Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Bringing food into Malaysia

Bringing food into Malaysia

Old Oct 8th 2011, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice
Default Bringing food into Malaysia

Hubby & I are going back to England for Christmas (yes I know, it's gonna be VERY cold but I have my coat, gloves & scarf at the ready!) and wondered if we can bring some food items back in our suitcases - things like Special K with red berries (I sooo miss that) and bisto beef gravy (although I have discovered Carrefour in 1st Avenue stock proper bisto gravy granules (not the horrible powder) but only onion or chicken, not beef).

We have some stuff coming out via Pickfords which we've had in storage as our move here has been confirmed as longer than we first thought. I asked Pickfords if they could go to my parents house and collect some other items which they agreed to so I quickly got on Amazon and ordered a lot of things I've wanted but can't get here - it was like Christmas come early!

Anyway, I happened to mention to them that my Mum was going to do a little shop in Sainsburys for me but Pickfords told me you cannot bring any type of food into Malaysia.

I have since read in the monthly IWA magazine that some of the ladies picked up various different cheeses from around Europe whilst on their travels so they either sneaked it into their luggage and it didn't get spotted or you are able to bring it in.

Can anyone confirm please?
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing food into Malaysia

I had a look on the Malaysia Immigration website but couldn't find anything. Maybe there's something there somewhere but I cannot find it.

As you say though, clearly some folks transfer foodstuffs in all directions. I certainly know from my time in Singapore, expats used to regularly bring in various foodstuffs from Europe. One old friend used to bring in a Haggis in suitcase I also overheard an Airline captain in Singapore saying that he was going to fill his suitcase with satay sticks to take to UK for some family members living there
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice

Thanks for looking Bakedbean - I also have scoured the net but found nothing.

Ha! Well I'm sure a few pots of Bisto and boxes of Special K will be ok then! Trial and error I think - I'll let you know in January when I'm back!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

I've brought back Canadian chocolates, cheeses, dried fruits, nuts, herbs; and via HK I brought back cookies, mushrooms and some dried herbs. All oked when they went through that x-ray machine and some hand carried ones. I've even showed the customs the packages of cookies in the open bag I was carrying.
I think they are looking out for drugs and contrabands.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent - thank you Columbine.

I just have to find room in my case for it now along with all the summer clothes everyone has bought me for Crimbo!
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:25 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrasey2
things like Special K with red berries (I sooo miss that)
I've got some good news for you, m'luv Get down to Cold Storage in Island Plaza... cereal section... bottom shelf. It's not cheap at RM20something but cheaper than an airfare. At least one pack there this morning.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Well, I was going to pop down there tomorrow after I read your message but couldn't help myself and have just got back! I needed a few other bits anyway. I always to go the Gurney Cold Storage as it's closer for me and I've never seen it in that store.

Found it and although it's not quite the same as back home (it's only strawberries whereas the one I used to get was raspberries and cherries too) I am still very chuffed and am very much looking forward to my breakfast tomorrow!

It's odd the silly little things you miss about home!

Thanks very much Bakedbean!!

Last edited by Scrasey2; Oct 10th 2011 at 8:01 am.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Cpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant future

Shouldn't be an issue, like most places they are just on the look out for fresh stuff that might contaminate the local ecology. Things like seeds and what not, stuff that if you thew it into the jungle might start growing and spread like wildfire then bugger the whole place up. Australia had this problem before with non-native plants out growing native plants and destroying the landscape.

Dried and processed foods don't tend to be an issue, though if you can get a Special K tree to grow please let me know. You might have your gravy granules opened for a drugs check since it's a powder like substance, so be wary. I've brought Waitrose Christmas Pudding and chocolate from Dubai in my case before, again processed food so no issue.

That said, have you tried Cold Storage etc? They tend to carry some of the more odd stuff, even if it is pricey.

Jack