Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

British passport for daughter

British passport for daughter

Old Jul 5th 2016, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

lacmac69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British passport for daughter

I am going back to UK soon to see my family. I'll be taking my Malaysian wife and our 2yr old daughter.
I would like to get a British passport for my daughter. She has a British birth cert, got it a the British embassy in KL.

Does anyone know the procedures to obtain a British passport?
Old Jul 6th 2016, 4:05 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport for daughter

You might want to take a look in the Moving Back to the UK section as there is a Passport section there. (If you don't get a response in here.)
You can follow this link:
Moving back to the UK - British Expats
Old Jul 6th 2016, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks bakedbean,unfortunately I didn't see anything with regards to my daughters passport.

am just going back to UK for a holiday. But thought I may as well get her a British passport before there are any changes.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 6:51 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacmac69
I am going back to UK soon to see my family. I'll be taking my Malaysian wife and our 2yr old daughter.
I would like to get a British passport for my daughter. She has a British birth cert, got it a the British embassy in KL.

Hi lacmac69,

There’s more to this than first meets the eye in terms of dual nationality. It’s worth reading the following thread from beginning to end which explains what’s what:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/malay...laysia-871386/

As to the procedure for a child passport, see here:

www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport

JC3
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacmac69

You need to start the application process online.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

If your daughter has a British consular birth certificate then that will make things easier.

Be careful about dual nationality as Malaysia frowns upon it. You may wish instead to opt for a Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode in your daughter's Malaysian passport. She will not be able to get this once she obtains a British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/overview
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys, I already have a British birth certificate from the embassy in KL.

I went through the online application but I didn't see a section for the passport photo. In the end it took me to the payment page.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You need to start the application process online.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

If your daughter has a British consular birth certificate then that will make things easier.

Be careful about dual nationality as Malaysia frowns upon it. You may wish instead to opt for a Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode in your daughter's Malaysian passport. She will not be able to get this once she obtains a British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/overview

Do I understand correctly that a "Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode" holder is a person who has British citizenship but not a British passport?
Old Jul 6th 2016, 9:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inggris
Do I understand correctly that a "Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode" holder is a person who has British citizenship but not a British passport?
All British citizens have Right of Abode in the UK but not all of those who have Right of Abode are British citizens.