Broadband connection

Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

movin2malaysia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broadband connection

Can someone please give me an idea how long it would take to get an internet connection after we move into a new appartment ?
It is important as I may be doing work at home and would otherwise have to take a holiday.

Regards.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:29 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband connection

Probably a couple of weeks. You can always use wireless broadband in the interim. Take a look at the Maxis website.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

TravellingKate is an unknown quantity at this point

We signed up with Maxis and it took just under 3 weeks (fibre optic). I work from home too, so I used a Maxis dongle (expensive) and lived in Starbucks (free!) during that time. They were even giving me staff discount in the end.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Kate.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Going through the internet phase too! We opted for Maxis due to their fibre optic service. On promotion at the moment for RM148 for a 10mbps service which includes the wireless router, unlimited monthly usage (fair usage policy), DECT cordless phone, free installation and some free international minutes as well as local calls. If you get a Maxis mobile phone contract, you pay RM138 instead.

It's a two year contract and you need to pay RM500 security deposit. It takes approx. three weeks to setup. We signed up on 11th October and installation date is 31st October.

Other options were P1, which give you a box pretty much straight away and can start using as it uses network I think. You can also get a dongle with that deal that allows you to use the same service anywhere!

Regards
Abdul
Old Oct 18th 2012, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi abdulawwal, seems like you are having a good move so far! i'm glad you mentioned that you are getting Maxis Fibre Internet installed in your new home. I visited the Maxis partner branch at Plaza Pelangi today. I was interested in getting the Fibre Internet set-up for the home, having read up about it on the Maxis website. The sales assistant was helpful, she mentioned all the relevant price points with regard to fibre internet, but I was quite surprised when she advised me not to go for the Fibre internet! She said that if I opted for Fibre Internet I could sign up right then and there and not have to pay anything yet, but she said installation would only be done anywhere within 2-4 weeks from the date I signed up. I was okay with that, but what she said next surprised me: "It's not even sure that they will come to your house to install." She advised me to buy the portable wifi modem instead. It would be activated right away, and could be used anywhere inside and outside the house. But the speed was only 7mbps as opposed to fibre internet's 10mbps. The activation fee is RM100, the advance payment is RM98, and a monthly fee of RM98 would have to be paid. Since I have a Malaysia direct debit card, I wouldn't have to pay the RM400 deposit...All told, I think I will go to another Maxis branch (and not a partner branch) and listen to their sales pitch one more time. Do let us know in due course if a) the Maxis crew does come over to your house to install on 31st October as they said they would; and b) if the speed and accessibility of their fibre internet is all good! Many thanks.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Hi Froggy - I got the same thing but I'd already read up on it so I just kept saying 'no, the unlimited downloads and fibre optic!' over and over! There's obviously some sweetener in it for them to NOT sell us the fibre optic. We are heavy internet users, we need unlimited downloads, and fibre optic was the only option. Installation was fine. They arrived when they said they would. Took five hours to install, however, and I had a team of five guys sitting around in my bedroom doing nothing while one guy worked, but that's how it goes here! Anyway, it works like a dream, no complaints at all.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

I think I will have to have the wifi modem till we get the fibre optic broadband installed ? I cannot wait 2/3 weeks.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi TravellingKate! Great to hear from you, thanks for sharing your experience, I feel a bit better about signing up with Maxis at some stage soon. I agree, I think the partner branches are told to push a certain product in the hope that we will walk away with a dongle or two. Husband works from home so we definitely need fast and uninterrupted service... not fun watching the husband turn into the Incredible Hulk when the broadband connection cuts out! We are moving to JB before the year is up so I hope to schedule the installation within the first week of our move.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:41 am
Just Joined

You could always buy the modem as well and use it while you wait. I bought a dongle, and while that itself is cheap, and the cost of buying the passes is ok (not that great), I just tore through the downloads. So I was getting through the MB for a 7 day pass in 2 days!! Ended up in Starbucks about 8 hours a day.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Just an update...was at Maxis at Danga Bay this morning, signed up for 10mbps Fibre Internet for the home, coughed up the RM500 refundable deposit as am non-Malaysian. Sales Associate very thorough with explanations, yes they can hook up fibre internet, it's in my part of the 'hood but it could take (insert drum roll here) 2 months before the installer comes to my home! She says there is only one installer in JB, as opposed to KL. Just had to laugh...might have to buy that dongle after all, dagnabbit.

A shout out to anyone in the Nusajaya 'hood: How long did it take for internet to be installed in your home? And where did you sign up for it?

Anyhoo, she said for me to follow up with her in 2 weeks regarding my request for a sooner and more definite installation date, which I will most certainly do as I live across the street from the Maxis Centre, she will see me more often and take pity maybe...time to turn on the charm! Malaysia boleh!
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

@Froggybarnacle2000 - Lol! I've had a couple of calls from Maxis confirming whether I'm still OK with the 31st October as installation date. They seem eager!

Also, a friend of a friend works for Maxis and advised that if you call them up, begging for an earlier installation date, and you don't mind a weekday, they can sometimes squeeze you in. As I only have few days left anyhow, I haven't bothered. But you could try...?

Will let you know how it goes...

Regards
Abdul
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,

Well, Maxis turned up on time at 9.30am and started work. They were all done by 11.30am! Working fine and everything in order. Speed seems reasonable but slower than what I'm used to in the uk.

What's a good way of testing? When I asked the installers, they said I was getting around the 9.7 mark. Would be good to check myself somehow.

Regards
Abdul
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi Abdul, did they give you a booklet? Testing instructions in there.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:31 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Speedtest.net

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.