Moving to KL... Long list of questions

Moving to KL... Long list of questions

Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:08 am
Just Joined

nk88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to KL... Long list of questions

Hi all.

So we have decided to move to KL in September
My husband is a tefl teacher, I had quite a few questions in relation to the move, hope you all can help me.

We will be going out on a tourist visa to start with, with the hope to have it changed to a work permit

1) we've heard from many and have also experienced ourselves, that tefl jobs are few and far between advertised on the Internet.. Will it be better to get out there, then search for a
Job?

2) I run an online business here in the UK, isit possible for me to expand and work from Malaysia, will it enable me to get the relevant work visa? I'm hearing and seeing a lot about a Labuan company, but when I start reading, I get brain fog and end up totally confused!

3) what areas would you recommend to live, what would the approx monthly rental rate be for a 3bed house in a township and the utility bills? Any one here live in Shah Alam, Cyberjaya or putra jaya?

4) Is anyone here doing a visa run?

5) has anyone here set up a Labuan company? If so what was involved?

I think that's all for now, might add more later
🙈

Thanks in advance

Last edited by nk88; Mar 21st 2017 at 11:10 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to KL... Long list of questions

Originally Posted by nk88
2) I run an online business here in the UK, is it possible for me to expand and work from Malaysia, will it enable me to get the relevant work visa? I'm hearing and seeing a lot about a Labuan company, but when I start reading, I get brain fog and end up totally confused!

Thanks in advance
You can get a work visa from setting up a Labuan company, but it will cost you a bit. You need to have (equivalent of) RM250,000 paid up capital, you need to have a home and office in Labuan. You can have another home outside of Labuan where you actually live.

I have a recently started a Labuan company, but not for work visa (so no Labuan home or 250K paid up capital). It is quite complicated and time consuming, it took 2 months (before starting with the bank account opening).
Old Mar 25th 2017, 10:19 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

My husband is a tefl teacher, I had quite a few questions in relation to the move, hope you all can help me.

We will be going out on a tourist visa to start with, with the hope to have it changed to a work permit

1) we've heard from many and have also experienced ourselves, that tefl jobs are few and far between advertised on the Internet.. Will it be better to get out there, then search for a
Job?

Yes, but... there aren't many tefl jobs, and the British council are training locals tefl

2) I run an online business here in the UK, isit possible for me to expand and work from Malaysia, will it enable me to get the relevant work visa? I'm hearing and seeing a lot about a Labuan company, but when I start reading, I get brain fog and end up totally confused!

No. In fact it is illegal to work in Malaysia, even if doing an online business without a work permit nor a tax number.

No idea about Labuan, as I work here under a company sponsored visa

3) what areas would you recommend to live, what would the approx monthly rental rate be for a 3bed house in a township and the utility bills? Any one here live in Shah Alam, Cyberjaya or putra jaya?

I'm in east Malaysia so can't advise on locations. But be aware that as a foreigner most landlords want to see a resident permit to make sure you are not going to run away

No. But.... immigration aren't stupid.

🙈

Thanks in advance
If you do come over you will need to have a good supply of cash to tide you over until you find work.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

Hi all.

Job?

🙈

Thanks in advance
Did you end up starting a Labuan company?