Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:15 pm   #1
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swimming with sharks

Hey guys,

I just fulfilled the first part of a lifelong dream.
To wit, diving with sharks in their natural habitat.

We dove Cocos Island, off the coast of Costa Rica.
I only had five dives prior to this so it was a real treat to go.

We did 21 dives, two night dives, and swam with whale sharks, a giant turtle, frog fish, bat fish, manta rays, hundreds of hammerheads, galapagos sharks, white tips, silkies, and tiger sharks. The biggest tiger was 15ft and got about five feet away. It was incredible.

As someone who grew up loving sharks, and Jaws - I know, the movie was very misleading and detrimental to sharks - this was a thrill of a lifetime. I've never felt more calm and excited at the same time.

Phase two will be to swim with a great white. Hopefully in 2019.

If you're into diving, drift diving etc, check out Cocos Island. It's stunning, the reefs are beautiful, and it supposedly was the inspiration for Treasure Island and Jurassic Park. There's supposedly a lot of buried treasure still on the island from pirates Bennett Graham and Benito Bonito. And the treasure of Lima.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Sep 20th 2017 at 5:20 pm.
Octang Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:18 am   #2
Forum Regular

SilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really nice
Default Re: Swimming with sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
The biggest tiger was 15ft and got about five feet away.
Phase two will be to swim with a great white. Hopefully in 2019.
I watched the film "The Shallows" through my fingers over the weekend so I would not even go in a cage.
SilviaAlgarve is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge