Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Frangipani problems - Mealy Bug Attack

Frangipani problems - Mealy Bug Attack

Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:58 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Frangipani problems - Mealy Bug Attack

Hi,

I’m struggling to control a Mealy Bug problem on one of my Frangipani trees here in Penang which is distorting the leaves. Nearly all of them!

As the tree is 12ft tall, it’s not easy to blast them off with the hose, and I don’t like spraying with chemical insecticides as the spray inevitably falls back onto me from above. I also love the butterflies in the garden, and have fish in a pond near the tree, so the fewer chemicals the better.

I’ve just read on www.thefrangipaniman.com that one solution is to use ‘White Oil’. The website says:

White oil is very simple & cheap to make, I use Sunlight liquid detergent and a cheap vegetable oil. You simply mix 2 cups of vegetable oil with 1/2 a cup of liquid detergent(a 4 to 1 ratio) and shake very well before use, the ratio for actual use are 1 tablespoon to a litre of water and again, shake well. The oil and detergent will seperate in the bottle so they will always need to be well shaken before mixing with water.

Has anyone tried using White Oil?
If so, how often should you spray it?
Any other ideas?

Many thanks

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Jul 11th 2016 at 12:01 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frangipani problems - Mealy Bug Attack

Cross-cut saw ??
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:22 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frangipani problems - Mealy Bug Attack

Originally Posted by ex reg
Cross-cut saw ??
That's not funny Ex-Reg

If only you knew how difficult it was to dig the Frangipani up from under a coconut tree and transplant it to where it is now. Never ever again will I fight with a coconut.

A saw! A saw! Good God man. No, please.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Jul 11th 2016 at 12:51 pm.