I'm on Apple 9 29.03%
I get browser hijacks on my phone when on BE 7 22.58%
I get browser hijacks on my tablet when on BE 5 16.13%
I get them a lot - I'm about to lose my mind 6 19.35%
I get them once in a while 4 12.90%
I never get them - I'm cleverer than the rest of you 17 54.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 29th 2017, 6:41 pm   #1

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poll on takeover spammy things and virusy browser hijacking on BE

I, and some others, have been having trouble with browser highjacks with some very dubious content on the mobile platforms of BE.

There has been a thread on this issue for some time in the site issues section, and from time to time IBJoel dutifully shows up and reports the issues to IT. Aside from the whackamole efforts, nothing seems to be happening in terms of actually fixing the underlying problem. I've attached a couple of samples, but you can see more here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/site-.../#post12407084

I thought I would create a poll to see how many people are having this issue, but maybe not reporting it, to get a sense of the size of the problem. Maybe it's just me and a couple of others. Check all that apply.

I suppose I could download some software onto both phone and tablet to stop it, but I'm reluctant to clutter them up (they aren't the newest) when BE is the ONLY site where I have this trouble. Some days the site is almost unusable on my phone, and when the browser is hijacked I have to run a cleaner and restart it every single time to get rid of it, and even then it's right back if I come back to BE.

I know this is a tech issue, but I posted it in The Lounge for more input. Mods, if it has to go in site issues then so be it, but people largely don't look in there.

I'm based in the US, if that makes a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Poll on takeover spammy things and virusy browser hijacking on BE-copy-screenshot_2017-12-29-12-42-25.png   Poll on takeover spammy things and virusy browser hijacking on BE-screenshot_2017-12-29-13-11-39.png  

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Dec 29th 2017 at 6:48 pm.
Lion in Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th 2017, 7:02 pm   #2

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll on takeover spammy things and virusy browser hijacking on BE

Forgot to add. For the clever ones, if you are willing to uncloak and say if you have a particularly anti-virus running, that would be good.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 7:08 pm   #3
rebs Female
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Forgot to add. For the clever ones, if you are willing to uncloak and say if you have a particularly anti-virus running, that would be good.
I’m on apple products and don’t have this issue. On my iPad I use chrome as my browser and run no ad blocker or specific anti virus.

I also have an iPhone, but in truth I almost never look at BE on that so although I haven’t seen the issue there, it might simply be down to lack of opportunity.
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th 2017, 7:11 pm   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
I’m on apple products and don’t have this issue. On my iPad I use chrome as my browser and run no ad blocker or specific anti virus.

I also have an iPhone, but in truth I almost never look at BE on that so although I haven’t seen the issue there, it might simply be down to lack of opportunity.
I'm at a loss. I'm beginning to wonder if it's regional.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 7:14 pm   #5
MsElui Female
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!
Premium Member

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i only access BE on my desktop so its not hitting me at all (not because I am clever)
Old Dec 29th 2017, 7:15 pm   #6
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Phone: Google Fi network, Android 8 with up to date security patch, no special anti-virus.
Tablet: Amazon Fire, no special anti-virus.
Me not getting this problem, thus far, is nothing to do with me being clever, as I have done nothing.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 7:43 pm   #7
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Desktop here so no issues with BE. Re anti-virus software, I was having virus problems while I used a couple of different brands of anti-virus software, on the advice of my tech I now run Bitdefender and haven't had one nasty.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 9:02 pm   #8

I'm on Chrome, so it's not that because some of you have that.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 9:16 pm   #9
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post

Ditto, also use mac os never had a problem, use no addon protection at all.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 9:28 pm   #10

Maybe it's geo-location based?
Old Dec 30th 2017, 12:24 am   #11
RICH Male
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Chrome on android. USA. I am completely unable to function on the phone now on BE. It got worse the last few days. I suspect a virus on the phone is triggered by BE or vice versa. Don't know how to "clean" the phone properly.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 12:53 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH View Post
Chrome on android. USA. I am completely unable to function on the phone now on BE. It got worse the last few days. I suspect a virus on the phone is triggered by BE or vice versa. Don't know how to "clean" the phone properly.
Mine comes and goes in intensity. IB gets one once in a while, then back they come in force.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 1:52 am   #13
Forum Regular

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

I generally browse BE on an iPad when at home, and I was having this problem some time ago. Touch wood, it hasn't happened for a while now, though I'm not sure what happened. I didn't change anything as far as I am aware.
Kiwikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th 2017, 3:18 am   #14
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I mainly access BE on my PC(firefox and Chrome) , never on phone, rarely on tablet(android).
I use AVG Free, Malwarebytes Free, Adblocker plus and Windows defender. I can honestly say I've never had a browser hijack on BE. Maybe I'm just lucky, or it may be where i'm located. For example Adblocker says it has blocked 14 items on BE so far today in this session.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 4:07 am   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
I mainly access BE on my PC(firefox and Chrome) , never on phone, rarely on tablet(android).
I use AVG Free, Malwarebytes Free, Adblocker plus and Windows defender. I can honestly say I've never had a browser hijack on BE. Maybe I'm just lucky, or it may be where i'm located. For example Adblocker says it has blocked 14 items on BE so far today in this session.
I never have the problem on a PC. However, I have now added Adblock to Chrome so we'll see if that makes any difference.

I have no idea how a few of us can get this so badly, and only on BE, and others not at all.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge