TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Other Television Shows

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Procter
Any Billy Bunter fans out there?

Mr. Quelch? Bob Cherry? The Bounder?

D.

"You rotter!" "Yarooh!" "I say you chaps..."

Last edited by TimEh?; Jan 23rd 2003 at 7:04 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 6:58 pm   #17
Forum Regular

Dr. Procter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Procter
The BBC production was aired over a six week period from October to November, 1955.

The Hollywood film (Hammer) was produced later, and the title was changed, I think, to something like "Four Million Miles from Earth".

I have it on tape somewhere; it appears on late-night TV every so often.

http://www.hammerfilms.com/vaults/sc...termassII.html

D.
I'm confused again.

It was *Quatermass and the Pit* which was retitled *Five Million Miles to Earth*. *uaternmass II*was changed to *Enemy from Space*

Anyway - "Winnerton Flats"!

QUATERMASS II (1957/Hammer) 85mins. BW. UK.
Aka: ENEMY FROM SPACE (US).

Credits: Dir: Val Guest; Prod: Anthony Hinds; Ex.Prod: Michael Carreras; Sc: Nigel Kneale & Val Guest; Ph: Gerald Gibbs; Ed: James Needs; Art: Bernard Robinson; Sfx: Bill Warrington, Henry Harris & Frank George; Mu: Phil Leakey; Sound: Cliff Sandell; Mus: James Bernard. From the BBC. television series by Nigel Kneale.

Cast: Brian Donlevy, Marianne Stone, John Longden, Ronald Wilson, Sidney James, Jane Aird, Betty Impey, Bryan Forbes, Lloyd Lamble, William Franklyn, John Stuart, Vera Day, Gilbert Davies, Edwin Richfield, Charles Lloyd Pack, Joyce Adams, Tom Chatto, Howard Williams, Jan Holden, John Van Eyssen, Philip Baird, Percy Herbert, Robert Raikes, Michael Ripper, John Fabian, John Rae, George Merritt, Arthur Blake, Michael Balfour.

While studying some mysterious meteorites, Professor Quatermass, (Donlevy), visits the site where they landed and discovers a research station at Winnerton Flats that is almost an exact replica of a moonbase he has designed. Unable to find out any information about the plant that is supposedly manufacturing synthetic food, Quatermass organises an arranged visit and discovers that the place is an acclimatisation base for invaders from another planet. Quatermass tries to break through government bureaucracy and expose the supposed factory for what it really is.

A simplified entry to the series with many effective sequences despite long moments of wordiness. The film successfully imparts what can happen when society turns a blind eye to what is going on around them.

D.
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 7:28 pm   #18
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by timairey
Great topic Doc.

Anyone remember the kid's programme 'Whirligig" with Mr. Turnip and Humphrey Lestock (HL)?

What about Harry Corbet and Sooty and Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men?
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 8:34 pm   #19
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by flashman
What about Harry Corbet and Sooty and Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men?
Yep How about Andy Pandy (and Looby Loo ?) and Muffin the Mule as well?

Update: Just (now) found this great site everyone (who's interested in this early BBC TV nostalgia stuff):

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/

It's got all the early stuff on it. Remember the Australian Shirley Abicair and her Zither? How about Hank Rides again or early Peter Butterworth appearances. Annette Mills and Prudence Kitten (an offshoot of Muffin the Mule). Richard Hearne's Mr. Pastry. Tons more; this is a great site.

Update on the update:

That site also has video clips from some of the earliest commercials. I really should do some work now.

TimBot

Last edited by TimEh?; Jan 24th 2003 at 4:27 am.
Old Jan 24th 2003, 2:38 am   #20
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by timairey
Yep How about Andy Pandy (and Looby Loo ?) and Muffin the Mule as well?

Update: Just (now) found this great site everyone (who's interested in this early BBC TV nostalgia stuff):

It's got all the early stuff on it. Remember the Australian Shirley Abicair and her Zither? How about Hank Rides again or early Peter Butterworth appearances. Annette Mills and Prudence Kitten (an offshoot of Muffin the Mule). Richard Hearne's Mr. Pastry. Tons more; this is a great site. Yahoo!

Update on the update:

That site also has video clips from some of the earliest commercials. I really should do some work now.

TimBot

This is sooooooo great reading all this "Andy Pandy going to bed "tra la la la" !!!!! me hubby just got out the strait- jacket. but then he's Canadian what does he know ............
Old Jan 24th 2003, 2:44 am   #21
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by jeannie
This is sooooooo great reading all this "Andy Pandy going to bed "tra la la la" !!!!! me hubby just got out the strait- jacket. but then he's Canadian what does he know ............

Just E-mailed the site to my Sis in England she loves it thanks

It is a treasure ........
Old Jan 24th 2003, 10:03 am   #22
Forum Regular

Bertie Durrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course, Mr Pastry - Richard Hearne - how could I forget him, and Bunter of course, can't remember his real name now, but I believe he died a couple of years ago. I think it was all he ever did on TV - too typecast I suppose.

As for Humphrey Lestoq, before I became pro musically, I was a photographer by trade, and for the last few years, I was teaching it at a school of photography in North London. HL's wife was one of my students (it was vocational courses for all ages) and she was a lovely lady. To my shame I can't remember her name now, but we kept in touch for a while after her course, though this is over 20 years ago. She told me the sad tale of how Humphrey was coming home from London and had a heart attack at the railway station - Euston I think - and died there alone.

Just remembered - Bunter was Gerald Campion
Old Jan 24th 2003, 11:41 am   #23
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Another link for those of you reminiscing of tv-days-gone-by:

http://tv.cream.org/

OK (Dr. Proctor, among others...), it doesn't claim to go back as far as the 1950s, but has comments about many tv shows from the 1960s to the 1980s.

The particular find that made me smile, was a summary about 'The Adventure Game'...... (humour me - I was only 4 when it was first aired).

(I should add that I didn't like it quite enough to warrant downloading the theme tune though)

Young_lad
Old Jan 24th 2003, 9:39 pm   #24
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Airey
"You rotter!" "Yarooh!" "I say you chaps..."

This be be for any Ladies anyone rember the Arches on Radio ?????
Old Jan 25th 2003, 9:39 am   #25
Forum Regular

Bertie Durrant is an unknown quantity at this point

'I'm worried about Dan.'
Old Jan 25th 2003, 10:58 pm   #26
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Airey

TimBot
Found the "Interludes" really interesting. I remember watching the "Potter's Wheel" many times. Today having a "Filler" like that would be criminal. I understand that nowadays "Dead Air" is not permitted and has to be filled with a pitch for something.
Old Jan 26th 2003, 2:23 am   #27
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by flashman
Found the "Interludes" really interesting. I remember watching the "Potter's Wheel" many times. Today having a "Filler" like that would be criminal. I understand that nowadays "Dead Air" is not permitted and has to be filled with a pitch for something.
I also remember the "Interlude" where one would seem to be in a very slow boat going down some fairly large river. It always frustrated me that you never ever got further than a certain point in the river.

We rented a CD of South Pacific recently and It actually had an interlude in it... Must be time to go and get a choc ice from the ice cream lady.

Tim
Old Jan 26th 2003, 2:31 am   #28
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by jeannie
This be be for any Ladies anyone rember the Arches on Radio ?????
You do the same thing with remember (remeber) like wot I do.

Did you mean Arches or Archers?

Speaking of which:

Who remembers that song by Flannegan and Allan:

"Underneath the Arches, tra, la, la, lah, laaaaaaa"?

Just dated myself again
Old Feb 4th 2003, 9:36 pm   #29
BE Enthusiast

I don't know why this show came to mind today:

Sunday Night at the London Palladium with Tommy Trinder ("you lucky people") et al and the segment "Beat the Clock." I also remember having a late tea (sardines on toast, typically) with my Mum and Dad and watching that show and other Sunday night favourites (like "I Love Lucy," for example). Dammit, just dated myself again (I was very young - honest). How about "War at Sea"? (dammit!).
Old Feb 8th 2003, 10:41 pm   #30
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I should resist......but I just cant. It was "I'm worried about JIM" from a radio show (or wireless as we called it!)....Mrs Dale's Diary.
The Archers, which is of course still running and probably will for ever (!) wasnt associated with that catchphrase.
(I have just realised how sad I am...............ah well)
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge