Reload this Page >

Cost of Living in Penang

Cost of Living in Penang

Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Harry100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Living in Penang

Hi Everyone,

Would appreciate some feedback about the cost of living in Penang on monthly basis for a couple seeking a comfortable quality of life assuming they own their own condo. Particularly interested re the following in Penang:

1) Electricity costs assuming average a/c use

2) Food/beverage (incidentally what does lunch and/or cappuccinno cost at presentable cafe)

3) Car running costs ie insurance, maintenance, petrol etc

4) Communications ie internet, telephone, international TV channels etc

5) Medical including private health insurance

6) Anything else of relevance !!!!

This is my first post & so looking forward to some feedback from "Malaysia Insiders". This would be greatly appreciated.

Harry
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:38 am
Just Joined

pfk98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Living in Penang

Harry,

We've been living in Penang off and on for about 10 years. Southeast Asia is cheap. Penang is livable and cheap... on any budget. It's not an issue.

However, adjusting to the heat and local culture is an issue. I don't recommend anyone who is considering relocating here to go out and buy a condo upon arrival. Rent first or you might be repenting later.

Plus, you don't need to buy a home to comply with the immigration laws.

Sincerely,
Paul
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for response.

YES we intend to rent for minimum 6 - 12 months before buying. The heat/humidity is a factor - is it possible to get a good morning walk in up to a certain time or do we need to head for Penang Hill ? We are ex HK expatriates (18 years there).

RE cost of living, I wonder if you might be able to provide a ballpark monthly figure on the basis of owning condo (assume 250M2), 1 car, private club membership, living reasonably well (excluding trips outside Penang) for a couple ?? Many thanks.

Cheers,

Harry

Originally Posted by pfk98
Harry,

We've been living in Penang off and on for about 10 years. Southeast Asia is cheap. Penang is livable and cheap... on any budget. It's not an issue.

However, adjusting to the heat and local culture is an issue. I don't recommend anyone who is considering relocating here to go out and buy a condo upon arrival. Rent first or you might be repenting later.

Plus, you don't need to buy a home to comply with the immigration laws.

Sincerely,
Paul
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:42 am
Just Joined

pfk98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Harry,

I don't have the answers to your detailed questions. Anything you're enjoying in Hong Kong now should cost a fraction of that in Penang.

Suggestion: Pack a couple of bags, come to Penang for a couple of weeks, stay in a hotel, walk the streets, talk to the locals, visit the desirable condo areas, get used to the food, etc..

AirAsia and Hotel Malaysia on Penang Road should keep the cost down.

Do hands-on research.

After a month reach a conclusion... Yay or Nay.

Also: we walk up (part way) Penang Hill 3 times a week. Many people walk along the seafront on Gurney Drive... both in the early morning.

Paul
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Hi Paul,

You appear capable of reading our minds since we are visiting Penang early June to do exactly what you suggested.

Just seeking a heads-up beforehand from "Penang Insiders" & would still appreciate any further advice from people there.

Cheers,

Harry

Originally Posted by pfk98
Harry,

I don't have the answers to your detailed questions. Anything you're enjoying in Hong Kong now should cost a fraction of that in Penang.

Suggestion: Pack a couple of bags, come to Penang for a couple of weeks, stay in a hotel, walk the streets, talk to the locals, visit the desirable condo areas, get used to the food, etc..

AirAsia and Hotel Malaysia on Penang Road should keep the cost down.

Do hands-on research.

After a month reach a conclusion... Yay or Nay.

Also: we walk up (part way) Penang Hill 3 times a week. Many people walk along the seafront on Gurney Drive... both in the early morning.

Paul
Old Mar 27th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Living in Singapore we don't use a/c just fans.
No problem here with heat and humidity because of this.

But when we go to Penang always find it that much hotter.
Still just about OK for a holiday but borderline.

Don't get into the a/c habit.
Tough it out for a month and you should be OK but as in HK take along a sweater for those ice cold a/c restaurants.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Hotter than Singapore - WOW !!! Maybe, we will need to escape to Cameron Highlands for weekends. Many thanks ex reg.

I have since done some detailed research on "Cost of Living in Penang". The figure we are coming up with for a reasonably good (not over the top !!) quality of life for couple in Penang is $2000 - $2500 US per month after tax (assuming 1 car, private club membership, part time maid & owning say 2500 m2 condo).

Appreciate it is extremely difficult to generalise but does above seem about right ???

Harry

Originally Posted by ex reg
Living in Singapore we don't use a/c just fans.
No problem here with heat and humidity because of this.

But when we go to Penang always find it that much hotter.
Still just about OK for a holiday but borderline.

Don't get into the a/c habit.
Tough it out for a month and you should be OK but as in HK take along a sweater for those ice cold a/c restaurants.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:09 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to disagree but I used to live in Singapore, have visited Penang a few times and will be moving there this year, and I haven't found Penang hotter.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Thats a relief !!

Any views on Penang cost of living ?

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Sorry to disagree but I used to live in Singapore, have visited Penang a few times and will be moving there this year, and I haven't found Penang hotter.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harry100

I have since done some detailed research on "Cost of Living in Penang". The figure we are coming up with for a reasonably good (not over the top !!) quality of life for couple in Penang is $2000 - $2500 US per month after tax (assuming 1 car, private club membership, part time maid & owning say 2500 m2 condo).

Appreciate it is extremely difficult to generalise but does above seem about right ???

Harry
Hi Harry. There was a guy on another forum who put his breakdown of living costs in Penang, retired expat couple with smallish condo unit. I jotted them down for my reference (as we'll be moving there) and I'll put below. If I can find the link, I'll send it to you by PM. Always difficult to work out as we all lead different lives. Anyway here it is, for what it's worth.

Per month costs in ringgits.

Elec, gas, water RM 90
Condo service RM 282
Food, petrol RM 1720
Phone and internet RM 135
Clothes, hairdressers RM 70
TV (Astro) RM 55
Medical insurance RM 450
Miscellaneous RM 47
Condo insurance (presumably contents) RM 31
2 vehicles (insurance, tax, etc) RM 180
GRAND TOTAL: RM 3060

If you like a drink or two, booze can be a bit expensive - though not as expensive as Singapore. I've not a clue how this compares with HK. Maybe someone else can advise.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Thats excellent data my friend. Would be extremely keen on that link if you can PM to me.

Many thanks & lets keep in touch,

Harry

Hi Harry. There was a guy on another forum who put his breakdown of living costs in Penang, retired expat couple with smallish condo unit. I jotted them down for my reference (as we'll be moving there) and I'll put below. If I can find the link, I'll send it to you by PM. Always difficult to work out as we all lead different lives. Anyway here it is, for what it's worth.

Elec, gas, water RM 90
Condo service RM 282
Food, petrol RM 1720
TV (Astro) RM 55
Medical insurance RM 450
Miscellaneous RM 47

If you like a drink or two, booze can be a bit expensive - though not as expensive as Singapore. I've not a clue how this compares with HK. Maybe someone else can advise.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:20 am

I'll check it out this afternoon. BTW I'll ask Sue if she'll move this thread to the **new** Malaysia sub-forum - wow
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Just wondering if I could push my luck by raising 2 more issues:

1. Any advice on joining private recreation clubs in Penang - any good ones & how much ?

2. Any guidance on what a maid might cost say 2 half days a week (plus any related risks/hassles) ?

Many thanks,

Harry

Elec, gas, water RM 90
Condo service RM 282
Food, petrol RM 1720
TV (Astro) RM 55
Medical insurance RM 450
Miscellaneous RM 47

Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:31 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Harry100
Just wondering if I could push my luck by raising 2 more issues:

1. Any advice on joining private recreation clubs in Penang - any good ones & how much ?

2. Any guidance on what a maid might cost say 2 half days a week (plus any related risks/hassles) ?

Many thanks,

Harry
malaysia is a third world country. the only city that i would only live in is Kuala Lumpur.

i dont know how you will find a decent job in penang. though it is considered one of their best cities, it is not a nice place to find employment in.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:56 am
Just Joined

I am not seeking a job nor am I seeking to live in KL.

Thanks anyway for response - was beginning to think this forum was a bit like "Raising Ned Devine" !!!!!!

Originally Posted by wowoweee
malaysia is a third world country. the only city that i would only live in is Kuala Lumpur.

i dont know how you will find a decent job in penang. though it is considered one of their best cities, it is not a nice place to find employment in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.