Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:41 pm   #1
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Orphanage....

I have mentioned, in another thread, my involvement with an orphanage here in Peru. I was kindly given permission by the Mods to start this thread which is, to be honest, a plea for help. My signature is the link to my blog about the Westfalia Orphanage but here is a link to the photo page with most of the children's individual photos. http://thechildrenofwestfaliaorphana...vidual-photos/

I am working on this project with an Australian bloke, super guy, to provide for the many needs of the children at Westfalia, but we cannot do it alone. Sadly this orphanage receives no financial support from the government and relies completely on donations to carry out day to day functions and pay the costs involved, provide school materials, clothing and most significantly in terms of cost, food. While they do grow some vegetables the yield is totally insufficient for more than 90 children. As for meat, if they are lucky, once every few weeks. They raise and breed Cuy (guinea pig) to provide some meat (a common food in the mountain areas and for some here in Lima) but they cull the numbers perhaps once every four months (the amount of time, on average, that it takes for impregnated Cuy to deliver) so as not to eliminate or severely reduce the population of Cuy that they have.

At the moment they are seriously concerned about food supplies for December, January and February as they do not have sufficient committed donations to ensure regular meals for the children. Breakfast, as it is, is usually only milk with cocoa and lunch a rather watery soup without much other content. Anyone with children knows how much it takes to feed growing kids. And there are 90 of them. We need to buy bulk quantities of everything from rice to flour (they bake their own bread) sugar, beans, chic peas, other dried vegetables for soups, cooking oil, oats, potatoes, onions, carrots, corn and fruit. This obviously takes money. I do what I can every month, but needless to say it is a drop in the bucket in terms of overall needs.

We are also trying to organize repair and paint parties to upgrade bedrooms, kitchens, bathrooms etc. (some photos on the blog will show a bit about those needs). We have organized a drive to acquire donors to provide Christmas gifts. It is a very time consuming commitment and it makes me crazy and sad and happy and I love it and it will be my commitment for as long as I am able.

I relate to these children because I came from a background not all that dissimilar in many ways. I was lucky and life became better for me. I raised my children with a willingness to sacrifice all for them. I have the same commitment to the 90 plus children at Westfalia. I do what I can with time and money, and now I would ask those here who might be willing to help with a donation to purchase food to use the donation link on this webpage, http://thechildrenofwestfaliaorphana...-you-can-help/. It goes to an account that we use to make purchases of various necessities. We had set a target of $5,000 before Christmas and so far it is very slow going, but we will take what we can get.

I thank those of you who took the time to read this. My eternal gratitude goes to those of you who participate, whatever amount you feel you can afford. I would like to know who participates so that they can be recognized and thanked on the webpage, by B.E. nickname or real name, their choice. Thank you again for taking the time.

Direct link for donations. http://westfaliaorphanage.chipin.com...alia-orphanage

http://thechildrenofwestfaliaorphanage.com/

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 4th 2011 at 11:09 pm.
dakota44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:58 pm   #2
Sue
Administrator

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orphanage....

Kudos to you for all you do for this organisation. You make a different in the lives of others and I'm sure that they truly appreciate that.

I would love to help in whatever way I can.

Do you have a direct link to the donation page as I can't seem to locate it?

Sue
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:01 pm   #3

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Kudos to you for all you do for this organisation. You make a different in the lives of others and I'm sure that they truly appreciate that.

Sue
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...3db8e87506be10

Saw it. Wanted it. Had a fit. Got it.
Please God give me patience and do it now.
Jerseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:05 pm   #4
Sue
Administrator

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Thanks but that link doesn't work for me.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:08 pm   #5
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
try this. http://westfaliaorphanage.chipin.com...alia-orphanage

Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:10 pm   #6

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's odd it works for me.

Try http://westfaliaorphanage.chipin.com...alia-orphanage and click on 'ChipIn' on the top right hand side of the page. That should take you to the first link I posted.

Saw it. Wanted it. Had a fit. Got it.
Please God give me patience and do it now.
Jerseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:11 pm   #7
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:

Sue
I get a lot of emotional benefit from it. It is really quite good for the old heart.

http://westfaliaorphanage.chipin.com...alia-orphanage

Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:24 pm   #8
Sue
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Quote:

Try http://westfaliaorphanage.chipin.com...alia-orphanage and click on 'ChipIn' on the top right hand side of the page. That should take you to the first link I posted.
Yep that's it. Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:24 pm   #9
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Yep that's it. Thanks
Thank you. Lizbeth thanks you.
Attached Thumbnails
Orphanage....-p1010063.jpg  

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 4th 2011 at 11:29 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:24 pm   #10
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:

Thanks JG. Cris Jade thanks you.
Attached Thumbnails
Orphanage....-p1010021.jpg  

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 4th 2011 at 11:27 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:38 pm   #11
Sue
Administrator

dakota44 how did your involvement with the orphanage start?
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:45 pm   #12
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
dakota44 how did your involvement with the orphanage start?
One of the guys, Scott, who used to teach at the same institute has been involved for some time. He mentioned it and I said I wanted to go. I fell in love with the place and the kids. Scott was feeling like he was in it alone lately and I think he is really happy to have someone doing this with him and we are having a great time planning so many things that need to be done. Hope to get a painting project going sometime soon, abut 25 bedrooms. lol That will be a lot of work. Plus window repair, screens for the windows because of mosquitoes etc. I think my life is planned for the foreseeable future.
We try to go every Sunday. It's about an hour to get there, or more when we stop to buy fruit or other things to take. I have gotten many of my students involved now for Christmas gifts. They make me very proud of them for being excited to participate. If I have one weakness, it's kids. They get to me like nothing else can.
Scott started an organization a few years ago called Sonrisas en Peru (Smiles in Peru) and that is where the money goes to support the orphanage. At one point he was working with the orphanage, a school in Cusco and another small town, but now the focus is on the orphanage. He is a really good bloke.

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 4th 2011 at 11:50 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:02 am   #13
Sue
Administrator

That's terrific. It sounds like a time consuming, but rewarding, task.

I've got friends that got involved with a orphanage in Brazil and every summer they go down and help with maintenance and stuff.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:04 am   #14
GIOLLA AN DÚLRA
Premium Member

willmore has disabled reputation

The pics of the kids are adorable. Hope my contribution helps make their difficult lives a bit happier......and good for you for helping these kids.....they are our future......

Tolerance is the virtue that makes peace possible!
willmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:06 am   #15
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
That's terrific. It sounds like a time consuming, but rewarding, task.

I've got friends that got involved with a orphanage in Brazil and every summer they go down and help with maintenance and stuff.
Visiting volunteers like that are a very welcome contribution. The orphanage in Cienegilla has a sort of residence on the second floor of one of the houses where visiting volunteers can stay while they are there. They do not get many, but they do get some from Germany because it was a group of Germans who provided the funding to build the place and they still provide some support, even though it is not enough to deal with every issue. After 22 years the place needs so much work.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge