Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Bugs - What to Expect in Highrise

Bugs - What to Expect in Highrise

Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:07 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bugs - What to Expect in Highrise

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas

Ground floor apartment near KL in 2010?!?
If you had read on a bit, you would have found it wasn't only the ground floor unit. Quote:
"I've heard of apartments on the 23rd or 30th floor being attacked by termites who climb up via the building riser."

JC3
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
These are nasty. I've heard of a few friends in Batu Ferringhi being "attacked" by them. They seem to be more common in the jungley areas. I remember a member from the old forum and wife (now ex) who were living in Bayu Ferringhi at the time (let's rubbish another condo eh ) and they looked a real mess like they had severe measles.... very nasty.
My wife suffered from one of those beetles. We assume that it got her when she visited a condo in Batu Ferringhi. It took more than ten days to recover and was very painful, irritating to the skin and unpleasant to the eye during the healing process.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 5:28 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
What you said:
OK, I'll wave the white flag on ONE condition....YOU find a condo ...

That's ONE Condo, IVV.

Termites are infesting Straits View Condominium at Permas Jaya and our neighbours at Taman Rinting and Megah Ria. Country Towers is not spared as 6 units were affected and the management is tackling the problem now.

That's at least TWO condos infested by termites in just one example - The Country Towers AND Straits View Condominium.

I hereby graciously accept your surrender.

Please don't move the goalposts!

JC3
What I said was "YOU find a condo or someone who has a condo...." but NOT MR GOOGLE FINDS A CONDO FOR YOU.....?!?

The Internet as everyone knows, is a source of completely unreliable information, which is why forums such as BE provide such a useful service, but NOT if we just serve up what what MR GOOGLE gives us. Let's try harder to populate our answers with REAL information and not just GOOGLE crap!
Old Apr 28th 2016, 11:39 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Internet as everyone knows, is a source of completely unreliable information, which is why forums such as BE provide such a useful service, but NOT if we just serve up what what MR GOOGLE gives us. Let's try harder to populate our answers with REAL information and not just GOOGLE crap!
I've spoken to lots of people at Marina Bay and no one has ever heard of this, which is not surprising when you consider:-

Termites are found in dark, damp areas whereby they are not exposed to air. They require a source of moisture to survive. In temperate regions, they are found in dead tree stumps, dead logs, and in the soil. They are also found in dry wood structures where the termite nest has been established in the soil.

It's an urban myth.
You are clutching at straws….

I just looked at your post No.17 again (see above):

From where did those words come? I wondered. Ah yes, GOOGLE!

Directly copied word for word from the internet, they can also be found here:
BioKIDS - Kids' Inquiry of Diverse Species, Isoptera: INFORMATION

What kind of habitat do they need?
Termites are found in dark, damp areas whereby they are not exposed to air. They require a source of moisture to survive. In temperate regions, they are found in dead tree stumps, dead logs, and in the soil. They are also found in dry wood structures where the termite nest has been established in the soil.

Having found not just one, but several examples of condos infested with termites, I shan't bother to ALSO look for "someone who has a condo or someone who has had a condo or someone who knows someone who had or has had a condo, WITH a termite infestion" as I suspect you will claim it's hearsay, or the condo is somewhere other than Tanjung Bungah, or the owner doesn't have a dog (that must be black and a Labrador), or is over 60, or under 55...or that because the infestation was not in the year you had in mind, it doesn't count!

JC3
Attached Thumbnails Bugs - What to Expect in Highrise-clutching-straws.jpg  

Last edited by JC3; Apr 29th 2016 at 12:18 am.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 3:09 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

An Appeal to all BE'ers

If you have direct knowledge of a high-rise apartment in Malaysia being infected by termites please pass the information along to JC3 as he desperately needs to dig himself out of a hole.

Thank you
Old Apr 29th 2016, 4:26 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Davita
That's useful information...logically, by killing termites, we are making the earth lighter thus it is floating closer to the sun...QED....Global Warming.
It's Rentokil's fault...
That's an interesting hypothesis Davita. But I thought termite farts were the cause of global warming.

JC3
Attached Thumbnails Bugs - What to Expect in Highrise-global-warming.jpg  
Old Apr 29th 2016, 4:39 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

If you have direct knowledge of a high-rise apartment in Malaysia being infected by termites please pass the information along to JC3 as he desperately needs to dig himself out of a hole.

Thank you
Ha ha! No holes in my argument.
But let’s look at some of your assertions again IVV:

Post 9: (termite infestation..in condos..) “…is an urban myth”.
Wrong. Talking through your hat.

Post 11: I'm sure they sometimes find there way into an apartment but that's always because infested furniture was moved in.
Wrong again. Talking out of the back of your head.

Post 26: .."one swallow does not a summer make" or in other words one tale by one person in one apartment block but which is quoted ten times "does not a termite infestation make"
Maybe. Maybe not. However, as I have shown, several tales by several people in several condos certainly does. Time to “swallow” your pride IVV!

Post 30: …termites can't live for long in a high rise unless they have taken to eating concrete, there is just not enough wood.
Wrong again. A Himalayan blunder!

Post 38: Because condos don't have termite infestations
Wrong yet again.

You’ve made a dog’s dinner of this one IVV.
But don’t worry, every dog has its day!

JC3

PS. If buying a condo in Malaysia watch out for words like “yummy” and “tasteful” in the description, rather than it mentioning termites specifically.

Last edited by JC3; Apr 29th 2016 at 5:14 am.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
That's an interesting hypothesis Davita. But I thought termite farts were the cause of global warming.

JC3
Where were you when I needed you...
I lived in Arizona for 8 years and termites are an issue...nearly every house has them.
My wife has a very sensitive nose and I know she thinks I'd sometimes farted but was sweet enough to not say anything...and therefore I couldn't respond.

Now I know it was the termites....

Cannot wait for her to get home later and inform her of this incredible, scientific information....termites fart...gotta google for that....
Old Apr 29th 2016, 8:53 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Now I know it was the termites....

Cannot wait for her to get home later and inform her of this incredible, scientific information....termites fart...gotta google for that....
Good idea to gen up on it first to convince Mrs Davita.
Termites fart more than any other animal in the world. Yes really. It's probably the high fibre diet.
http://unrealfacts.com/termites-fart-animal/

JC3
Attached Thumbnails Bugs - What to Expect in Highrise-you.jpg  

Last edited by JC3; Apr 29th 2016 at 9:07 am.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 9:12 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 29th 2016, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Due to my recent surgery I'm on a high-fibre diet and do have flatulence...a lot!
Fortunately it doesn't make any noise nor smells...

mrs davita is toying whether to have my nose or ears fixed first...
Old Apr 29th 2016, 12:17 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Due to my recent surgery I...do have flatulence...a lot!....doesn't make any noise nor smells...
Who is Flatulence? She sounds perfect!
She's not Florence's twin sister by any chance?

JC3

"Time for bed Florence", said Zebedee.
"Already?" said Florence
"It is nearly time for the news, and there has been enough magic for one day" replied Zebedee.

Last edited by JC3; Apr 29th 2016 at 12:34 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JC3
Who is Flatulence? She sounds perfect!
She's not Florence's twin sister by any chance?

"Time for bed Florence", said Dougal.

JC3
Methinks you need to eat a dictionary...

First you'll learn the meaning of flatulence and second, due to eating paper, you'll suffer from it....
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:05 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Methinks you need to eat a dictionary...

First you'll learn the meaning of flatulence and second, due to eating paper, you'll suffer from it....
Well, my first few chews got me as far as anaphrodisiac on p.47 (not a good start!) , I’ve munched through amah, amatol, anchovy, and anti-perspirant (p.57), chomped past asylum (p.65), was encouraged by attaboy (p.83) but then choked on ball-buster (p.101).
I’m afraid I cheated a bit and fast-forwarded to Flatulence.
Bollocks! What the hell is an alimentary canal?
I would look it up, but now I’ve eaten all the ‘A’s.

JC3

On the other hand perhaps I don't want to know, eh?
Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by JC3; Apr 29th 2016 at 1:18 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JC3
Well, my first few chews got me as far as anaphrodisiac on p.47 (not a good start!) , I’ve munched through amah, amatol, anchovy, and anti-perspirant (p.57), chomped past asylum (p.65), was encouraged by attaboy (p.83) but then choked on ball-buster (p.101).
I’m afraid I cheated a bit and fast-forwarded to Flatulence.
Bollocks! What the hell is an alimentary canal?
I would look it up, but now I’ve eaten all the ‘A’s.

JC3

On the other hand perhaps I don't want to know, eh?
Ignorance is bliss
I hear ya....'literally' all the way down here in Bali.....but maybe BB can confirm about the odor in Penang as she might be thinking the haze has returned early....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.