payment(s) for fee and/or deposit as appropriate. At that point you can leave and you should be told that you will be notified to return on some future date. NOTE: Your passport will be returned after you hand over your documents.

In my case, we were actually contacted by telephone the following day to provide a further document. This was my Conversion To Islam Certificate (I had to convert to Islam because I was marrying a Malaysian Muslim - the Conversion and Marriage both took place in 2009 in Melaka) which we had not taken with us to the initial application visit. The Immigration Department accepted this via fax meaning we did not have to pay another visit.

The initial application was made on Wednesday, 3 April 2013 and I received a letter from the Immigration Department on Thursday, 18 April confirming that I had been approved. My wife and I went to the Immigration Department that day (although I could have attended on my own as her presence was not required) and received my first LTSVP, which was a page stuck in my passport, valid for 6 months.

The renewal process was much more straightforward. Fill in another application form. Attach 2 passport-size photgraphs (self & spouse). Take form to a Notary Public. Both sign the document in front of him/her. Pay a RM10 fee to have the application stamped. Take the Application Form to the Immigration Department. Go to reception as above and receive a ticket. Wait for number to be called. Similar process as before, only this time, instead of returning home and waiting, my passport had a second visa attached there and then, valid for 12 months from the date of expiry of the original application.

REQUIREMENTS FOR MALAYSIAN PASSPORT (and foreign visa) APPLICATION

1. Size must be 50mm x 35mm
2. Photograph must be taken full face, with the eyes open. It must have a white, or near white background (this is a BIG change as previously the background had to be blue). There does seem to be confusion surrounding the background. Apparently this change is being brought in Immigration Office by Immigration Office and is something to do with a new style of Malaysian Passport (ok, I know you are not applying for a Malaysian Passport, but the requirements for the visa state the photographs must comply with the Malaysian Passport requirements!);
3. The top of the head must be at least 10mm below the top edge;
4. The tip of the chin must be at least 10 mm above the bottom edge
5. The face should fill between 55% and 60% of the photograph;
6. No glass must be worn (although there seems to be a bit of debate about this!); the head must not be covered unless headgear is a religious requirement and worn every day; hair must not cover the face or eyes.

bakedbean Oct 10th 2013 7:20 am

Re: Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

That's terrific info, Bluenose. Thanks. The Powers that Be will make it a Read Me. I would give you some karma, but it says that you've had too much :lol:

If anyone else has any other information on other long term visas (other than MM2H), please post on this topic.

Sue Oct 11th 2013 10:33 am

This is brilliant Bluenose. I'm going to add it to our article section too.

bakedbean Dec 10th 2013 8:54 am

A question for Bluenose, or anyone else really. If one is married to a Malaysian, what are the advantages of getting a LTSVP rather than applying for MM2H.

I know several folks who are married to Malaysians and it seems to be pretty much split between which visa they get. Some get LTSVP, some get MM2H.

One of my friends in KL said that he wanted (needed) to work so went for the LTSVP. I guess you need to shell out more money for Fixed Deposits on the MM2H visa but, on the other hand, you get a 10 year visa (renewable).

What other things are good about the LTSVP?

Bluenose1 Dec 11th 2013 5:43 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11028956)
A question for Bluenose, or anyone else really. If one is married to a Malaysian, what are the advantages of getting a LTSVP rather than applying for MM2H.

I know several folks who are married to Malaysians and it seems to be pretty much split between which visa they get. Some get LTSVP, some get MM2H.

One of my friends in KL said that he wanted (needed) to work so went for the LTSVP. I guess you need to shell out more money for Fixed Deposits on the MM2H visa but, on the other hand, you get a 10 year visa (renewable).

What other things are good about the LTSVP?

A very good question! I honestly don't really know the answer, other than as you say, no fixed deposit. I didn't have to prove any annual income, although my sponsor did. No requirement to have a medical either. I believe that after 6 years on LTSVP I can then apply for PR, provided I have no criminal record! I suspect the approval process is possibly quicker, certainly my renewal was very quick. Cost of the visa - as I mentioned in my first post, I had to pay RM1,500.00 but (as things stand now) that is refundable if/when I apply and am accepted for PR. Each visa renewal only costs RM90!

However, as I also mentioned, the LTSVP states that "employment of any kind is prohibited", although I have been told (but not by any recognisable authority!) that I can apply to have that endorsed if I have an offer of employment.

kebi Dec 11th 2013 12:07 pm

The advantages of the LTSVP under the spouse program are: no fixed deposit required, cheaper and you can apply for work permit (if you really want). See Immigration regulations:

“Working permit for Spouse of Malaysian Citizen
1.The foreign husband/wife is permitted to work in Malaysia without having to change their Social Visit Pass to the Employment Pass on condition that the spouse has acquired work approval from the Immigration Department.
2.The approval is in the form of an endorsement on the passport/travel document.
3.The endorsement is given free of charge.
4.The endorsement entitles the holder to work in any legal profession.
5.The application for the endorsement can be made at the Visa, Pass and Permit Division Immigration Head Quarters or at the nearest state Immigration office.
6.The permit is effective any time after or during the submission of the Social Visit Pass.
7.The letter of application should be submitted together with a copy of the letter of appointment/company registration evidence, marriage certificate and a valid Long Term Social Visit Pass.”

Another plus could be that you can apply for PR after six years. It is not stated anywhere that you will get it – you are only eligible to apply. The approval or rejection will take another two years with interviews at police and immigration.

The disadvantages are: no special price for your first car and you will get the five years only after several renewals with plenty of paperwork required which changes each time you reapply.

bakedbean Dec 11th 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks Kebi.....interesting.

Hovite Dec 17th 2013 2:19 am

Very interesting information in the posts. One point which maybe unique in my case (Sabah) my Malaysian wife and I married in 1978 before the requirement to register marriages in the UK with the Malaysian authorities. That was all fine until we emigrated and I started applying for a LTSVP. They wanted a Malaysian Marriage Certificate. We had to go through hoops to get one, ably assisted by the Malaysian authorities - the UK High Comm did also help but the ban on notarizing documents was a pain. Once we got it all was fine. I am not sure whether it was because I am still working outside Malaysia but they gave me a 5 year visa at the first time of asking. So did my son. My reason for choosing the LTSVP route was that I intend to apply for PR. Malaysia is our home now. Being able to use the expat/VIP lane in immigration is an added bonus!

Hovite Dec 17th 2013 2:23 am

Ah sorry, forgot the punch line. If anyone in the UK is married to a Malaysian citizen and only has a UK Marriage Certificate and plans to move to Malaysia and apply for a LTSVP, register your marriage at the Malaysian High Comm. in London and get a Malaysian Marriage Certificate BEFORE you leave UK. Don't leave it until you arrive in Malaysia and try to do it there. It is a nightmare and almost impossible!

Bluenose1 Dec 17th 2013 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Hovite (Post 11040585)
I am not sure whether it was because I am still working outside Malaysia but they gave me a 5 year visa at the first time of asking. So did my son. My reason for choosing the LTSVP route was that I intend to apply for PR. Malaysia is our home now. Being able to use the expat/VIP lane in immigration is an added bonus!

There could be a number of reasons. Could possibly be because you have a child. It could be something to do with you are still working. I think it also depends on when you applied for the LTSVP. They have been changing the rules quite a lot in the last couple of years. I have heard previously that many applicants got 5 years straight away. Others only 1 year first then 5 years on renewal. As I said, in my case, 6 months first then 1 year on first renewal. Also, it used to be that you could apply for PR after 5 years. Now it is 6. That might be why they only give 1 year on first renewal now. Perhaps second renewal will be 5 years?

Hovite Dec 17th 2013 4:27 am

Hi Bluenose1, I think in my case it is the income, we have no dependent children - they are all in their thirties and working. I applied in December 2011 and obtained the visa in Jan 2012. Another factor maybe location. Sabah does have different laws to West Malaysia. I think PR is only after 7 years in Sabah.

tea42 Apr 6th 2014 2:39 am

Thanks for all the useful information.

I called the Immigration in Alor Setar today and they said we'd need the following:

1. My UK passport
2. My wife's Malaysian IC
3. Our Malaysian marriage certificates (Husband's and wife's copies)
4. My wife's birth certificate
5. Our children's birth certificates
6. Our marriage photo
7. 3 passport photos of me, 2 of my wife
8. Our house plan, including location
9. Confirmation documents from a magistrate

bakedbean Apr 6th 2014 12:44 pm

Welcome to the forum tea42 :)

tea42 Apr 7th 2014 2:12 pm

Thanks, bakedbean :-) The also told me that if all the docs were in order, it'd only take a day to process! I'll post back once we've actually completed everything ;-)

Shardy Jun 3rd 2014 7:58 am

I just renewed my LTSVP. I was originally given two years and then had it endorsed to show that I am allowed to work in Malaysia.

The renewal was fairly easy and I've applied for 5 years but not sure if I will get it - I won't find out until I go to collect the new visa in one week. It seems pretty random how much they are willing to give on each application/renewal.

The only thing I wasn't expecting was that they wanted a copy of my babies birth certificate - luckily I had it with me (just in case) and was able to copy it at the Immigration office while waiting for my queue number to come up.

So in summary to renew an LTSVP you need:

Form 38
Form 55
Surat Akuan (notarized) - declaration that marriage is still valid
Passport
Spouses IC
Letter from employer (if employed)
Copies of any children's birth certificates

Hope this helps!