Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Sep 1st 2017, 10:41 pm   #211
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF back in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
Children and babies were treated very differently in the 70's

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...30-year-period
Religion. Helping no one since forever.
Nutek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 12:19 pm   #212
BE Forum Addict

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The 1975 records & data if they haven't disappeared
Good point. Recently I applied for a copy of a relative's birth certificate, having found the relevant entry on a micro fiched record of the Register - only to be told it is "not available'.

JG, understood; Pulaski, thanks for posting the link!

Last edited by Expatrick; Sep 2nd 2017 at 12:23 pm.
Expatrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 1:12 pm   #213
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Good point. Recently I applied for a copy of a relative's birth certificate, having found the relevant entry on a micro fiched record of the Register - only to be told it is "not available'. .....
That doesn't mean it's lost, it means that to reduce the risk of fraud a copy of the certificate won't be issued at the present time. IIRC it is about 100 years after the birth that it will become available for family history research purposes.
Quote:
.... Pulaski, thanks for posting the link!
You're welcome. It was an interesting exercise in Google usage to find the relevant article based only on what 007Steve had said about it.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 1:20 pm   #214
BE Enthusiast

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good point. Recently I applied for a copy of a relative's birth certificate, having found the relevant entry on a micro fiched record of the Register - only to be told it is "not available'.

JG, understood; Pulaski, thanks for posting the link!
Just watch out they don't pull their usual Data Protection Legislation & insist you have to 'substantiate' your relationship to the data reqested, and the commonly used refusal based on 'necessity'...
'UK 2017 - You pay for it and we tell you what you may have.'
Pulaski, that's a very good thought.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 1:27 pm   #215
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
That doesn't mean it's lost, it means that to reduce the risk of fraud a copy of the certificate won't be issued at the present time. IIRC it is about 100 years after the birth that it will become available for family history research purposes.

You're welcome. It was an interesting exercise in Google usage to find the relevant article based only on what 007Steve had said about it.
No, that's census records that have to wait approx 100 years. Birth, marriage and death records are always available. For instance, I recently obtained a copy of a 1965 birth cert and a 1974 death for my family history research.

True, about the Google technique - but in this case it was just as easy to go the BBC UK news and scan the headlines!

Last edited by robin1234; Sep 2nd 2017 at 1:31 pm.
robin1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 1:30 pm   #216
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
No, that's census records that have to wait approx 100 years. Birth, marriage and death records are always available. For instance, I recently obtained a copy of a 1965 birth cert and a 1974 death for my family history research.
OK. .... So per 007Steve's post, did you have to justify your reason for requesting the certificates?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 1:36 pm   #217
BE Forum Addict

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't know about the possibility of a 100 year rule, however I applied for another from the same year (1930) & apparently that one is in the post as we speak. I have not been asked for a justification but maybe the match of surnames was sufficient?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 5:01 pm   #218
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OK. .... So per 007Steve's post, did you have to justify your reason for requesting the certificates?
Not at all. BMD certificates are public information, available to anyone with no embargo period. You can request any one you want.

The one that was reported as "not available" may be literally not available, somehow lost or misfiled? Or the index numbers on the request were incorrect or garbled?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 5:31 pm   #219
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Quote:
Not at all. BMD certificates are public information, available to anyone with no embargo period. You can request any one you want. ....
So asking for, or offering, a birth certificate as evidence of identity is utterly useless?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 7:02 pm   #220
Heading for Poppyland

Quote:
So asking for, or offering, a birth certificate as evidence of identity is utterly useless?
I think you'd usually show a drivers license or a passport too. Assuming you still look like your photo..
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 7:46 pm   #221
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Not at all. BMD certificates are public information, available to anyone with no embargo period. You can request any one you want.

The one that was reported as "not available" may be literally not available, somehow lost or misfiled? Or the index numbers on the request were incorrect or garbled?
I have gone back & re confirmed the details, let's see how I get on.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:21 am   #222
BEVS 
BE Site Lead
Administrator

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Tragic.
I am devastated for this woman and her son. It is beyond disgusting. No-one listening. No-one cared. Deceive the mother . Infer she was somehow mistaken . A fool.
I have to sincerely hope that she is able to find any remains or at least discover what exactly happened to her son.

Beyond disgraceful to the extent I really don't have the depth of words.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:26 am   #223
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I am devastated for this woman and her son. It is beyond disgusting. No-one listening. No-one cared. Deceive the mother . Infer she was somehow mistaken . A fool.
I have to sincerely hope that she is able to find any remains or at least discover what exactly happened to her son.

Beyond disgraceful to the extent I really don't have the depth of words.
Deliberate, premeditated deception.
Will anyone be held to account? I doubt it.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:30 am   #224
BEVS 
BE Site Lead
Administrator

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: WTF back in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I read that earlier today and was bloody disgusted - not with the blokes who raised £2,500 for the local hospital, but the robot hospital boss who deemed their fundraising methods, thus their funds, were unacceptable. Even the local nurses thought it was a fun and worthwhile event.
This is weird stuff .

After my Dad died I needed to remove a stockpile of sealed, perfectly good ,medical equipment . Dressings and the like. Dad always over ordered .
Could I get anyone , let alone the place itself , to take this stock back ? Nopes.

It was sealed. Unopened. Unused. Pristine. the suggestion was to dump it.

So I did. Right in front of some regional offices of Médecins Sans Frontières who also were not keen without receipts and the like but I figured heck. Use it or lose it. It is needed. Your choice.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:35 am   #225
BEVS 
BE Site Lead
Administrator

Quote:
If you have the correct information then it should be available .

Quote:
Absolutely.

If you have the correct information then you can obtain the certificate.
If the info is not correct it will be not found and your money refunded.

Expatrick. More info would be needed to ascertain the result from your first search.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge