Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Anybody living in Tanjung Bungah or Tanjung Tokong?

Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:50 pm
GCC
Just Joined

GCC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody living in Tanjung Bungah or Tanjung Tokong?

Hi,
Could you please share your opinión on rent costs and info of the area?

All info welcome

Thanks
GCC
Old Feb 16th 2016, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody living in Tanjung Bungah or Tanjung Tokong?

bb is your best bet.

And she's very helpful.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:12 pm
GCC
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
bb is your best bet.

And she's very helpful.
Hi Ex Reg.

You mean BakedBean correct?

Hope she can help!

Thx
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:21 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCC
Hi,
Could you please share your opinión on rent costs and info of the area?

All info welcome

Thanks
GCC
I think this is a bit vague as questions go, GCC. It might be better if you provide a bit more detail on what you are looking at so people can respond to that
Old Feb 17th 2016, 5:13 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I've no idea about rental costs I'm afraid. Your best bet is to look around some of the property agent sites (there are loads) and that will give you some idea.

Info about?

I like both villages. I'm currently living in Tanjung Tokong. I started a topic on Tg Tokong here so, rather than repeat myself, .......
http://britishexpats.com/forum/retir...pinang-862004/
Feel free to add on to that topic, if you wish.

Tanjung Bungah is a bit different. It's got more of a slower, retired feel to it. A few established hotels along the beach front, so you will get a few holidaymakers.

As IVV said, if you want to be a bit more specific with what kind of info you are looking for, then I will try my best to answer.

Having said that, nothing will beat going and looking for yourself. What I like and what you like may be totally different.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Tanjung Bungah is a bit different. It's got more of a slower, retired feel to it.
I am not sure whether it will stay that way in the coming years. My impression is that land space for new developments is limited in Tj. Tokong and that new developments shift more and more into the Tj. Bungah area. Especially along the coast line.

Last edited by SushiFan; Feb 17th 2016 at 1:02 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 3:50 pm
GCC
Just Joined

Hi everybody,
Thank for your replies.
Bakedbean, I got an opinion form the Topic "Retired life in Tanjung Tokong / Tanjung Tokong. It’s quite complete many thanks. It does match with my idea at present.

I have heard many good reports from Penang where Miami Green in Batu Ferrinnghi, however wanted to have second option with another area.

I do have some points clear depending on rent pricing so the links of looking at Rental pricing is first think I will look into.
90 to 100 square meters, with 2 bathrooms and 2 or 3 bedrooms would be great Swimming pool and gym.

This is what I am looking at:
Good social life, mix up with Expats, malls, and eating out hawkers, food courts, Supermarkets, Tesco, Cold Storage, hospitals, high speed Internet connection, good TV channels, Banks nearby; not planning to buy a car first months.

Love Condos with swimming pool and gym. So if you could recommend some areas would be great.

Sorry for my early post I was not clear 

Thanks,
GCC
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:16 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Well... probably Tg Tokong, Tg Pinang (Straits Quay), Tg Bungah, Batu Ferringhi all fit the bill.

If you're not getting a car, you probably need to be happy with buses. If you don't like buses, think about where the shops and banks are located I guess. But you really need to check out and see exactly what appeals to you.

Re groceries, bear in mind that Tesco does deliveries. You can check on their website which areas. So no need to limit yourself to being close to a supermarket. Other areas have mini-marts, markets etc. You won't starve

Ooh maybe check out Gurney Drive. You can walk everywhere to malls, banks, the lot from there. Just depends if you like it. It can be quite busy busy.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

I think which area is best for you comes down to who you are, how well you know yourself and your expectations.

I'm renting in Tg Bungah as I wanted to get away from tourists, wanted a quiet life where I'm left alone but at the same time came drive to some life if I need too. Its quite central to everywhere and is close to all the shopping you need.

If I was younger and liked the beach more or wanted to see lots of western faces then I would have picked Batu Ferringhi. But I moved from the UK as all I saw was western faces and wanted a change. The same can be said of Georgetown. Seeing all those tourists everyday would drive me mad, but for some it would be heaven, so you need to check carefully what your about.

Mingling with loads of expats and having a jolly old time is not something I think can happen in Penang unless you are very outgoing and force it to happen, or have been here for millions of years. I kind of think Penang can be a bit clicky with regards to expats, and certain areas or social places are borderline pretentious. Luckily it stays just the right side of the line, but Penang is not Thailand where you see upwards of 50 expats on deck chairs outside of bars at night all getting along just fine. To move to Penang takes a lot more cash than moving and living long term in Thailand, and whilst this keeps a lot of the rougher elements out of Penang, it does mean that finding the more down to earth kind of westerner is a bit harder to find. This could all be in my head though, as I do like to keep a distance and am very fussy about who I let in my life.

I lived 12 years in mainland China before Penang and it would only take at most 2 visits to any local bar and you would be welcomed into the local group of expats and have many good friends in a very short time. In contrast, I've been to a bar in Tg Bungah at least 8 times now, and not once have any of the 6 to 10 local expats sat at the bar ever said anything to me or tried to make contact. The reverse might also be true though, and there could be 10 expats on another forum all saying, well, we've see this guy come into the bar at least 8 times now and he never says hello or tries to make contact with us.

Got to work out what you really want from a place to make it work. The lack of social contact means I am free to get on with my life, and if I do want some fun and a chat then you can sit outside of Chulia Court on a weekend and get pissed until 3am and chat to hundreds of tourists that you never have to meet again.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

From what you said you like I would also look at Gurney Drive. There is a high end codo block opposite The Northam All Suites hotel with each apartment having its own swimming pool and garden.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:34 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owned
From what you said you like I would also look at Gurney Drive. There is a high end codo block opposite The Northam All Suites hotel with each apartment having its own swimming pool and garden.
It's called '8 Gurney' and is also known as 'The Shores'. The apartments there are huge - 10,700+ square feet.

JC3