Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

It's durian season again

It's durian season again

Old May 29th 2016, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's durian season again

Hi BB,
Thought of you today http://britishexpats.com/forum/malay.../#post11648772 when I came upon a stall at the Little Penang Market selling slices of various cakes. I bought some durian cake and although there are visible pieces of durian in the cake there was very little durian odour and the flavour was very mild. A good starting point if you still haven't plucked up the courage to try some.

The stall holder also has a shop so you should be able to get some if you are in George Town. It is called Passion Heart and the address is 83 Mutri Street.
Old May 29th 2016, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

TousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: It's durian season again

I stopped by at a stall in the Apple 1 Hotel on Jalan Burma opposite the Adventist hospital for my first of the season, E600 apparently. It is run by a very pleasant couple who are farmers & grow the durians along with other fruits. I think the stall opens around midday. They even offer durian parties if anyone is so inclined.
Old May 29th 2016, 9:43 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

It may well be Durian Season but it's also Ramadan Date Season which excites me more. Just made a big batch of Date and Pineapple "Jam"....yum yum.
Old May 29th 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

The one downside of 6 months in UK and 6 months in Singapore is the fact that our time in UK covers the durian season.
These days the durian season is maybe 8 months long when considering all Malaysia, Thailand and Indon and maybe even longer if you take into account poorer quality stored durians but we do miss the best of the durian season. Really miss it.
Old May 29th 2016, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
It may well be Durian Season but it's also Ramadan Date Season which excites me more. Just made a big batch of Date and Pineapple "Jam"....yum yum.
I was never a date fan when working in the middle east.
The sack fulls of dates in the souks with flies crawling all over them put me off even though I realise the benefits of dates in hot countries with poor diets.

But we used to do some work for the Sultan Qaboos at his palace and grounds in Sohar and we used to scrump his limes to make a lime drink. ( ticket back to UK if caught )
That lime drink after a couple of hours in 40c plus temperatures was a good a drink as any I've tasted, alcoholic drinks included.
Old May 29th 2016, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

I did not see any XOs so far, but the cheap Kampung stuff seems to be better than normal this year. Because of the dry spring? Musang King goes for 50 per Kilo at the moment, not happy about this.

For me it is the first full durian season, so I am highly motivated. Of cause the king of fruits is one of the reasons for moving to Malaysia
Old May 29th 2016, 11:08 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
The sack fulls of dates in the souks with flies crawling all over them put me off
You have to be aware that all fruits and veggies must be washed first. My dates get a good soaking before the jamming stage

That reminds me of something that was circulating farcebook a week or so again, about the durian seller who was (seemingly) spitting on each piece of durian before bagging up..... eeuugh
Cops looking into alleged 'spitting' durian seller - Nation | The Star Online
Old Jun 5th 2016, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's durian season again

A chinese friend of mine was sold - like it happens so often - a Durian as Musang King that has been ordinary. He recognized this at home after opening and trying and drove directly back to the stall parking his mighty Toyota Fortuner two centimeter close to the stall , jumping out of the car, throwing the shell and the meat on the ground and "asked" to get his money back, successfully.

I donĀ“t recommend this strategy, just never buy a Musang King without opening and trying it directly at the stall before paying. Best is to find a dealer you trust. If you are in KL, I would love to give you a recommendation like Neon Hippy gave for Penang, but in center of town, especially Jalan Alor Area all dealers cannot be trusted. You can buy there a "normal" Durian for OK price, but nothing else.