Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Car documents while on the road

Car documents while on the road

Old Mar 8th 2016, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car documents while on the road

This may be a silly question, but I was wondering what car documents I need to carry with me while travelling?
When you become the owner of a car you get one document from JPJ. If you buy a new car this document shows your name, address, plus technical details of the car. When you buy a used car they use that original document to indicate on the reverse side that you are now the owner. I don't think that I should keep this document always in the glove compartment of the car, but rather at some safe location at home.
This question is of course not related to the driver’s license.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:09 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car documents while on the road

I could suggest that the only documents you really need would be a couple of 20 ringitt notes but that would be against site rule #2 so an alternative might be photocopies though keeping anything with your address on in the car is unwise (as is programming your home address on your GPS).
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:18 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
This may be a silly question, but I was wondering what car documents I need to carry with me while travelling?
Hi SushiFan,

Other than a valid Road Tax Disc, I believe the only essential documents to carry are your ID/Passport and your Driving Licence. But if you don't carry your Insurance Certificate and have a prang involving the police, then a trip to the police station with it will probably be required.

I suggest you don’t keep the original Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) in the car.

The things I keep in the car are:

1. A photocopy of the Vehicle Registration Certificate
2. The Insurance Certificate (showing who is entitled to drive).
3. A Malaysia Road Accident Checklist, that I found here: Lawyerment - Document Library - Accident Law - Road Accident
4. A Minor Accident Settlement Form (two copies, i.e. one for each driver) that I have adapted from one I found here:
http://www.motorinsurancesingapore.c...ettlement.pdf5.

5. Pen & Paper

When out and about I carry in my wallet:

6. A photocopy of my passport
7. My driving licence

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Mar 9th 2016 at 5:49 am.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Camera phone.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 9:04 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I could suggest that the only documents you really need would be a couple of 20 ringitt notes but that would be against site rule #2 so an alternative might be photocopies though keeping anything with your address on in the car is unwise (as is programming your home address on your GPS).
Generally police advice about not keeping your home address in the car is about a thief stealing your car/home keys, finding your address in the car, and then letting himself into your home.

It's wise advice I guess, but how far does one go with this?
  • A Malaysian Driving Licence carries your home address.
  • A stray envelope carries your home address....
  • Your Service Booklet usually carries your home address.
Many (perhaps most) women keep their purse containing their driving licence (showing their address) and their car / house keys in their handbag. And men probably keep their wallet, driving licence, and keys together in a sports bag when in the gym etc.

As to the RM20 notes, it might be an idea to hide RM300+ somewhere in the car. You may want some ready cash to settle a minor accident (see above), thereby avoiding the need to make a Police Report etc. Or indeed for another purpose...

JC3
Old Mar 9th 2016, 9:09 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by ex reg
Camera phone.
Is that a document?

Jump leads, tow rope...

JC3
Old Mar 9th 2016, 10:06 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
Is that a document?

Jump leads, tow rope...

JC3
Getting back to documents, a copy of the Quran could be useful (personally signed by the author, of course).
Old Mar 9th 2016, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

JC3, as usual a very extensive and useful reply from you. Thank you very much!

On a side note: the car and the insurance are in my name. I am now trying to figure out whether the insurance also covers accidents if my wife is driving. Thus far no luck: the company doesn't seem to know neither me nor my car. Maybe their computer systems need a few more weeks to synchronize all their data?
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:14 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Normally the car insurance in Malaysia covers all drivers. It's certainly the case for my car insurance with Zurich and it's in the standard terms not a special clause.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Drivers are covered but not passengers, need to add that clause. When I was insured under AIA it wasnt clear. But now insured under Allianz and it's in the Clause. Im straying off topic abit .....

Have your insurance agent HP Number in your contact list. Call him/her if there is an accident esp when car needs to be towed and exactly what to do if you can drive it.

I had an accident on Greenlane Road in Penang. Immediately these guys with bright green or yellow sleeveless vest on motorbikes appeared out of no where and they'll tell you they'll help you and take your car and deal with police. Dont leave your car keys in car, keep it safe with you. Call your insurance agent right away. Get the ID, DL , Road tax pic and HP No infos of the other party (I took photos with HP, saved me writing)
Police don't always show up and if damages not too bad you drive to report at police station (on Penang island at least on the north side of island, only to the headquarter at Dato Kramat Rd)! Take pictures of your car and the other person's, the damages, positions etc take pic of the surrounding, which lanes the cars are in etc as you need to write the location and describe how the accident happened in the police report. The officer at the police station will draw it on the report paper. That's from my car accident experience. Other cars will keep honking you and nosey burgers will crowd around plus men in sleeveless vests pestering you to help you! Dont move car until you got all the pics taken then move to a safe spot so traffic flow resume...hahaha yes quite a scene, the traffic police on his big bike came around and shouted that I move my car away to the side fast. It can be very intimidating esp if you are by yourself and have all the infos to collect.
You report the whole incident typing out on the police computer (all in UPPER CASE). The reporting officer at the stn for your case will give you his hp number to follow up but I find the guy not really helpful and didnt return my messages. I had to go back a few times to find out if the other party had also reported, then I have to buy mine and the other party' police reports etc. The car repair place needs the 2 reports and the police report that is the last one to get.
If you can drive it to the police stn, a guy there will make note of damages on your car, otherwise your agent will contact the towing truck to tow it to repair shop eg Toyota etc where they'll contact the guy at police stn.

Last edited by columbine; Mar 10th 2016 at 3:56 am.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for sharing your experience Columbine.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:15 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Thank you for sharing your experience Columbine.
Yes, thanks from me too. Useful to know.

JC3
Old Mar 11th 2016, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome;-) Might be different in other States.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you columbine for this useful information. Hopefully nobody was injured in the accident to which you referred.

One thing drivers in the UK are told is to never admit fault or in any way accept liability for the accident. This is to avoid prejudicing subsequent insurance claims or potential legal action.

Does anyone know if the same approach should be taken in Malaysia? In other words, both at the scene of the accident and in the police station, stick only to the facts and leave attribution of blame to the insurance companies.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks teejaydee, very fortunate no one was injured.

This might give you a clue to your question.
A young girl hit my car as she changed from the outer lane to the middle lane where I was. I saw her coming up fast from outer to inner lane in my back view mirror so I knew what was happening, but I couldn't avoid as there's another car in front and on both sides.
She admitted she was wrong and apologised. I thought that's good she admitted she was wrong. She didn't report to police station right away. I did and in English and I wrote on mine she apologised and said she was wrong. Well, a week later I bought her police report, it was in Bahasa. In her report she said otherwise, that I braked suddenly in front of her car and that's how she rear ended mine!
Then it's waiting for the police report for the next 2 weeks.
Garage could not start repairs until they received that.
I went to police stn every few days to see if the report was out. It was in Bahasa too. I went to the inner office hoping to catch the officer who dealt with my case as he wasn't answering my calls or returning messages. Luckily he was there and said he's been busy. Anyways, he said that other driver was in the wrong. Very relieved I went out paid for the report and took it to garage so they can deal with ins company.

I'm not sure if it's by her admission that I documented it in my report or her bad driving history that she was considered to be in the wrong.
(The police told me she had a few car accidents prior to this).
My local neighbors told me most likely she's wrong as she hit my car from the back).
Still no wiser here ;-)

Last edited by columbine; Mar 11th 2016 at 10:14 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.