Back to Penang away from the Brr in Lancaster

Back to Penang away from the Brr in Lancaster

Old Dec 15th 2012, 12:29 am
Just Joined

sue allen is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Back to Penang away from the Brr in Lancaster

Hello everyone espescially Bakedbean?
I was directed to this Malaysian site by dreadsoc
I must apologise for these funny names which I am referring to .
I am new to forums so I like to introduce myself here
I am here in Penang having lived in UK for 40 years so a lot has changed since I left in 1972
I am semi retired looking for a nice warm place to live and enjoy my leisure days.
I know Penang well from frequent visits but I would like to meet like minded people who have similar issues which I will face if I decide to retire here.
Issues like tax insurance driving MM2H comes to mind.
So I hope this forum will help me with information to help make living here more enjoyable.
Sue
Old Dec 15th 2012, 2:22 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to Penang away from the Brr in Lancaster

Nice to have you on the forum Sue. I'm sure you have already discovered that there are so many Penang born ladies that have moved back to Penang under MM2H visa, so you are one of many following the trend, and I don't blame you. I love Penang.

Any questions you have re MM2H, just fire away on here. Start a new thread if you cannot find a suitable topic to add on to. I'll try and answer what I can. I have the MM2H visa but am no great expert. I think you've already posted on the MM2H "sticky" thread at top of this sub-forum. You'll see a couple of good links on there: to the government website and the MM2H info site. Both have good and detailed information.

I am part of a "support group" for MM2Hers in Penang and we do regular coffee meetups so would be great to meet up with you. I need to check with the Forum Administrator if I can put a link in here - not sure of the netiquette I'll post something later, or send you a PM (Personal Message).
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hi Sue,

Welcome back to Penang. Mrs S and myself are MM2H visa people and I'm no expert either, but if you like to fire some questions, I can let you know what little I know.

My wife is Taiping raised, but is so happy being back in Malaysia and living part of our time in Penang and part in KL.

Driving is for the brave, not because of cars so much as motorbikes, which are just crazy. Getting a local licence is really no hassle, but different rules apply to different nationalities so need to check with a local JPJ office to see what you would require.

If you end up around Batu Ferringhi , then the 101 bus (half price for seniors but must ask for it) goes all the way to the jetty and is a painless way to enjoy a day in the "city" with no parking or traffic woes.

Cheers
Old Dec 16th 2012, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Nice to have you on the forum Sue. I'm sure you have already discovered that there are so many Penang born ladies that have moved back to Penang under MM2H visa, so you are one of many following the trend, and I don't blame you. I love Penang.

Any questions you have re MM2H, just fire away on here. Start a new thread if you cannot find a suitable topic to add on to. I'll try and answer what I can. I have the MM2H visa but am no great expert. I think you've already posted on the MM2H "sticky" thread at top of this sub-forum. You'll see a couple of good links on there: to the government website and the MM2H info site. Both have good and detailed information.

I am part of a "support group" for MM2Hers in Penang and we do regular coffee meetups so would be great to meet up with you. I need to check with the Forum Administrator if I can put a link in here - not sure of the netiquette I'll post something later, or send you a PM (Personal Message).
Hi Bakedbean,

THank you for your lovely welcome. I feel more relaxed this time being back in Penang and it is so good to know that there are others who have left Malaysia for a long while and perhaps feeling the shortage of sunshine especially in UK.
I feel my bones are crying out for a massive does of Vitamin D and here like all smart folks are here enjoying what they can.
Life is a choice so I am taking a big leap to change my style of living.
I love your suggestion to meet up with like minded people for a chat over coffee.
So I look forward to your link or email please.
Sincerely,
Sue
Old Dec 16th 2012, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Strider24
Hi Sue,

Welcome back to Penang. Mrs S and myself are MM2H visa people and I'm no expert either, but if you like to fire some questions, I can let you know what little I know.

My wife is Taiping raised, but is so happy being back in Malaysia and living part of our time in Penang and part in KL.

Driving is for the brave, not because of cars so much as motorbikes, which are just crazy. Getting a local licence is really no hassle, but different rules apply to different nationalities so need to check with a local JPJ office to see what you would require.

If you end up around Batu Ferringhi , then the 101 bus (half price for seniors but must ask for it) goes all the way to the jetty and is a painless way to enjoy a day in the "city" with no parking or traffic woes.

Cheers
Hi Strider24,
Thanks for your info about the driving and bus.
I do not intend to drive if I can avoid it. When i was here with my British late husband 8 years ago, I did drive, but I was very nervous but my son just said to 'Just get in the driver's seat ' .I did not have a choice and I was shivering like a leaf driving all the way down the hill from Batu Ferringhi Eden Seaview Condo.I still remember that there are 24 twists and turns to negotiate.It is not so much the terrian but the mad traffic I was afraid of, as I am used to hill driving in the lake district.
I have not driven for 7 years so I do not think I want to have the stress again.
I like to ask other's opinion for my recent dilemma.
I have been given a 3 months visit on my UK passport, but I am due to go back in March so this will take me to a 4 months stay. My immediate question now is how to extend my stay without having to apply for a 6 months visa?
I have heard that one can take a trip to Thailand or anywhere out of Malaysia and obtain a re entry visa of another 3 months.Is this still a valid way of doing this?
Any great suggestions would be welcomed.

Sue
Old Dec 16th 2012, 1:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes you can take a trip to Thailand or Singapore for a few days then get another re-entry stamped in passport. There's many direct flights to Singapore from Penang Int'l airport, also a couple of direct flights to Phuket Thailand and Koh Samui Thailand. I've got a feeling that you can also extend your visa by 1 month at Immigration (not entirely sure). Does anyone else on here know?

As mentioned before, I am part of a small social/support group of MM2Hers and we meet up for coffees and chit-chat every 2 or 3 weeks. Next coffee meetup is next Tuesday. Sue (Administrator of this forum) says it's OK for me to put a link here, so here it is http://mm2hpenang.weebly.com/coming-up.html

Do please come along and have a chat if you like. It's very informal and there's usually between 8 to 12 of us. All MM2Hers are welcome to come along, though, I must admit, we seem to be mostly Brits so far. There's usually a few folks from Bt Ferringhi so imagine you may be able to cadge a lift back afterwards

I'll also send you an email later or tomorrow. I've got friends coming over for lunch today so I'd better get off the internet and shift my backside over to the kitchen
Old Dec 16th 2012, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hi Sue,

Sympathise with you regards driving and fortunatly you have most things close at hand where you are. I mentioned the 101 bus which is great to get to Tesco or the city and the 102 to the airport.

A little bug to drive around B.F would be handy. The Tanjung Bungah market is great as well but does have the 24 corners and 50 million crazy bikes to worry about.

Berfore MM2H my wife and I would take as sleeper (half price for over 60) to Singapore a few days and back again. Now the train stops at Wopodlands so not as convenient, but there is a short ride bus connection from Woodlands to the MRT. Getting to the train in Butterworth is a breeze. Take the 101 to the Jetty. The KTM train ticket office is up the walkway toward the ferry. Short walk with a lot of steps to KTM new station on the other side, tuck into bed and way to go. There is one express train that goes all the way to Singapore per day. Ordinary sleeper for seniors Butterworth to KL and same again KL to Sing is about RM33.. Ferry pay only one way and about RM1.40. Seniors bus BF to Ferry about RM1.70 I think.

Cheers
Old Dec 16th 2012, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi, yes you can take a trip to Thailand or Singapore for a few days then get another re-entry stamped in passport. There's many direct flights to Singapore from Penang Int'l airport, also a couple of direct flights to Phuket Thailand and Koh Samui Thailand. I've got a feeling that you can also extend your visa by 1 month at Immigration (not entirely sure). Does anyone else on here know?

As mentioned before, I am part of a small social/support group of MM2Hers and we meet up for coffees and chit-chat every 2 or 3 weeks. Next coffee meetup is next Tuesday. Sue (Administrator of this forum) says it's OK for me to put a link here, so here it is http://mm2hpenang.weebly.com/coming-up.html

Do please come along and have a chat if you like. It's very informal and there's usually between 8 to 12 of us. All MM2Hers are welcome to come along, though, I must admit, we seem to be mostly Brits so far. There's usually a few folks from Bt Ferringhi so imagine you may be able to cadge a lift back afterwards

I'll also send you an email later or tomorrow. I've got friends coming over for lunch today so I'd better get off the internet and shift my backside over to the kitchen
Thanks for the invite.
I look forward to coming along and meeting the group on Tuesday. i am not sure where it is but I am sure I can google or ask my local friends
Cheers
Sue
Old Dec 16th 2012, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Strider24
Hi Sue,

Sympathise with you regards driving and fortunatly you have most things close at hand where you are. I mentioned the 101 bus which is great to get to Tesco or the city and the 102 to the airport.

A little bug to drive around B.F would be handy. The Tanjung Bungah market is great as well but does have the 24 corners and 50 million crazy bikes to worry about.

Berfore MM2H my wife and I would take as sleeper (half price for over 60) to Singapore a few days and back again. Now the train stops at Wopodlands so not as convenient, but there is a short ride bus connection from Woodlands to the MRT. Getting to the train in Butterworth is a breeze. Take the 101 to the Jetty. The KTM train ticket office is up the walkway toward the ferry. Short walk with a lot of steps to KTM new station on the other side, tuck into bed and way to go. There is one express train that goes all the way to Singapore per day. Ordinary sleeper for seniors Butterworth to KL and same again KL to Sing is about RM33.. Ferry pay only one way and about RM1.40. Seniors bus BF to Ferry about RM1.70 I think.

Cheers
Thanks for suggestion. Train trip sounds good .may do this one day.
I have had a good read of your travels on your blogsite
I will post the site to my UK friends who are thinking of coming over to Penang to give it a try. Some of them are nervous of south East Asia but would go to Mexico Jamaica etc westward. Why?
I love to go to Cambodia so reading your blogsite is very useful.
Sue
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:03 am

On the other hand, if you're lazy like us, easy to get taxi to penang airport, about RM 50, and loads of flights to Singapore. Jetstar are very good and decent prices.

There's a map of the coffee meetup venue on the website link. If you're getting bus or taxi, get off at or near Island Plaza. Precinct 10 is next to it.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sue allen
Thanks for suggestion. Train trip sounds good .may do this one day.
I have had a good read of your travels on your blogsite
I will post the site to my UK friends who are thinking of coming over to Penang to give it a try. Some of them are nervous of south East Asia but would go to Mexico Jamaica etc westward. Why?
I love to go to Cambodia so reading your blogsite is very useful.
Sue
Thanks Sue. Glad you find it useful. I do it as a sort of diary that I can use when Alzheimer's really sets in!