Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Best places to shop for food (ex Tesco thread)

Best places to shop for food (ex Tesco thread)

Old Mar 8th 2016, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best places to shop for food (ex Tesco thread)

Does anyone living in Tanjung Tokong shop at Sam's Groceria in Gurney Paragon? I always find it very good. It's prices are generally cheaper than Cold Storage and the staff are helpful. Like all supermarkets in Malaysia, they seem to struggle with stock control (often items are out of stock), but overall I like it. I also buy a lot of their ready-cooked food, much of which is good quality. They have a smaller supermarket in Strait's Quay.

I find Tesco in Tanjung Tokong to be good for many things, but I have never bought fresh meat or fish from there.

I would never venture inside a wet market. The hygiene levels are too low for my comfort, the smell is nauseating and I am sure they are infested with rats.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tesco

Here's what I've found from shopping in the north and north east parts of Penang.

If you eat a lot of processed and frozen foods and have almost given up on life then Tescos at Tangjung Tokong is your best bet. The piles of rotten veg will keep you amused for hours.

If you eat healthy and want things that look like they were produced in the last 10 years, then Cold Storage is where you should be. Your pay for the privilege of having some of the nicest looking veg and best cuts of meat, but you don't mind as you look so good walking around with all the other cool healthy looking people who still believe there is a future.

If you want to look even cooler and have a wide selection of stuff then go to Sam's Groceria. Pity they never actually have anything you ever want or need. After visiting Sam's at least 10 times now, I've never bought anything. Its great really as you get to look good whilst keeping your wallet full.

The organic shop in Tanjung Bungah food street is very good if your planning on living forever and don't mind cauliflowers that look like broccoli or other veg having an identity crises.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:24 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owned
If you want to look even cooler and have a wide selection of stuff then go to Sam's Groceria. Pity they never actually have anything you ever want or need. After visiting Sam's at least 10 times now, I've never bought anything. Its great really as you get to look good whilst keeping your wallet full.

Hi Owned,

Sam's Groceria don't sell any alcohol or pork.
No beer, no wine, no sausages and no bacon.
Is there any connection between this and your full wallet?

JC3

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Mar 9th 2016 at 5:01 am. Reason: Cocked-up quote!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:50 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Tesco in Tg Tokong has good fruits and veggies but you need to go early in the day (like most places). Same at the wet markets.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

If you cook or bake things try AMIPLUS
I think you can find one in Penang
Butter for example there is between 3 and 4 RM per pack cheaper than any supermarket. Cheese (simple cheddar like Bega) IF you can share of freeze it is about 1/2 the price of supermarkets BUT you do need to be able to deal with a 5kg block
It can be cut into blocks and frozen.
Packs of cooking cream and whipping cream good value also
Naturally as a baker's supplies all types of flour nuts fruit and whatever you need to rustle up cakes.
Well worth a visit anyway

I found this address on Google.

• AMIPLUS SDN BHD • Penang • Pulau Pinang Pulau Mutiara •

https://www.facebook.com/Amiplus-Sdn...0402107311349/
Old Mar 9th 2016, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoolieAbroad
If you cook or bake things try AMIPLUS
I think you can find one in Penang
Butter for example there is between 3 and 4 RM per pack cheaper than any supermarket. Cheese (simple cheddar like Bega) IF you can share of freeze it is about 1/2 the price of supermarkets BUT you do need to be able to deal with a 5kg block
It can be cut into blocks and frozen.
Packs of cooking cream and whipping cream good value also
Naturally as a baker's supplies all types of flour nuts fruit and whatever you need to rustle up cakes.
Well worth a visit anyway

I found this address on Google.

• AMIPLUS SDN BHD • Penang • Pulau Pinang Pulau Mutiara •

https://www.facebook.com/Amiplus-Sdn...0402107311349/
Looks like it's in Malacca.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by columbine
Looks like it's in Malacca.

WHOHOOOOOOOOOOO we have something worth having here in Melaka, finally!!

Mind you there was also an address in Penang..................
Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoolieAbroad
WHOHOOOOOOOOOOO we have something worth having here in Melaka, finally!!

Mind you there was also an address in Penang..................
I looked at their facebook page, the post on Devali has 2 maps and detailed addresses, both Head office and Branch are in Melaka. Dont see an address in Penang.
Lucky folks in Melaka.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
We sometimes go there but hardly ever find anything that we are interested in.
I hadn't realised (until JC3 pointed it out) that Sam's Groceria do not sell haram items. I do not drink alcohol and so whether they sell it or not is of no interest to me.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute

We've popped in Sam's SQ a few times but the way they have the check out is more like a 7-11 they are not expecting people with trolleys, not the usual supermarket exit.

It seems too big for deli & too small for a proper supermarket.

I've stopped buying booze in supermarkets wines shops are much cheaper.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:45 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I would never venture inside a wet market.
I don't go to wet markets often either. But the fish in the wet market is probably fresher than that in the supermarket, as well as considerably cheaper.

I fancy kedgeree this weekend, and went to Teluk Bahang (a fishing village on the north western tip of Penang) this morning to buy whole Red Snapper (ikan merah) to smoke. It cost RM20 a kilo at the wet market. They cleaned it for me too.

At Cold Storage whole Red Snapper costs RM39.90 a kilo and at Sam’s Groceria it's RM44.90 - almost as expensive as their whole salmon - RM49.90.

JC3
Old Mar 15th 2016, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Best places to shop for food (ex Tesco thread)

I've seen quite a number of cars parked along the road just before Infinity condo and people buying fish from a stall there. I think it's opened in the afternoon on weekdays.

Cecil Street fish market, McNair St in Georgetown has lots of fish. Opens around noon. The vendors clean them, bag and put ice in bag on request.

Last edited by columbine; Mar 15th 2016 at 1:10 am.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best places to shop for food (ex Tesco thread)

There are quite a few of those around.
One is located near the floating mosque and another one in Batu Feringhi up the road which ends in a T-juction at the traffic light just before Holiday Inn. They normally open around 3PM.
I found their prices to be quite high, as locals also shop there it was maybe due to my appearance?
Anyway, for me the fish section in Teluk Bahang wet market is the optimal for price and selection. (They do of course also clean and bag, etc)