Dolphins

Old Oct 24th 2014, 1:36 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dolphins

Someone mentioned about polluted waters around Penang, and I could believe that, but I was reading the other day (and saw a nice picture too) of Dolphins swimming in the vicinity of the second bridge. I thought that Dolphins liked clean water?
Old Oct 25th 2014, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dolphins

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Someone mentioned about polluted waters around Penang, and I could believe that, but I was reading the other day (and saw a nice picture too) of Dolphins swimming in the vicinity of the second bridge. I thought that Dolphins liked clean water?
Maybe they were having a look to see if they would like to retire there with an mm2h visa.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 4:27 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just borrowing this pic from George Town facebook page so you can see.
Attached Thumbnails Dolphins-dolphins-near-2nd-bridge.jpg  
Old Oct 25th 2014, 6:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Lovely picture.

Dolphins would prefer unpolluted water but have been known to swim in polluted waters. Comes as a surprise really doesn't it as they have oceans to swim in, so why a polluted area. I suppose but do not know, that the answer to that may lie in migration , territory & food supply. Another suggestion is that through the generations certain pods have come to see polluted water as normal everyday life.

Not good for them health wise of course & because they are top of the food chain they could also ingest pollutants through their prey.

We're members of Project Jonah here in NZ and also follow the welfare of cetaceans , particularly the endangered Maui dolphins . That's where we have gleaned the above from.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 25th 2014 at 6:03 am.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 6:37 am

Thanks BEVS. I wondered if you would spot this topic

There's clearly a lot of fish around Penang waters so maybe that is the attraction.... I dunno.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:22 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know. I'm so predictable.

I also subscribe to National Geographic , although I really prefer National Geographical. Nothing better than a good old fashioned soak whilst reading my mag.

Here is an article which talks about dolphins that swim and feed in less than ideal waters.

Although dolphins breathe air and they swim through the water ( pollution), rather than simply lay in it, poor water quality will still effect them from their food chain to their skin. Dolphin and whale skin is actually very , very delicate.

An abundant food source would certainly be an attraction. It depends on what type of dolphin as to whether they are on a migratory route or more local . A bottlenose for instance, would tend to stay local. If they were migratory , then they would be a bit early up your way I think.

Dolphins like a good storm by the way. It stirs up all sorts of goodies , although sadly also people rubbish like plastic bags and disused fishing wire/nets .

Don't think , I think I know about dolphins. I only know bits from what I have read , followed or been told. The above may all be twaddle to an expert.

One thing is for certain. Ensuring top quality water will help the dolphins . From their food chain source to their calves. Not just the sea water but the run offs from fresh water & having the run off from fresh waters.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:27 am

They will like the monsoony storms then