3 Month Rentals

Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:46 am
Just Joined

eigpjv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 Month Rentals

My wife and I have an MM2H visa and have holidayed in Penang several times. I will be retiring later this year, but before committing finally to moving to Malaysia we want to put in another 3 month stint based in Penang with trips around the rest of the country.
Ideally I would like to rent a self catering or fully furnished 2 bed unit for the whole period that we can use as a lockup and go, but all I am finding is daily/weekly holiday lets or 12 month leases.
Does anyone know of an agency that handles the sort of rental I am looking for or is this a non starter?

Peter
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:10 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Month Rentals

Originally Posted by eigpjv
My wife and I have an MM2H visa and have holidayed in Penang several times. I will be retiring later this year, but before committing finally to moving to Malaysia we want to put in another 3 month stint based in Penang with trips around the rest of the country.
Ideally I would like to rent a self catering or fully furnished 2 bed unit for the whole period that we can use as a lockup and go, but all I am finding is daily/weekly holiday lets or 12 month leases.
Does anyone know of an agency that handles the sort of rental I am looking for or is this a non starter?

Peter
There is a huge over supply of apartments for rent in Penang. Good tenants are like gold dust. I think many landlords would be happy to accept a 3 month term, but in your shoes I would suggest to a prospective landlord that you are seeking an initial 3 month term and a month by month rolling term thereafter. This may not be the case but will sound more attractive to the landlord and could provide you with some flexibility. Whatever I suggest you negotiate hard on whatever the advertised monthly asking rental is. look for a discount of 15-40%, even though you'll only be there a short time. Don't forget a retired European couple are 'perfect' tenants!

Try searching on iproperty.com, and make some enquiries - yes landlords want a one or two year agreement in the ideal world, but they also want a tenant and some cash coming in.

JC3
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:16 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.

The holiday lets come at a premium as you probably know. What you probably don't know is that quite often it's not legal to take a short let in a residential condo....and some condos are keeping a tight tab on the rules.

Have you thought about negotiating with a hotel for a 3 month stay? Just a thought.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Sounds logical JC3 - will make a few initial forays and see what happensThanks for link as well; I will dig into that tomorrow.
Cheers
Peter
Originally Posted by JC3
There is a huge over supply of apartments for rent in Penang. Good tenants are like gold dust. I think many landlords would be happy to accept a 3 month term, but in your shoes I would suggest to a prospective landlord that you are seeking an initial 3 month term and a month by month rolling term thereafter. This may not be the case but will sound more attractive to the landlord and could provide you with some flexibility. Whatever I suggest you negotiate hard on whatever the advertised monthly asking rental is. look for a discount of 15-40%, even though you'll only be there a short time. Don't forget a retired European couple are 'perfect' tenants!

Try searching on iproperty.com, and make some enquiries - yes landlords want a one or two year agreement in the ideal world, but they also want a tenant and some cash coming in.

JC3
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.

The holiday lets come at a premium as you probably know. What you probably don't know is that quite often it's not legal to take a short let in a residential condo....and some condos are keeping a tight tab on the rules.

Have you thought about negotiating with a hotel for a 3 month stay? Just a thought.
Thanks for welcome bakedbean.
I had thought about the hotel option in fact. Last time we were there we stayed in the Gurney, which was past its prime for sure but the room was huge. However, an appartment would be more like the real world, if you know what I mean... and that is really what we are after a taste of. There is a big difference in ones experience, attitude and approach to 3 weeks vacation in a place versus 3 months "living" there and that is really what I need to experience.

Peter
Old Jan 13th 2014, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bakedbean;11076113] What you probably don't know is that quite often it's not legal to take a short let in a residential condo....and some condos are keeping a tight tab on the rules.QUOTE]

Good point bakebean..... and not only in Malaysia. Some Condo rules are to protect the other tenants and are so subscribed.
I'm happy you mentioned as I'm searching for similar in Vancouver for this summer and can only find commercially overpriced property.

It is clear to me that some subterfuge, like insider dealing, might be required....and may also be required for short rentals in Penang.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:35 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Davita;11076307]
It is clear to me that some subterfuge, like insider dealing, might be required....and may also be required for short rentals in Penang.
Haha yes you can find them but they may not be exactly "kosher". This topic was discussed in detail on my2home a little while back and a certain committee chairman of a certain condo was pointing out that it was not OK to do, even though you could find these short-term lets on the internet. And I think (possibly) that condo in question has now tightened up things. Ahem....that's not going to be so good if some unknowing renter has just booked this online and then finds himself/herself breaking the law here. Ehrm.....just saying......
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:40 am

There is a big difference in ones experience, attitude and approach to 3 weeks vacation in a place versus 3 months "living" there and that is really what I need to experience.

Peter
Well yes.....and no I spent a year renting in Penang, and it was totally different experience to my now current position in my own condo. All condos are different, believe me.

Personally, I would concentrate on doing the things you would do when living here i.e. forget about the tourist stuff. There will be plenty of time for that when living here. Go check out the wet markets, the supermarkets, banks, kliniks. Talk to other expats. Talk to locals.

What are your hobbies, interests? Check out those. If you like walking, go for some walks. If you like fine dining, check that out. If you like pubs/drinking, go check out.

Will you be driving here? Get a rental car and check out the driving here...it's not the worst in the world, but it sure ain't the best either. If no driving, check out the buses.....etc etc.

But...just my opinion
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you like fine dining, check that out. )
Fine dining, BB? I think I have only heard the term used once or twice on threads here. IIRC it was mentioned by the guru known as Kebi - and I'm pretty sure he didn't recommend Malaysia for fine dining! I guess, of course, there is fine dining and errr fine dining. Cheers! However, "check it out" is great advice! So, eigpjv (Peter) if you do check it out and you do find any fine dining, please be sure to let us know!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Well yes.....and no I spent a year renting in Penang, and it was totally different experience to my now current position in my own condo. All condos are different, believe me.

Personally, I would concentrate on doing the things you would do when living here i.e. forget about the tourist stuff. There will be plenty of time for that when living here. Go check out the wet markets, the supermarkets, banks, kliniks. Talk to other expats. Talk to locals.

What are your hobbies, interests? Check out those. If you like walking, go for some walks. If you like fine dining, check that out. If you like pubs/drinking, go check out.

Will you be driving here? Get a rental car and check out the driving here...it's not the worst in the world, but it sure ain't the best either. If no driving, check out the buses.....etc etc.

But...just my opinion
That is it in a nutshell BB - exactly my intent. The reason I am not keen on a hotel room is precisely because it would be too easy to fall into the "tourist" mode of all previous visits.
And as for fine dining .... did I mention I am retiring? I will need to watch the pennies at least until I get a handle for real costs, so fine diding can wait.

Peter
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:43 am

Hehe the fine dining was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, though there are some places that think they are. I'm a foodcourt gal myself
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Floyd3593 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone got experience of a 3 month rental period (or shorter than a 12 month one anyway!) in KL?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

Most of condo managements don’t allow short term rentals due to security reasons.
An alternative to find a place you will be on your own would be to check “short term rentals Penang” on the internet. On the web page (I’m not supposed to mention) you choose a nice place and look how it is booked for the period you intend to stay. Than you book it for a short term (i.e. one week), contact/meet the owner and if you like the apartment negotiate a good price for 3 months. She/he will be more than happy…
Old Jan 19th 2014, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Avatar BB
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:06 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Peter
Hi Peter,

Some of the answers to your post question the legality of short term lets in condos and gated developments with shared common facilities.

Generally these type of properties have House Rules that are By-laws and are legally enforceable. Typically though it is the Owner of the property to whom the House Rules apply, although they will be responsible for ensuring their tenants comply too.

Some (but not all) condos’ house rules will have a clause that prohibits the Owner from renting his/her unit for a term of less than one month / three months etc. It would be wise to ask for a copy of the House Rules before signing the Tenancy Agreement. A three month residential rental will generally be fine.

The ‘minimum tenancy term’ rules are usually made to stop landlords renting out their unit to weekend holidaymakers etc, who occasionally make life hell for the other owners, such as when a three bedroom unit suddenly gets 20 short term tenants with a don’t give a damn attitude, or when the swimming pool becomes unusable at weekends by the other owners because it’s overflowing with someone's short term tenants.

In your case, the owners of your rented unit and the neighbouring owners would probably be very happy to have you and your wife staying there for 3 months – you sound like ideal tenants! So don’t let this legal stuff put you off – just ask for a copy of the House Rules and check what say.

In Penang it’s perfectly possible to find what you’re looking for. Email a few agents and see which ones bother to respond. Sadly many / most won't. It may help to make it sound like there might be more business (and therefore commission) in it for the agent if he or she looks after you well - e.g.

a) step one is a 3 month rental
b) step two is another rental for a year or more and
c) step three is a property purchase.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Jan 20th 2014 at 1:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.