Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Concerns with retiring in Malaysia

Concerns with retiring in Malaysia

Old Jul 8th 2014, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Aus4Asia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Concerns with retiring in Malaysia

We are considering retiring in Malaysia (or Thailand) but I guess our biggest concern with Malaysia is that it is a Muslim governed country. My fear is based purely on world news of Muslim actions so I do apologies for my ignorance. I have nothing against Muslim people but I don't want to live under strict Muslim government laws.
Can one live as a 'Westerner' in Malaysia without the government enforcing Muslim laws on you? Naturally we will respect Muslim culture and the countries laws. Is practising Christianity illegal in Malaysia?

Please don't take my concerns out of context. We are accepting of all people, we do not want to enforce our Western ways on Malaysia we just want to retire in comfort and peace.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Concerns with retiring in Malaysia

Originally Posted by Aus4Asia
We are considering retiring in Malaysia (or Thailand) but I guess our biggest concern with Malaysia is that it is a Muslim governed country. My fear is based purely on world news of Muslim actions so I do apologies for my ignorance. I have nothing against Muslim people but I don't want to live under strict Muslim government laws.
Can one live as a 'Westerner' in Malaysia without the government enforcing Muslim laws on you? Naturally we will respect Muslim culture and the countries laws. Is practising Christianity illegal in Malaysia?

Please don't take my concerns out of context. We are accepting of all people, we do not want to enforce our Western ways on Malaysia we just want to retire in comfort and peace.
The Government, and also the Opposition in Malaysia are, and always have been, a coalition of parties across a broad spectrum of views. Admittedly there are a few parties where the membership, and the views held, are predominantly Muslim.

There are many religions practised in Malaysia, Islam (obviously), but also Buddhism, Christianity and others. There are the odd instances where religion is a factor - probably the one causing most umbrage is the use of the word Allah (meaning God) in certain Christian Bibles - this is constantly being battled through the courts.

Syaria Law does exist, but currently, it has jurisdiction mainly on family matters and in particular, conversion to Islam. There is also Civil and Criminal Law, which is predoominantly based on English Law.

Under the Law in Malaysia, ALL newborn inidgenous Malaysians are considered to be Muslim. Islam though also states that it recognises that anyone is free to decide which religion to follow. The complete contradiction to that freedom however, is that Islam does not allow anyone to change religion. That is regarded as Apostacy.
There is one state (I forget which one, but is in the North) which is trying to bring in full Syariah Law and there have been a number of debates about it, but, as far as I know, no definite decision made yet.

To answer your question therefore, at this time there is no reason for a Westerner not to be able to live happily in Malaysia and to practise Christianity. I doubt though that you would have the opportunity to enforce your Western views on Malaysia and if you did try, you would probably be arrested!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Aus4Asia, to ask that type of question suggests you haven't visited Malaysia at all????

There'll be plenty of answers to your question but you need to answer it yourself for such a big decision.

I'm sure you intend visiting Malaysia and Thailand before making a decision so that should sort it out in your mind.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 8:01 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aus4Asia,

Some areas of Malaysia are very multi-cultural.
In general you are made very welcome as a westerner, and I doubt you will have any problems in this regard.
On Penang Island for example, there are at least 40 churches.
See: Penang Churches & Cathedrals

JC3
Old Jul 8th 2014, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

my friends in Kl would often tell me that they are in the most unislamic islamic country in the world. I agree with them. Pubs clubs bar abound and are busy as well as legal, alcohol can be eye wateringly expensive but it is freely available etc. Suggest you go and visit to get a really good idea of the reality. Most of south east asia is pretty much laid back when coming to religious views and practice, Churches, temples mosques and synagogue can be found almost side by side in many places. Not a hot bed of fundamentalism.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 9:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Aus4Asia, Hi and welcome to the forum

I think you will probably have got the answers you need from posters above, but you can have a read of an article I wrote for BE a few years back here:
Life in Penang, Malaysia – First Year | British Expatriate Community

I've now been here almost 4 years. Is it perfect? No. Will I stay here? Who knows. It's certainly not a bad place to retire to. I also spent two and a half years retired in Phuket Thailand.... lovely food and beaches, but not for me long term. As always, horses for courses etc etc

Do come and visit Malaysia and see for yourself. You may hate it, or you may love it. You will certain find plenty of other Aussies here. Penang has a lot of churches (as well as temples, mosques). I think that Sarawak and maybe Sabah also has a sizeable Christian community - others may be able to confirm.

Happy planning
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Aus4Asia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your responses. I now even more look forward to spending time in Malaysia to experience it all for myself.

Bakedbean I read your post but one of the responses by Don is concerning:
"Actually Islam runs the government and oppress the other faiths and the non Malays are regarded as foreigners. You obviously know little about Malaysia. Trouble is brewing so keep your passports handy incase you have to leave in a hurry. "

I guess everyone has their own opinion.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 12:54 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am sure this Don is an expert obviously.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your responses. I now even more look forward to spending time in Malaysia to experience it all for myself.

Bakedbean I read your post but one of the responses by Don is concerning:
"Actually Islam runs the government and oppress the other faiths and the non Malays are regarded as foreigners. You obviously know little about Malaysia. Trouble is brewing so keep your passports handy incase you have to leave in a hurry. "

I guess everyone has their own opinion.
Follow the money as it rarely goes where its not welcome!! Malaysia has some of the higher FDI in Asia. Many confuse the Bumi policy with religious intolerance. I personally prefer Malaysia over anywhere else in SE Asia.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

I took the mm2h plunge just over eighteen months ago .

For a year,or more, have got to admit I was far from happy here.Now wife and I live in a really nice new home that would cost 5-6 times what we paid back in Blighty. We are in Sungai Petani,less than hour from Penang. Almost every day we wake up to blue skies. Can buy 95% of things that can get in UK, and lots of stuff unavailable there.We find 3 or 4 holidays a year affordable.sometimes struggled with one in UK. Although I get stared at quite a bit here(they simply curious,i'm bit of a novelty is all) ,its okay.

Find the locals, especially the Muslim people (sorry Chinese and Indians !) very,very hospitable and friendly.Just about everything costs so much less than in England ;goods and services. Had a week in Bangkok recently and discovered M'sia is so much cheaper than there too. I can easily view British tv programmes with modern technology and 4G internet, and chat to friends/relatives for free .

Who knows..we might return to rainy England one day.but the longer i'm here, the less likely that seems.

Kenny
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:05 pm

Wow...great ad for sungai Petani. Glad you're settling in there now, Kenny.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:33 pm
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Penang, Malaysia on-and-off now for a few years and never been bothered by some notional idea of the "...Government enforcing Muslim laws..." on me or anyone else.

The locals (Malay, Indian and Chinese) are a lot more socially conservative than the West, but I've never had anyone attempt to inflict their views upon me, never mind the government.

If I want to sit in a street bar and get utterly lashed, I can do that as long as I have some means of getting home. Try that in Saudi Arabia and see what happens.

Equally, what I do in the privacy of my own apartment is my own affair.

Yes, Malaysia has a majority Muslim population, but they don't abide by Sharia laws as you get in Saudi and other such places, which is the difference.

Try Malaysia out, I love the place - just have to earn my money elsewhere... :-(
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:14 am

Ditto.... though of course I don't get utterly lashed in street bars
Old Jul 26th 2014, 5:05 am
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ditto.... though of course I don't get utterly lashed in street bars
What kind of bloke doesn't occasionally get lashed in street bars?

Your not....a girl...?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:43 pm

Can one live as a 'Westerner' in Malaysia without the government enforcing Muslim laws on you?
To summarise, answer is Yes. And in Penang the state government is opposition party DAP with a (Malaysian) Chinese governor.

So, Aus4Asia, what's your plan? Are you going to check out Malaysia and Thailand?