Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:00 pm   #61
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Replies to facebook posts that you can't actually put on there

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
It does bug me how people allow their young kids to have Facebook accounts, I know of at least 5 kids my daughters age (10) who have accounts. I can't imagine what their parents are thinking of.
I don't want to have to deal with checking what he's posting on there; checking his friends list; checking this, that and the other. He doesn't miss anything by not having an account. He's only got 3.5 years until he's 18, he can do what the hell he wants then

Quote:
I do actually really like Facebook and use it a lot, I love being able to keep up with friends and family and see their pictures easily. I also do the check-ins (sorry) but you often get 10-25% off something for the place you are by checking in. Our local wine bar for instance offers 25% off a glass of wine when you check in, a local restaurant gives free dessert, and when we were in Napa most wineries offered free tastings for a Facebook check-in.
No offence, but I couldn't do that and still like myself

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:02 pm   #62
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Maybe I'm just unsociable...but I couldn't give a rat's ass about viewing other people's photos...or reading about how outstanding Little Johnny is at school etc.
The ONLY advantage for me is it is just a bit easier than remembering to reply to emails from my mates back home. I'm really bad with correspondence because I have a tendency to leave it until later, then forget.

That and gig spam, but I just do that as a status update, not an event that spams your inbox - only the newsfeed so they can choose to ignore it.

Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:02 pm   #63
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Hands up....but who's been painting? And lets have a look

And speaking of, the littlest one has done just that on the kitchen table a couple days ago...luckily it's got an enamelled top and the marker wiped off easily enough...so she's been trying her luck with the crayons.

Crayons are satans little joke on the world of parents.
Nutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:05 pm   #64
N1cky Female
Premium Member

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I don't want to have to deal with checking what he's posting on there; checking his friends list; checking this, that and the other. He doesn't miss anything by not having an account. He's only got 3.5 years until he's 18, he can do what the hell he wants then

No offence, but I couldn't do that and still like myself
That's ok, I'm not particularly proud of it.

Doesn't help when posting and reviewing crap on Facebook is part of my hubbys job, so he spends half his life on it. It just becomes part of your life then
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:06 pm   #65
Bash the fash

Quote:
That's ok, I'm not particularly proud of it.

Doesn't help when posting and reviewing crap on Facebook is part of my hubbys job, so he spends half his life on it. It just becomes part of your life then
At least he gets paid for it ...

Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:10 pm   #66
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe I'm just unsociable...but I couldn't give a rat's ass about viewing other people's photos...or reading about how outstanding Little Johnny is at school etc.
Quite a lot of photos on FB tend to be of a, "don't my knockers look spectacular?" mood. Or at least that's how your photos are going to be viewed by a lot of the male acquaintances women will have on there (me excluded, obviously).

I post a lot of photos of me and my kids being absurd. Which is nauseating to some (I've received the messages telling me to shut up). But I'll never understand the people who repeatedly post photos of their wedding day. I have an old work colleague who updates her photo constantly to a new wedding photo in between status updates about how her husband (of 6 years) is a moron.

Last edited by Captain Cheesestick; Jan 28th 2013 at 6:14 pm.
Captain Cheesestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:12 pm   #67
N1cky Female
Premium Member

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At least he gets paid for it ...
I guess. At least we haven't become one of these couples who go out and spend all our time on our phones. Don't know if it's just because we are in the middle of Silicon Valley, but you do go out and see people have an entire drink and not speak to each other, just tap away.

I did like the suggestion of when you go out with a group of friends, everyone puts their phone facedown in a pile in the middle of the table. First one who checks theirs has to pick up the bar bill
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:15 pm   #68
Bash the fash

I've stopped adding photos altogether now; unless I get tagged in one by my wife. She seems to like to use it as an online photo album, fair enough.

If I want to share photos in future, I'll go over to flickr and let people decide if they want to see them, rather than forcing in on everyone.

Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:26 pm   #69
N1cky Female
Premium Member

It's just tickled me how we're all complaining about reading shit posted by people who are supposed to be our friends on Facebook. But come on here and read endless amounts of shit posted by strangers.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 7:58 pm   #70
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Hands up....but who's been painting? And lets have a look

And speaking of, the littlest one has done just that on the kitchen table a couple days ago...luckily it's got an enamelled top and the marker wiped off easily enough...so she's been trying her luck with the crayons.

Crayons are satans little joke on the world of parents.
If I post the painting, will the person get led to here?
Quote:
There are a handful of people whose photos and news I like to see , that's why I stay on it. It's the ones who just brag all the time that get me.
Quote:
I didn't realize he was that old - how do you stop him?
Quote:
It's just tickled me how we're all complaining about reading shit posted by people who are supposed to be our friends on Facebook. But come on here and read endless amounts of shit posted by strangers.
Yeah but we can be honest on here
Sally Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:01 pm   #71
N1cky Female
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
If I post the painting, will the person get led to here?

There are a handful of people whose photos and news I like to see , that's why I stay on it. It's the ones who just brag all the time that get me.

Yeah but we can be honest on here
Would the person with the painting also have an exceptionally untalented daughter who sings a lot?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:02 pm   #72
Leslie Female
WTF?
Premium Member

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out Sally! It's a trap.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:03 pm   #73
Bash the fash

Quote:
I tell him exactly what kind of shite he'll have to endure if he goes on there; assure him that I will post ridiculous stories on his wall about how he likes to wank at inappropriate times and places.

Then I finish by telling him he's 14 and if he doesn't like the rules, he can sod off. I have administrative control of his computer anyway, so I have to approve a site before he can go to it. We check his phone too, he didn't sneakily install it there.

If he thinks I'm too strict, he can go live with his real father, who left his mother when she was 8 months pregnant - then he'll come to appreciate me

Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:11 pm   #74
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would the person with the painting also have an exceptionally untalented daughter who sings a lot?

Actually it's someone else; she was the birthday message to talented kid
Sally Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:16 pm   #75
N1cky Female
Premium Member

Quote:
I tell him exactly what kind of shite he'll have to endure if he goes on there; assure him that I will post ridiculous stories on his wall about how he likes to wank at inappropriate times and places.

Then I finish by telling him he's 14 and if he doesn't like the rules, he can sod off. I have administrative control of his computer anyway, so I have to approve a site before he can go to it. We check his phone too, he didn't sneakily install it there.

If he thinks I'm too strict, he can go live with his real father, who left his mother when she was 8 months pregnant - then he'll come to appreciate me
You're stricter with yours than I am with our 10 year old.

Quote:

Actually it's someone else; she was the birthday message to talented kid
Wonder which one I was

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge