Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:24 pm   #16
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Which company did you use?
Ancestry.com. Should have said that earlier.

It'd be interesting to do another test from a different company too see how similar they are.

By far the most interesting was my son's test. His biological father is Mexican, so he had, apart from the British/Irish/Western Europe/Scandinavia from his mother 20% Iberian Peninsula (some of which was from my wife) and 23% Native American. Also a bunch of Africa in there too. Something like 5% Nigerian, Senegalese and North African.

The most interesting part of his though was his percentage of Irish showed that he got at least some of it from his dad, when you extrapolate the numbers based on my wife's test. I believe a grandfather or great grandfather on that side was from Spain, but they also have some Irish in that line too.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:12 pm   #17
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Not sure what you mean by African or Indian markers, do you mean Y-DNA and MtDna that is specific to Africa and the subcontinent? DNA ancestry tests don't show any African "markers" from way back when humans originated in Africa.
Don't ask me Boomhauer Thats way too technical ......
GeniB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:14 pm   #18
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I did one of those not long ago as well. My results were:

Great Britain: 71%
Ireland: 22%
(Not surprising, and there is an overlap between the two regions as well - Scotland appears in both and both my mother and father's family lines are Scottish).

Then my low confidence regions are:
Europe West: 4%
Scandinavia: 1%
European Jewish: 1%
Caucasus: 1% (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey)

I also have a genetic community: Scots in central Scotland and Ulster, Ireland.
Yikes I bet you took the Ancestory.com test Its more advanced than the one I took ,but as Portugal isn't recognised as belonging to this world
I couldn't access it... (exits stage left-in flames)
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:19 pm   #19
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Ancestry.com. Should have said that earlier.

It'd be interesting to do another test from a different company too see how similar they are.

By far the most interesting was my son's test. His biological father is Mexican, so he had, apart from the British/Irish/Western Europe/Scandinavia from his mother 20% Iberian Peninsula (some of which was from my wife) and 23% Native American. Also a bunch of Africa in there too. Something like 5% Nigerian, Senegalese and North African.

The most interesting part of his though was his percentage of Irish showed that he got at least some of it from his dad, when you extrapolate the numbers based on my wife's test. I believe a grandfather or great grandfather on that side was from Spain, but they also have some Irish in that line too.
Maybe you can answer Boomhauer's question about the African bit.
wouldn't it be great if every member of congress had to take the test..
I know Prince William discovered that he had African ancestry.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:41 pm   #20
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Yikes I bet you took the Ancestory.com test Its more advanced than the one I took ,but as Portugal isn't recognised as belonging to this world
Yeah, it was Ancestry. My wife, our son and I took one each (we didn't have our daughter do one because she's just 50% of each of us, but because my son's biological father is Mexican we wanted to see his).

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but are you Portuguese by birth? You'd expect to see some Iberian Peninsula in there if you were. I mean, even my wife had like 6%, and she's mostly German

Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:43 pm   #21
Bash the fash

Quote:
Maybe you can answer Boomhauer's question about the African bit.
wouldn't it be great if every member of congress had to take the test..
I know Prince William discovered that he had African ancestry.
Not sure how the African markers work. Obviously or origins are African (East African is generally the accepted one, but I read they found evidence of 300,000 year old Homo Sapiens fossil remains in Morocco recently too), but I'm sure those genetic markers are hard to detect as we spread out around the world due to mutations.

My wife has some Nigerian DNA though. Couple of percent.

Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:46 pm   #22
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Yeah, it was Ancestry. My wife, our son and I took one each (we didn't have our daughter do one because she's just 50% of each of us, but because my son's biological father is Mexican we wanted to see his).

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but are you Portuguese by birth? You'd expect to see some Iberian Peninsula in there if you were. I mean, even my wife had like 6%, and she's mostly German
Nope .. just live here.

I was intrigued with the Northern European bit ,as legend would have it we have a Flemish or French ancestor who might have been a Huguenot ..The only one my cousin couldn't trace when she did the family tree. At least this gives me an idea she might well have existed. Often wondered if she was a lace maker. Lots of craft(y )people in our family on the female side
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:50 pm   #23
Bash the fash

Quote:
Nope .. just live here.
Well that makes a bit more sense, then

Quote:
I was intrigued with the Northern European bit ,as legend would have it we have a Flemish or French ancestor who might have been a Huguenot ..The only one my cousin couldn't trace when she did the family tree. At least this gives me an idea she might well have existed. Often wondered if she was a lace maker. Lots of craft(y )people in our family on the female side
Well that seems to make sense if you have French/Belgian/Dutch markers.

What I liked was seeing how my wife's results compared with her grandmother's and son's when you calculate the percentages. Because they both did Ancestry kits they showed up as DNA matches. The numbers all bear out as you compare the different markers.

Old Sep 26th 2017, 5:00 pm   #24
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Not sure how the African markers work. Obviously or origins are African (East African is generally the accepted one, but I read they found evidence of 300,000 year old Homo Sapiens fossil remains in Morocco recently too), but I'm sure those genetic markers are hard to detect as we spread out around the world due to mutations.

My wife has some Nigerian DNA though. Couple of percent.
The Portuguese are also claiming some very ancient sites too.earlier than those in Africa .

Of course I am convinced that Silves was the capitol of Atlantis... (read Peter Daughterey's book Atlantis and the Silver city) Its annoying but its actually illegal to own a metal detector here.. Love to wander around that city with mine. Tried to get my ED to interest her employer (Paul Allen) with a copy.Too professional to do it though.. I did suggest just lobbing it over his wall... There's a massive sunken coast that needs exploring.(.in his little boat.)

PD claims that the remains of these Atlantans (tall and red haired) have been found in the USA.But along with the skeletons of 8ft giants have been hidden away in the back of museums. The policy being that there WAS no one in the USA before the Indians.. Patently not true... but there you go..

We don't have global warming either...
Old Sep 26th 2017, 5:03 pm   #25
Bash the fash

Quote:
The Portuguese are also claiming some very ancient sites too.earlier than those in Africa .

Of course I am convinced that Silves was the capitol of Atlantis... (read Peter Daughterey's book Atlantis and the Silver city) Its annoying but its actually illegal to own a metal detector here.. Love to wander around that city with mine. Tried to get my ED to interest her employer (Paul Allen) with a copy.Too professional to do it though.. I did suggest just lobbing it over his wall... There's a massive sunken coast that needs exploring.(.in his little boat.)

PD claims that the remains of these Atlantans (tall and red haired) have been found in the USA.But along with the skeletons of 8ft giants have been hidden away in the back of museums. The policy being that there WAS no one in the USA before the Indians.. Patently not true... but there you go..

We don't have global warming either...

Old Sep 26th 2017, 5:29 pm   #26
Shard Male
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which one did you take?

Portugal is cool..at least Lisboa is.
Shard is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge