Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Driving in Malaysia on a UK licence

Driving in Malaysia on a UK licence

Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:39 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Malaysia on a UK licence

As Bluenose correctly says:
‘As the law in Malaysia currently stands, there is absolutely no need to obtain an IDP. You will be able to drive using your UK Driving Licence’

But, depending on:
a) how long you intend to live in Malaysia, and
b) how much longer the photo on your licence remains valid (the maximum is 10 years)..

you may want to think about getting a new UK licence (with an up to date photo) before you leave the UK so that it will be valid for the full ten years.

This is because if you decide not to get a Malaysian licence and to only use your UK licence in Malaysia, you may find that your UK licence is invalid in the UK when you’re back on a visit because your photo (not the licence itself) has expired.

A few things to note:
• UK driving licences are address based, and only can only carry your UK address.
• If you apply for a new photocard licence, the DVLA will only send it to the UK address shown on the licence.
• If you’re moving abroad, you can’t register your new overseas address on your UK driving licence.
• The DVLA won’t renew your photo-ID whilst you are living abroad.
• To apply for a UK driving licence, you must be normally resident in the UK for more than 185 days, and declare that you are resident in the UK
• It is a criminal offence to make a false declaration to get a UK driving licence, doing so can lead to a prosecution and a maximum penalty of two years imprisonment.

This all gets complicated from Malaysia, it’s probably better to sort it out before you leave the UK.

JC3
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

ruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud of

NEW STYLE UK LICENSE CHANGES:

Just thought that I'd pop this link on here in regards to some new changes that will take place on U.K. licenses.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...riving-licence

If you've only just renewed your license then you wont have to update it until it's up for the renewal date issued on your card.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Goodfella33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Had a good look around couldn't see anywhere relevant to put this so hopefully you guys can help.

I'm going to Kuala Lumpur in 3 weeks, i have a friend who has said i can drive her car, now i have a full UK licence and can obtain a IDP (but from reading this thread it may not be needed)
My question is Insurance for her car? will she have to add me on her side of things or will i need to notify my UK Insurance company?

I've driven abroad in numerous countries but always with a hire car so that takes care of its self with the Insurance.

Any help or guidance much appreciated.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:15 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's extremely unlikely your UK insurers would cover you but I imagine it would be no problem for her Malaysian insurers. I stand to be corrected on the latter point though.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I think it's extremely unlikely your UK insurers would cover you but I imagine it would be no problem for her Malaysian insurers. I stand to be corrected on the latter point though.
Thanks for the quick reply, Yeah its a tricky one il ask her to get in touch with her insurance company to see what is actually needed.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodfella33
Hi guys,

Had a good look around couldn't see anywhere relevant to put this so hopefully you guys can help.

I'm going to Kuala Lumpur in 3 weeks, i have a friend who has said i can drive her car, now i have a full UK licence and can obtain a IDP (but from reading this thread it may not be needed)
My question is Insurance for her car? will she have to add me on her side of things or will i need to notify my UK Insurance company?

I've driven abroad in numerous countries but always with a hire car so that takes care of its self with the Insurance.

Any help or guidance much appreciated.
No problem with you driving her car on your UK licence. In Malaysia, it is the car that is insured, not the driver. So long as you have the owner's permission, you can drive the car, provided the car is covered First Party (which I think is a bit similar to Fully Comprehensive). We had been coming over to Malaysia pretty much every year for a week or 2 at a time, and I was always able to drive one of my in-law's cars. When we arrived here last year, we had the use of 3 different family member's cars at different times until we had bought our own.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
No problem with you driving her car on your UK licence. In Malaysia, it is the car that is insured, not the driver. So long as you have the owner's permission, you can drive the car, provided the car is covered First Party (which I think is a bit similar to Fully Comprehensive). We had been coming over to Malaysia pretty much every year for a week or 2 at a time, and I was always able to drive one of my in-law's cars. When we arrived here last year, we had the use of 3 different family member's cars at different times until we had bought our own.
Brilliant, thanks very much! I can tick that off my list now