Have you learnt Malay?

Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice
Default Re: Have you learnt Malay?

Me & Hubby speak some basic Malay and try out new sentences on our security guards in our apartment block as we go off for a stroll in the evenings - they love it!

They seem to appreciate we are trying!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:11 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you It's nice to know a few basic phrases, isn't it.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrasey2
Me & Hubby speak some basic Malay and try out new sentences on our security guards in our apartment block as we go off for a stroll in the evenings - they love it!

They seem to appreciate we are trying!
Exactly. I found it was what partly made Malay so interesting to learn. The fact that the local folk would engage and assist in such a joyful way made it a pleasure when learning.
So different from learning a European language.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jun 16th 2011 at 3:18 am.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future

I've now had a cultural briefing and about 20hrs of lessons under my belt, it's such a fun language and my teacher is from PJ and so much fun, I hope she is good representation of the people there, from what I hear I have a feeling she is

It's good to hear that I will be able to practise it in KL and PJ and that the locals will have fun at my expense, my teacher does and has a good laugh!

Starting to get my head around some of the colloquialisms, they have soooo many words for the same thing though, it's confusing, however I it's the same in any language and I can often relate the subtle differences to English contextual differences, but I'm definitely better reading it than hearing it at the mo, takes me a while to figure out where words end and begin they talk so fast.

Anyhoo, even in my early stages I would urge anyone to give it a go, so much fun and as has been said, so they appear so accommodating why wouldn't you?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

I take my hat off to you. I have never managed the language, other than order another beer or order a simple meal, and thats after 18 years off and on. I can count in Cantonese which is a help with negotiations, but other than that no go. You will have heaps of fun learning and all power to you.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yup well done Jim
Old Jun 18th 2011, 5:34 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by optimistic_jim
I've now had a cultural briefing and about 20hrs of lessons under my belt, it's such a fun language and my teacher is from PJ and so much fun, I hope she is good representation of the people there, from what I hear I have a feeling she is

It's good to hear that I will be able to practise it in KL and PJ and that the locals will have fun at my expense, my teacher does and has a good laugh!

Starting to get my head around some of the colloquialisms, they have soooo many words for the same thing though, it's confusing, however I it's the same in any language and I can often relate the subtle differences to English contextual differences, but I'm definitely better reading it than hearing it at the mo, takes me a while to figure out where words end and begin they talk so fast.

Anyhoo, even in my early stages I would urge anyone to give it a go, so much fun and as has been said, so they appear so accommodating why wouldn't you?
I know it's Thai and not Malay but I remember years ago in a restaurant being asked by my hosts what kind of clams I would like to eat as the seafood there was pretty good. I replied quite forcefully that big ones , small ones I wasn't fussy, I would eat any kind of clam. The waitress starts going bright red and everyone else at the table starts having a good laugh at my expense. It was only some time later that I found out that the word for clam / shell is the same as the word for a woman's vagina. I've never ordered this food since !

All part of the fun of learning another language.

So if you are in Thailand and someone asks you if you like eating shell then they are probably having a joke with you , or not as the case may be .
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Haha people love to take the Mickey. The first thing Cantonese tried to teach me was "hai", which has, like nearly all,Cantonese words, 7 unrelated meanings. So they get you to sa "Hi" as in a western greeting, then fall about laughing as the meaning sung that way in Cantonese is the same as Thai "clam". Maybe why they giggle when they see matt salleh's (mad sailors?) greeting each other.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future

Haha, love it! I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories to tell of my language blunders!! I already managed to get the words besar (big) and bagus (good) mixed up, not too bad unless the context is talking about a woman!

My next session later today starts with Maafkan saya, which I think I'll be using quite a bit seeing as it means "Please excuse me"
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

When I arrived here I worked for a German company who had a worldwide policy of all employees must speak English so initially I rarely got exposed to Bahasa.

One thing you will learn quite quickly is the term 'Lah' can be put onto the end of many sentences; 'Going to the restoran lah'....etc

The other is the use of Manglish which is a combination of English & Bahasa that is quite commonly used.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ya Encik Cat, I am fortunate to have a really good teacher who has enlightened me to the famous "lah", she even gave me an article called The Adorable Lah - Authentically Malaysian by Lee Su Kim, which is funny and educational at the same time!

As for Manglish, my teacher says that when we exchange a few text messages catching up between lessons (although I'm sure she's checking I'm revising!) that I sound just like one of her Malaysian friends, mixing up the English and Malay, thing is though it's not done on purpose, I only have limited Malay and so it's a case of I'll say in Malay what I know and around it fit in the odd Malay word or two!

Biggest thing I'm struggling with at the moment is the prefix and suffix stuff and general grammar, which isn't a major thing in everyday "street" talk, however we are covering this off in the next lesson on Thursday so I'm hoping it'll become less samar-samar (blurry)!

Looking forward to trying it out for real!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:42 am

Sounds like you're romping away OJ.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by optimistic_jim
Ya Encik Cat, I am fortunate to have a really good teacher who has enlightened me to the famous "lah", she even gave me an article called The Adorable Lah - Authentically Malaysian by Lee Su Kim, which is funny and educational at the same time!

As for Manglish, my teacher says that when we exchange a few text messages catching up between lessons (although I'm sure she's checking I'm revising!) that I sound just like one of her Malaysian friends, mixing up the English and Malay, thing is though it's not done on purpose, I only have limited Malay and so it's a case of I'll say in Malay what I know and around it fit in the odd Malay word or two!

Biggest thing I'm struggling with at the moment is the prefix and suffix stuff and general grammar, which isn't a major thing in everyday "street" talk, however we are covering this off in the next lesson on Thursday so I'm hoping it'll become less samar-samar (blurry)!

Looking forward to trying it out for real!
You'll be fine. When communicating for real the response is usually positive that it will just make you want to learn more.

I used to sit in Malay stall and just talk to whoever was around. Write down what I didn't know or ask them to.
Malay is a rather rich language in idioisms as well.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:00 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ha ha, you better get over to the Thai sub-forum I learnt a bit when I was living there. Forgive me correcting you, but I see you are female, so you must say Sawadi-kar. A man will say Sawadi-khap. I enjoyed learning it but the characters... whorrrr... and they don't all go left to right either. And after I discovered that they don't put gaps in between words, that finished it off for me. A bit too challenging for my senior brain Anyway best of luck with that. It's an interesting language and I'm sure your braincells function a little better than mine

How many languages do you speak, Stranded?
Indeed it doesn't all go left to right. It can go forwards and backwards and up and down all in the same word. My reading is not great but I can do it. As I'll try and demonstrate. I don;t know how to switch to Thai on my computer and it takes ages to find the letters on the keyboard too. But if we look at the Thai word for school which sounds like longrian. long ree an.

e
it's actually written something like this : o l ng r a n

then words can sort of spread from the middle. If we look at the word for call which sounds like riak or reeyak.

it's written a bit like this : ee
a r y k

you do get the hang of sort of looking for the word and when you have sufficient vocabulary it's not really that hard to see where one word ends and another begins. Still with 44 consonants and 32 vowels plus a few other things just to f@#$ you up it's not that easy.

Not as bad as Chinese though surely. I read somewhere that there were about 1000 characters !
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Indeed it doesn't all go left to right. It can go forwards and backwards and up and down all in the same word. My reading is not great but I can do it. As I'll try and demonstrate. I don;t know how to switch to Thai on my computer and it takes ages to find the letters on the keyboard too. But if we look at the Thai word for school which sounds like longrian. long ree an.

e
it's actually written something like this : o l ng r a n

then words can sort of spread from the middle. If we look at the word for call which sounds like riak or reeyak.

it's written a bit like this : ee
a r y k

you do get the hang of sort of looking for the word and when you have sufficient vocabulary it's not really that hard to see where one word ends and another begins. Still with 44 consonants and 32 vowels plus a few other things just to f@#$ you up it's not that easy.

Not as bad as Chinese though surely. I read somewhere that there were about 1000 characters !
didn't work when it came up on the screen but the 'e' sound should be above the 'r'