Property advice

Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property advice

Dear all,

A recent thread mentioned "strata properties" which was a term I was unfamiliar with.

I have also seen mention of "link" properties which I assume are beachfront properties.

As someone with my MM2H visa but not yet residing in Malaysia I would request any kind members, with free time, please enlighten me on the types of properties available in Malaysia and possible pitfalls to watch out for when renting or purchasing.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:57 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property advice

Originally Posted by Macsta
Dear all,

A recent thread mentioned "strata properties" which was a term I was unfamiliar with.

I have also seen mention of "link" properties which I assume are beachfront properties.

As someone with my MM2H visa but not yet residing in Malaysia I would request any kind members, with free time, please enlighten me on the types of properties available in Malaysia and possible pitfalls to watch out for when renting or purchasing.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, the terms are a bit confusing. Strata (or stratified) properties are apartments, of all types, where you are sharing the land on which the block sits. Landed properties are houses of all types, where the land belongs to the house. Linked is where the houses are joined together.

I seem to remember a very good post (by JC3, I think) on pitfalls, try using the search function to see what it comes up with.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks InVinoVeritas,

See I associated "linked" with golf = on the beach!

Shows how little I know.

Thanks for the advice and I will search for any previous information.

One question is anyone can reply.

For the minimum purchase price, is it the the final buying price agreed or can it include stamp duty and any other associated purchase costs of the property?

For example if the purchase price was negotiated to 485,000 but stamp duty and any other taxes took it over 500,000 does it mean its reached the required threshold?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Macsta
For example if the purchase price was negotiated to 485,000 but stamp duty and any other taxes took it over 500,000 does it mean its reached the required threshold?
No.
But I heard some people might make the official amount 500K while only paying 485K.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Stepen,

Yes that thought did cross my mind as a possibility as a seller would not want to lose a potential sale if its mutually beneficial for both parties.