Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Hello to everyone... just joined

Hello to everyone... just joined

Old May 30th 2016, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello to everyone... just joined

Originally Posted by LuzantCalifornia
- The Sing based tax advisor suggested it would be beneficial to be under MM2H...live in Malaysia and work in Singapore...as I am an American and Singapore does not have a Double Taxation Treaty with the USA.
Please do not think I am not questioning the advice given to you by the tax advisor, but surely if you are on the payroll of a Singapore company, they will deduct Singaporean tax from your salary before you receive it.

Singapore tax rates are higher for non-residents and I would have thought it would therefore be preferable to be resident in Singapore.

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/Ind...Non-Residents/

Are you able to give any more details on what the tax advisor said?
Old May 30th 2016, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

LuzantCalifornia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Teejaydee- Good observation...without getting into too much detail...I've unique and complex tax issues especially as it relates to American IRS. My tax advisor is looking at an optimized tax strategy NOT tax avoidance. Wish I could share more.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Please do not think I am not questioning the advice given to you by the tax advisor, but surely if you are on the payroll of a Singapore company, they will deduct Singaporean tax from your salary before you receive it.

Singapore tax rates are higher for non-residents and I would have thought it would therefore be preferable to be resident in Singapore.

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/Ind...Non-Residents/

Are you able to give any more details on what the tax advisor said?
That doesn't happen to me.... I get a whopping single bill around July, which coincides with the school fees and the school summer holiday costs. It's the worst time of my life... every year, and here it comes again!
Old Jul 21st 2016, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

kiat137 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Luzant, welcome to Malaysia!

Here are some some personal comment for your question.

- With my work schedule is it possible to maintain a worry free life style if I live in MY and work in SG?
MY & SG welcome Western country people to come over, both country people are well educated, learned English since kindergarten, English commonly use.

- I lived in UK, France, Brasil and the USA but never lived in an Asian and/or Muslim country...am I going to subject myself for "public caning"?
Well, Malaysia named as Muslim country, besides than Muslim family, other people still can choose their own religion freely. You can see Church, Chinese Temple, Indian Temple, Muslim Mosque everywhere and they're neighbors!

1. In MY you can have 2 international airport (Normal & low cost) just next to each other. More choice for you to travel around Asia country.

2. SG internet is faster compare to MY.

4. You may consider KL for your daughter education, KL have more choices.

5. Wine, liquor, beer are free to consume anywhere as long as you're not Muslim. You feel hard to find pork in MY?

- Oh, I plan to purchase a car under MM2H program...is there any hassle I should be aware of?
Purchase a car under MM2H you must buy it within the 1st year you get your MM2H visa. Choosing a car dealer who have experience will make you hassle free. I can recommend if you need and you're in KL.

- Being single, I prefer to have a live in/live out helper...preferably Thai (food) or Philippina (language)...it would be fantastic if she can do grocery shopping and/or drive a car.
A helper cannot drive a car in Malaysia. Most of the time you wouldn't be in the house, maybe you don't need a full time helper.

- Which highrise buildings I should be looking into for rental...living in California I am comfortable between RM 6000 and sub RM10,000/month.
RM 6,000 - 10,000 you can get a very luxury condo in KL. Other city you can get a bungalow.