Reload this Page >

Internship in Malaysia... visa question

Internship in Malaysia... visa question

Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

hewvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internship in Malaysia... visa question

Hey there,

I will do a 5-month internship in Malaysia in 2009. The company (subsidiary of a European one) won´t apply for a work visa for me, instead I should do a visa-run after three months. The company pays a salary.

How legitimate is this? Will there be any problems with Malaysian officials? Will they notice?

Thanks.

Last edited by hewvic; Sep 27th 2008 at 5:47 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internship in Malaysia... visa question

It's illegal to work without a work visa in most countries.

Unless you're consulting.

I think.

Will they be paying you locally or are they trying to get away without paying tax.

Most of us have done this type of thing though.
I wonder if the F1 guys in Singapore have a work visa?
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:06 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really want to move across the world (assumption there) for a company that has such blatantly dodgy practices? If it all goes belly up, you won't have a leg to stand on.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:04 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

The question of internship and work may be separate. Look up the rules for internships - they may be exempt from visa rules - they are in some countries, You may need an education visa though.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:53 am
Just Joined

hewvic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex reg
Most of us have done this type of thing though.
You mean working abroad without proper permit/visa and doing the visa-run?

What I know is that some of the companies get their interns a 6-month visa. But some other companies don´t.
I just wonder if anyone (e.g. police, immigration officials) will notice.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:31 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair one - the issue is taking the risk or not.

Where I live (~Kuwait) you cannot employ on a temp basis and so the payment for the intern is made to the UK / US College who have an arrangement to pay back the intern. Works fine - complicated by tax but the amounts are not huge for the short duration. Worth asking about.

The point about earning in Malaysia is tax - if you pay that then all's well.

Malaysia has a double tax arrangement with UK and other countries so paying the tax there is erfectly acceptable to them.