A Beginner's Guide?

Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

KLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to all
Default A Beginner's Guide?

Hello All,

Firstly, apologies if any, or indeed all, of my questions have previously been answered.

I arrive in KL 05 Jan for 6-7 weeks and then return again at the end of March for 8 weeks or so.

As much as I fully intend to immerse myself in local culture and try to experience all that I'm sure KL has to offer, there are a few questions that I have if that's OK?

So, without further ado:

1) Where can I watch English football in the company of other Brits? I'm guessing Irish/English pubs, as usual, but could anyone point me in the best direction?

2) Are the Marriott and the Shangri La located in areas where I might find such hostelries as mentioned in 1)?

3) What MUST I see/do and where MUST I go?

4) Where MUST I not go under any circumstances (assuming it's like everywhere else I've ever been and there are areas to avoid)?

5) Would it be too much to expect anywhere that one might get a game of snooker?

6) Are there any Expat Clubs that accept temporary Members?

Thanks in advance, really looking forward to this trip
Old Dec 14th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Beginner's Guide?

It's always a jaw dropping moment for me when I see people going to a country but want to be amongst ex pats when they get there.

BTW you'll probably find more Malaysian supporters of the EPL in Malaysia than ex pats.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:31 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi KLPlates and welcome to the forum. I'm not in KL so cannot help you too much. No doubt some others will be along soon. There's load of expats in KL. You'll have no problem finding them. If you're ever up in Penang, give us a shout as we have a snooker room at our condo and I'm sure Mr bakedbean will give you a game.

To EX-Reg, Quite honestly, it's no different to joining an Expat forum, is it? And this is an Expat forum. There's quite a few local forums for those who want to mingle exclusively with Malaysians.

As a retiree in Malaysia, and somewhat permanent until I pop clogs, I mix with whoever I run across. Don't really differentiate. I however fully understand working expats wanting to mix with other Brits or other expats. They may well be on a contract of a year or two (or less) and mixing with other expats can be a good "fast track" to getting the info you want, before moving on to whatever next assignment. Just my opinion.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

KLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ex reg
It's always a jaw dropping moment for me when I see people going to a country but want to be amongst ex pats when they get there.

BTW you'll probably find more Malaysian supporters of the EPL in Malaysia than ex pats.
Is it really? As jaw dropping as this?

"As much as I fully intend to immerse myself in local culture and try to experience all that I'm sure KL has to offer"

I work all over the world, and thoroughly enjoy experiencing everything I can, everywhere I can. However, spending 300 nights average a year away from one's family does mean that there is an occasional need for some 'home comfort', hence my questions. So, leave me alone you big cyber bully. I bet you're a City fan.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for your help, Mrs Bean, it's much appreciated. 'm certainly hoping to get to Penang at some point during my stay. Loving my food as I do, my first thought on securing the Project was mmmm, Penang Curry
Old Dec 15th 2011, 7:24 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KLPlates
So, leave me alone you big cyber bully. I bet you're a City fan.
Yeh you tell him Ex-Reg is alright, just gets a bit grouchy sometimes.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

I too love mixing with expats and locals. Expats are so interesting and diverse in their origins and reasons for coming here, locals are great because they can teach you something about this wonderful host country.

Bars to watch football...yes lots. Where are you staying and i'll try and recommend somewhere reasonably local.
Snooker clubs can be found in KL, again just let us know the area.
Sign up for the expat magazine, it's free and they organise lots of social events...you can go along with out being a member, but membership offers a discount for events.

http://www.theexpatgroup.com/publications.php
Old Dec 15th 2011, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ex-Reg is alright, just gets a bit grouchy sometimes.
I'm having a good day today.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Where MUST I not go under any circumstances (assuming it's like everywhere else I've ever been and there are areas to avoid)?
I too have worked in many places & fully understand this question, however, I have found Malaysia to be one of the safest countries I have visited & I can't think of any areas I would feel unsafe going.

Smile and Malaysia will surely smile with you

Good Luck
Old Dec 15th 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all, even reg ;-) joamelie, I've just confirmed booking at the Marriott. I'll check out the link, ta.

Oh yes, before I forget, adventurous or not, I'll be needing a Sunday morning proper full English so any suggestions welcome

Any chance of a Sunday Mirror? ;-)

Last edited by KLPlates; Dec 15th 2011 at 10:09 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Oh yes, before I forget, adventurous or not, I'll be needing a Sunday morning proper full English so any suggestions welcome

Haha, completely forget that one! Not available...get used to the thought of chicken sausages, and beef bacon...both more disgusting than they sound! Only way you'll get a full English is iff you cook it yourself and even then the sausages don't taste quite right and will empty your bank account!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 5:06 am

Well, not quite. If you take a trip to Penang, I know a nice ol' Chinese guy called Andrew who sells home-made Lincolnshire sausages from his mini-mart and very nice they are too.

English newspapers... just jump on the internet.

Just remembered we did a thread about pubs around KL, didn't we? Take a browse through the forum and you'll probably find it. I'm sure there was a British pub link on there.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Ta, both, I'll take a look around the Forum. Can't beat a good hard copy of the paper over brekkers though.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

You could get a kindle and subscribe to a paper. Around £10 a month and they download daily automatically. Bonus is you then don't need internet to read it
Old Dec 17th 2011, 12:59 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Some places sell printed out versions of the UK newspapers if you dont mind spending 20+ rm for a copy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.