Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Importing a Car into Malaysia

Importing a Car into Malaysia

Old May 15th 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing a Car into Malaysia

Hi all,

Wanted to find out how easy or difficult it is to import a car into Malaysia. What kind of costs involved? Is it worth it? Would be great to hear of experiences...

Regards
Abdul
Old May 15th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a Car into Malaysia

Originally Posted by abdulawwal
Hi all,

Wanted to find out how easy or difficult it is to import a car into Malaysia. What kind of costs involved? Is it worth it? Would be great to hear of experiences...

Regards
Abdul
Would also like to understand the import permit process and ability to drive into Singapore?
Old May 15th 2012, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Regards
Abdul
If you go the MM2H route then yes its worth it. Because under MM2H scheme you can import a car tax free as long as you can proof you've owned it more than 6 months. If not the custom tax start from 150%.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Would also like to understand the import permit process and ability to drive into Singapore?
I think you need to speak to the embassy on that or any expert here might know.

If you residence in Singapore you can not drive a Malaysia or foreign car in Singapore. You can only drive foreign car in to Singapore for not more than 18hrs a day if I'm not wrong. Only people live in JB drive in & they have to pay S$20 everyday day VEP. But if you become a Singapore PR even if you don't live in Singapore you still can't drive a Malaysia car in to Singapore.

I think the Singapore government close the loophole for Singapore residents try to buy cheap Malaysia car then drive in to the island.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. Guess not worth it then!
Old May 16th 2012, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
I think you need to speak to the embassy on that or any expert here might know.

If you residence in Singapore you can not drive a Malaysia or foreign car in Singapore. You can only drive foreign car in to Singapore for not more than 18hrs a day if I'm not wrong. Only people live in JB drive in & they have to pay S$20 everyday day VEP. But if you become a Singapore PR even if you don't live in Singapore you still can't drive a Malaysia car in to Singapore.

I think the Singapore government close the loophole for Singapore residents try to buy cheap Malaysia car then drive in to the island.
But if I become resident in Singapore and drive a Singapore Car I can drive daily back and forth from Malaysia? (I will not be concerned on cost - thats the companies problem) Just dont want to do the drive too border walk across and pick up another car on other side.
Old May 16th 2012, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. Guess not worth it then!
There is a thread somewhere where I put all the regs/costs for buying using cars in Sing/Malaysia.
Can't remember the details now.
Old May 16th 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
But if I become resident in Singapore and drive a Singapore Car I can drive daily back and forth from Malaysia? (I will not be concerned on cost - thats the companies problem) Just dont want to do the drive too border walk across and pick up another car on other side.
If the cost is not an issue then Singapore car is it then. You can drive Singapore car to Malaysia without any issue.