Drinking water

Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drinking water

All depends on the pressure of the incoming water. Ours is as good as the cold shower was (only warm/hot!).
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nakrob
We always use tap water for brushing teeth, even with our daughter. It's rinse and spit so shouldn't be a problem. I've always done the same in other SEA countries and not had ill effects attributable to this. Drinking we use bottled water bought in bulk. Also use the bottled water for cooking and even for tea/coffee. Having a water filter/purification system on the tap supply would solve all these issues but we're renting and haven't suggested this to our landlord. How much do they cost to install and then run as I believe you need to regularly replace the filter cartridges?
Whether the cartridge needs to be replaced or its frequency will depend on the type of water filter being installed.

Some are using the back flush method to wash away grim and dirt.

http://www.lelong.com.my/kx/outdoor+water+filter.htm

I am sure you are able to talk with the tenant to fix one?

After you had fix one, the foods you cook with the water filtered will taste better. If you look at the cartridge after 2 weeks of usage you be surprise how much dirt is being filtered!

Last edited by roystevenung; Jan 8th 2014 at 8:36 am.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
All depends on the pressure of the incoming water. Ours is as good as the cold shower was (only warm/hot!).
If the water pressure is low, it is advisable to install one with a "jet pump". They costs more than the normal ones, but it gives a very good water throughput.

http://www.panasonic.com/my/consumer.../jet-pump.html
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

lovinglife23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roystevenung
If the water pressure is low, it is advisable to install one with a "jet pump". They costs more than the normal ones, but it gives a very good water throughput.

http://www.panasonic.com/my/consumer.../jet-pump.html
Thanks everyone for the replies....this info would be great in a "moving to Malaysia" thread as these are issues I didn't consider but would be useful for house hunting & rental negotiations (hot water, water pressure, filtration)...however, I would prefer to pick out and pay for my own filtration system and have the peace of mind that it's a high quality reliable filtration system. Did anyone purchase their own, if so please advise the price and brand. It seems the range is anywhere from 600 to 2000 MYR.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Daddy Longlegs is an unknown quantity at this point

I use an Everpure water filter fitted by my kitchen sink. Its very good. The same system is used by Starbucks and Coffee Bean (a bigger one than my version!).

Contact Jeffrey on 0162207787. He will come to your house and fit it for you. I think its about RM1400. It has 2 filters - one of those simple cheap paper ones to get the big stuff out and then a granular activated carbon one.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs
Contact Jeffrey on 0162207787. He will come to your house and fit it for you.
Doesn't that depend on where you live? Or are you saying he will travel all over Malaysia?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:52 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Good point

I know he installs in KL and JB and I'm pretty sure he goes to Melaka and Penang too but probably not Borneo! He can inform you.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

I also use tap water for cleaning teeth. The water isn't perfect but its not that bad!

What's bad is buying bottled water. Not only is it a waste of plastic but accumulation of all the nasties from the plastic BPA containers can give you cancer, low sperm count and other unpleasantries...

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet...517-2jqn4.html

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...s-raises-alarm
Old Nov 30th 2014, 7:28 am
Just Joined

kevinramsey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drinking water (and cold water washes!)

Since returning to Malaysia (I was first here in the 80s) I've noticed the burgeoning market in water 'purifiers'. Some of these things can be horrendously expensive and many of the vendors make amazing claims about the health benefits of their version of H2O. Snake oil salesmen?
I'm looking for something rather less sophisticated: a device that will deliver the contents of an upturned 5 gallon water bottle- the kind widely available in supermarkets...preferably cold! Any suggestions?

Also, (though I digress from the thread topic!) it seems most (all?) Malaysians use cold water in their washing machines. This throws up a problem when choosing a new washing machine: the usual Google Search ('Top 10 Front-Loaders') isn't very helpful here. The web consumer sites assume you want to use hot water. Apart from hit-and-miss at Harvey Norman, does anybody know of a machine that might chug away for a few years without needing the attentions of the local plumber?
Old Nov 30th 2014, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

In the past 6 years I have either just used tap water or put in line 2 cheap off the shelf filter that hold a cheap element approx 1 foot long. I use the first housing with a 5 micron filter (white) and the second one a solid activated carbon block (Black with white outer mesh). All water is treated and safe, however the 5 micron filter removes sediment and sludge which can build up in pipes at times and the carbon one to remove the taste and smell of the treatment chemicals. These filter elements cheap at Tesco's

Any normal washing machine can wash in cold water and generally top loaders are cheaper to buy than front loaders. Hardly Normal (Harvey Norman) are OK but screw them down to Tesco or Giant prices...or just get from Tesco in the first place.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

When you check the bottle info for the source of the water quite a few bottles will state Tap Water or piped water.
No info on any further treatment.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Being a cheapskate I don't buy bottled water although I have filled up once or twice at the water machines. Tap water is treated and you can usually taste the chlorine or whatever they use. The carbon filter fixes that so that the tea or coffee is not tainted.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 9:25 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
Being a cheapskate I don't buy bottled water although I have filled up once or twice at the water machines. Tap water is treated and you can usually taste the chlorine or whatever they use. The carbon filter fixes that so that the tea or coffee is not tainted.
A number of studies in Europe have called into doubt the use of water filters. They are not very good at removing lead, nitrates, calcium, pesticides and micro-organisms but are quite good at adding various compounds which were not in the water before.

Is it possible to get water analysed in Malaysia so one could do a before and after to check?
Old Nov 30th 2014, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

There are a few of companies in Penang who can do a very thorough water test. From memory one is Myco2 and another is Spectrum. Probably a few others as well.

Most filter systems are only good at removing sediment. Fiber ones down to about 5 micron and ceramic ones down to 1 micron. At 1 micron many nasties can be removed and if this is combined with carbon to remove taste and odour plus Silver nitrate to kill most other nasties, you can get reasonably sterile water. Pozzani has probably some of the best, but not sure available in Malaysia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.