British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Australian Expat attempts Road Tax Gambit- Get's Caught (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/australian-expat-attempts-road-tax-gambit-gets-caught-907456/)

RedApe Jan 3rd 2018 4:44 pm

Australian Expat attempts Road Tax Gambit- Get's Caught

Sarawak has much lower road tax for luxury vehicles RM5000 vs. RM20,000 on the peninsula. This guy from down under thought he had found a smart way to reduce his tax load.

‘Peninsula vehicles prohibited to renew road tax in Sarawak, Sabah’ – BorneoPost Online | Borneo , Malaysia, Sarawak Daily News | Largest English Daily In Borneo

SushiFan Jan 5th 2018 8:02 am

Re: Australian Expat attempts Road Tax Gambit- Get's Caught

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12410166)
Sarawak has much lower road tax for luxury vehicles RM5000 vs. RM20,000 on the peninsula. This guy from down under thought he had found a smart way to reduce his tax load.

‘Peninsula vehicles prohibited to renew road tax in Sarawak, Sabah’ – BorneoPost Online | Borneo , Malaysia, Sarawak Daily News | Largest English Daily In Borneo

According to other news articles does the Rolls belong to a rich Malaysian, who rents it to an Australian man. The Rolls, plus some 20 other cars, where confiscated as the owner had not paid the road tax on time. It was then that it was discovered that the road tax was being paid in Sarawak even though the cars were actually used in the peninsula.

RedApe Jan 5th 2018 8:51 am

Ouch...totally misread THAT.

Seems that the Australian was more of a victim than an agent of malfeasance...and that the owner was running a wider scam. Sorry to any from the Land of the Long Weekend.

You'd think that they'd check on whether the vehicles have import/shipping documents into Sabah/Sarawak before issuing them a registration....but maybe the owner figured out a way of concealing that, too.

eCdD Jan 7th 2018 11:01 am

Actually it was not the cosmetic king himself, he says he has no time to care about such small things like vehicle registration and road tax for his big collection of luxury cars, his staff made a mistake :)

But who rented out the Rolls to the Australian guy, will we ever know? :D

RedApe Jan 7th 2018 1:20 pm

That's believable...my staff went over to Sarawak, accidently brought along all the documents necessary for the registration, and thought..."well I have some time off from watching orangutans and proboscis monkeys...maybe I'll just plop down to the Vehicle Registration office after I finish my laksa". Yeah, the employee just wanted to save some trips at home.

That's it...yeeaaahhh....:rofl: