Is KL crime that bad?

Old May 15th 2008, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

peelie72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is KL crime that bad?

hi all.

my wife and i are moving to KL in 2 weeks.

i've heard some pretty bad stories about women related crime. bag snatching, mugging, car jacking, police extorting money from asian females at immigration and of course rape.

my wife is an educated thai lass but as yet we have not arranged her a uk passport, simply because we both refuse to live in the uk, so i'm a bit concerned for her with immigration although she will have a residence spouse visa.

i also understand people can play up situations. i lived in singapore for a few year and the locals would talk about johor baru as if it was nigeria.

can anyone share light on the real situation pls?

thanks in advance
Old May 16th 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Doz1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is KL crime that bad?

We will be moving to KL very soon and are very excited about it.
I have heard nothing but good reports of KL and have certainly never heard of any of the things you mention here.

Im hoping what you have been told is false information and i for one am going to disregard it. I dont want to be getting the jitters so close to our move

Reasurance please anyone
Old May 16th 2008, 8:19 am
Just Joined

from reading your other replies, i understadn we fly in 2 days behind you.

i apologise for the bad timing of this thread.2

i've travelled extensively throughout asia and have seen very little crime, but i am male.

i love my wife dearly and i understand that experience can be different from a female perspective. ask any single western travellers who have visited india.

asian women can get a harder time than their western counterparts, so it is for this reason i have asked an important question.
Old May 16th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Doz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Peelie, i totaly understand your concerns.

Obviously everywhere has crime and if we were put off going anywhere where it existed then sadly we would all be staying put.

I have done a lot of research into KL and found there to be a very low crime rate. The only thing i have heard is that women should keep a good eye on their handbags!

I have been to India also and found it a wonderful friendly place

Lets hope we all have a fantastic happy time there.
Where will you be living? we will be in Bangsar.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:09 am
Just Joined

have no idea yet!

i will be working at subang, the old airport, and have an apartment provided near by for the first month.

we will use this month to locate the ideal condo in the ideal area that suits us both.

don't get me wrong, i don't believe most of what i hear, unless its backed up of course. hell i went trekking in pakistan for 5 weeks and got away with a pay dispute with an angry mountain guy doning a hunting rifle!

but i am married now and i have obligations to my wife.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by peelie72
have no idea yet!

i will be working at subang, the old airport, and have an apartment provided near by for the first month.

we will use this month to locate the ideal condo in the ideal area that suits us both.

don't get me wrong, i don't believe most of what i hear, unless its backed up of course. hell i went trekking in pakistan for 5 weeks and got away with a pay dispute with an angry mountain guy doning a hunting rifle!

but i am married now and i have obligations to my wife.
What in parricular should a single UK female foreigner watch out for - besides Handbags, Pickpockets - which is not dissimilar in Rome and certain areas even in the UK!)
Old May 17th 2008, 5:06 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by djoerk
What in parricular should a single UK female foreigner watch out for - besides Handbags, Pickpockets - which is not dissimilar in Rome and certain areas even in the UK!)
As Djoerk says, these things happen all over the place - UK certainly, Thailand certainly, Malaysia certainly and even safe Singapore gets its fair share of pickpockets in the centre now. Just watch out, be sensible, etc etc and enjoy KL.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:34 pm
Banned

joggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nice

Your wife will be fine and being Thai probably wont struggle to find work either. There are a lot of Thai women working in KL.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

cheers for the info.

sorry not to reply. arrived last week, just got hooked up on the net.

at first glance, kl is a top city.